Lewis Hall

Paully

It was Lampard who switched him to LB from playing in midfield so he has very little experience playing there. Reading various comments over the last few months it seems like Eddie is spending a year educating and coaching him. Let's face it he did it with a couple of our players and massively improved them

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Bolded = selling players

It's not like we're fly pitchers, we can't just knock out a few more players. Hardly had a ball of success there to be relying on it as a strategy. You suggesting we'd sell a player we might not have anyway just to overpay in a deal for a development LB when we can back out.. Especially when there's an added bonus of compromising a rivals FFP position or at least maybe scuppering some of their summer transfer plans. There's no way the kid has gone from being deemed good enough to start away from home in a key CL tie to watching Matt Richie to come off the bench without there being uncertainty from the club whether to pursue the deal.

worrying if as seems Eddie doesn't rate him :howe: also not overly keen that we'd be helping Chelsea with their FFP issue 

18 hours ago, jackyboy said:

It was Lampard who switched him to LB from playing in midfield so he has very little experience playing there. Reading various comments over the last few months it seems like Eddie is spending a year educating and coaching him. Let's face it he did it with a couple of our players and massively improved them

This alone suggests he is an LB and not a midfielder.

2 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

I think he will be a top top player 

I think he'll go back to Chelsea, be completely forgotten about, and only remembered when he's playing for Shrewbury when we draw them in a cup in a few years

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I think he'll go back to Chelsea, be completely forgotten about, and only remembered when he's playing for Shrewbury when we draw them in a cup in a few years

It’s already pretty much guaranteed that he’s signing for us so he only goes back to Chelsea if we loan or sell him there 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s already pretty much guaranteed that he’s signing for us so he only goes back to Chelsea if we loan or sell him there 

Says who? Unless you've got info on the contract, there's only hearsay and rumour

10 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Says who? Unless you've got info on the contract, there's only hearsay and rumour

I'm sure Eddie Howe said it just recently.

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I'm pretty sure he actively dodged answering the question directly

Eddie was talking to The Athletic and said something along the lines of "Lewis is expected to be here for a long time.  He is not for the short time but a long future here".  Sorry I don't know how to copy and paste.

There’s some cope in this because it’s painful to spend that much on a player who may still be a ways from contributing, but because of the wages he’ll be cheaper on an annual basis than a free transfer like Youri Tielemans. I know who I’d prefer on a multi-year basis.

Beyond inefficiently using our relatively limited finances, I do worry about what his position is and if he’s the profile of LB we even want to be playing with.

6 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think he will be class long term. He's still young and has loads of potential. I'm fairly sure we have to buy him so let's support the lad. 

It'd be easier to support him, if we actually got to see him...

3 hours ago, Joe1984 said:

It'd be easier to support him, if we actually got to see him...

Indeed. All a bit speculative, but I wonder if one of the areas that worries Eddie is Hall's ability to defend the back post against tall opponents. Not a problem for Burn obviously, and full backs with that weakness can be easily targeted. Some soft goals can be given away. (Remember Poyet v Nobby, FA Cup semi-final?)

Having a back three and playing Hall as a wing back might ease that problem, but that's not Eddie's preferred formation.

If he signs if we finish top 15, then the decisions not to play him despite at times not having a fit first team XI available become even more marked.  Watching our midfield being bypassed with young Miley in it week after week, or BDB having a horrendous spell of form at LB, and Hall not getting a single minute looks like either poor management or that the lad isn’t close to being good enough at this point, in which case he’s a complete waste of the £30m we’re about to spend on him.  He might become the world’s best LB in five years, but for now this looks like bad business. 

I think the transformation of Anthony Gordon is a great template for any young player who wants to achieve their potential.

The player has to want it though, want it bad, real bad….

He is slightly larger than Trippier on the right so I don't think it is size holding him back. I think we bought him as a project and Eddie Howe is famously taking it slow with getting a new player time on the field.  Also he only had nine appearances (658') in 22/23 with Chelsea. He has eight (104') with us. What he is not getting is U21 games that he had at Chelsea and more game minutes but it was probably worth it to get the 45' in the Champions League.