Lewis Hall

Paully

11 hours ago, STM said:

I watched Eddie's press conference and IMO he kind of implied that Halls transfer was a mistake.

Aye, got that vibe too. Paraphrasing : 'We're never going to get every transfer right... I'm not talking about Lewis specifically... just.. in general'.

He starts with "well he's near the first team..." then says "I think a broader look at this one..." and answers another thread of Bird's rambling question(s).

His response was weird like, but he clearly segregates talking about Hall and our transfers in general.

20 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He starts with "well he's near the first team..." then says "I think a broader look at this one..." and answers another thread of Bird's rambling question(s).

His response was weird like, but he clearly segregates talking about Hall and our transfers in general.

I thought he was talking about Lewis halls transfer personally.

46 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I thought he was talking about Lewis halls transfer personally.

It could have been a fraudulent slip, but he very clearly segregates his answer.

His exact words are:

"well he's near the first team. I think a broader look at this one..."

Edited by Hanshithispantz

10 hours ago, HawK said:

Aye, got that vibe too. Paraphrasing : 'We're never going to get every transfer right... I'm not talking about Lewis specifically... just.. in general'.

Didn't come across like that to me,  seemed he was more stressing how important it is for us to get our transfers right because of FFP. Reading between the lines I'd say a permanent transfer isn't a foregone conclusion and as it stands they're not inclined to make it one.

Would love it if it was somehow a masterstroke to scupper Chelsea's FFP position. Appear to make a permanent transfer a formality knowing Chelsea wouldn't be able to resist reinvesting the earnings. Then send them back an asset with a vastly diminished value that Chelsea don't really need themselves but probably have to sell. Maybe we'll round the circle and end up buying him off them at a discount. Feels like this is the type of shit we need to be pulling to break the monopoly of the big spenders.

Baffles me a lot, I’m tempted to think he will come good, just not yet.  

To look at the lad at Chelsea he looked like someone they would never sell and we would never be able to get. To look at him here he looks decent with great technical quality, albeit extremely different to Dan Burn. 

I think a lot will depend on the direction we decide to go. If we decide to sign someone more similar to Burn so we can continue the same way, Hall doesn’t fit. Maybe in that case he would end up as a midfielder. Even Tino hasn’t been getting games, that tells me that it’s more about the player profile than the individual quality.  

Otherwise we could change a bit and he might become our first choice LB soonish. 

Either way I think we will sign him permanently, seemed like nailed on when he came in. 

Yeah, that’s what I meant, the first bit anyway. 

Not sure about wanting to send him back. We knew his profile when we signed him, nothing has really changed there. 

Hard to say unless we could talk to the management team about their plans. He’s very young in a difficult season, could just be a matter of time. I dunno. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 hours ago, jackflap said:

Didn't come across like that to me,  seemed he was more stressing how important it is for us to get our transfers right because of FFP. Reading between the lines I'd say a permanent transfer isn't a foregone conclusion and as it stands they're not inclined to make it one.

Would love it if it was somehow a masterstroke to scupper Chelsea's FFP position. Appear to make a permanent transfer a formality knowing Chelsea wouldn't be able to resist reinvesting the earnings. Then send them back an asset with a vastly diminished value that Chelsea don't really need themselves but probably have to sell. Maybe we'll round the circle and end up buying him off them at a discount. Feels like this is the type of shit we need to be pulling to break the monopoly of the big spenders.

It would be clever, but I'd be pretty horrified if we'd set out to fuck up a young kid's life to to play games with a competitor's accounting procedures. I don't believe it. Incidentally, Boehly's one of the few owners who's halfway friendly with our owners.

Re: the Lewis Hall/transfers question, I basically thought Howe was dissembling. Trying to avoid giving away too many of his true thoughts on the situation. If we're saying that he had clearly differentiated his answer on Hall from his answer on transfers generally (grammatically, he had), then effectively he no commented Bird's question, which was always intended to be about Hall.

Again, what's interesting is all the different things he often does say about others that he didn't say about Hall. That he's a big prospect who can play a role for years to come. That outsiders don't see all the contributions and advancements he's making in training. That he's knocking on the door. That he's so determined to succeed here. That he enjoys working with him. That he's a lovely lad from a good family. He just lets his reputation die on the vine. Part of me kind of hopes and assumes Hall is an arsehole to be honest, because if he isn't, it's pretty hard to justify this kind of treatment as being good enough.

14 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Poor lad. Feel for him.

Especially considering how proud his parents were when he signed for club his dad supported. 

This now looks like an Ashworth deal and the lad has borne the brunt of internal politics at play.

3 hours ago, Menace said:

If it helps, he absolutely leathered all his chances at half time training into the goal quite confidently. :lol:

I don't know if that helps :lol:

8 hours ago, Menace said:

If it helps, he absolutely leathered all his chances at half time training into the goal quite confidently. :lol:

Did he not sky any over the bar?  Well that’s him not getting picked

53 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

What confuses me is why even pick him as one of your match day subs? 

Irrespective of his ability that must destroy his confidence every week knowing that he will never ever get on

If we hadn’t had the injury crisis, I dare say he would have hardly made the bench at all.

22 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

What confuses me is why even pick him as one of your match day subs? 

Irrespective of his ability that must destroy his confidence every week knowing that he will never ever get on

Agreed.

Why not let him play every week in youth games

Howe has turned an up and coming prospect with premier league playing experience into a youth development player. Takes some doing that mind 😂 and if he does go back to Chelsea I cannot see them being to happy about it his price would've dropped massively.