Lewis Hall

Paully

Find it a bit strange praising Howe for this. Howe has done miracles with this team, but Hall is not one of them. Hes only playing because of the injury situation. If everyone was fit Hall would be on the bench, and Burn playing yesterday.

3 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Find it a bit strange praising Howe for this. Howe has done miracles with this team, but Hall is not one of them. Hes only playing because of the injury situation. If everyone was fit Hall would be on the bench, and Burn playing yesterday.

Perhaps because had he been thrown in straight away it would have harmed his development more than being on the bench.  Ultimately no-one other than the management team know why they have held him back, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

Perhaps because had he been thrown in straight away it would have harmed his development more than being on the bench.  Ultimately no-one other than the management team know why they have held him back, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt

They’ve got it right before too. Either way he looks like a really positive exciting option for the club moving forwards.

10 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Aye I dont think he was ready to play straight away, but lets not pretend that we now has found out hes good and ready to go, and therefore he is playing. Hes playing now because we dont have any choice or alternative.

2 hours ago, Dan Gleebals said:

He is only 19!

Think Eddie has played it perfectly with him. Yes, it made no sense at the time, when we had no players but he was clearly not ready then, but looking like he might be now. 

If he can finish the season at LB, it will give him a lot of confidence going into the summer and next season.

Yep, easy to forget the age. I know we paid a lot for him but he was relatively inexperienced still. He's only 5-6 weeks older than Alex Murphy for instance who is nowhere near Hall but we still have hopes for. So much potential.

51 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I'm going to make a massive assumption here...

Howe knows what he is doing given he is with the players everyday 

Could be wrong though 

Technically nothing he's done has surprised me, saw enough in his short stints at Chelsea to see he has technical ability but the area of his game that has impressed me is aerially, been pleasantly surprised by how well he's done dealing with that part of the game

2 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Aye I dont think he was ready to play straight away, but lets not pretend that we now has found out hes good and ready to go, and therefore he is playing. Hes playing now because we dont have any choice or alternative.

You don't know that.

45 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We didn’t sign Hall for no reason, we signed him because we could see his quality and potential and had a long-term plan to make him a member of our team. 

Next season all the cartel clubs client journos will be claiming we won’t be able to hang on to him!!

43 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I think there is enough evidence to know that.

Yes, this is where it gets silly - when there are attempts to gaslight you into not believing the evidence of your own eyes.

Every combination of defenders that didn't involve starting Hall was used until finally Targett, Livramento, Trippier, Lascelles and Botman were all simultaneously injured and we couldn't avoid moving Burn to CB. That's the only reasonable explanation for why Hall has had a run since the West Ham game which crippled our backline. Clinging onto the belief Howe just happened to think Hall had finally stepped up his game in time for the next match is mental.

Now, I have a lot of sympathy for @Kanji's point about Joelinton and Ciaran Clark. There's a lot of serendipity in football and life, and a lot of what separates great managers from the rest is the ability to take advantage of it. See Bobby Robson and Francis Jeffers. So this issue doesn't need to get litigated to death, what's done is done. But just making up stuff to match your feelings that Eddie Howe is the best dude ever and anyone who doesn't know it stinks is stupid.

18 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yes, this is where it gets silly - when there are attempts to gaslight you into not believing the evidence of your own eyes.

Every combination of defenders that didn't involve starting Hall was used until finally Targett, Livramento, Trippier, Lascelles and Botman were all simultaneously injured and we couldn't avoid moving Burn to CB. That's the only reasonable explanation for why Hall has had a run since the West Ham game which crippled our backline. Clinging onto the belief Howe just happened to think Hall had finally stepped up his game in time for the next match is mental.

Now, I have a lot of sympathy for @Kanji's point about Joelinton and Ciaran Clark. There's a lot of serendipity in football and life, and a lot of what separates great managers from the rest is the ability to take advantage of it. See Bobby Robson and Francis Jeffers. So this issue doesn't need to get litigated to death, what's done is done. But just making up stuff to match your feelings that Eddie Howe is the best dude ever and anyone who doesn't know it stinks is stupid.

Why do you think we signed Hall?

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Why do you think we signed Hall?

To be marginally ahead of Dummett in the pecking order of course, everyone knows that. But back to the original subject, eh?

We know Howe is very conservative when it comes to giving time to youngsters, and conservative about rotations even when we have a full squad available of fit players.

Did it take a bit longer for Hall to be given an extended period of time to show what he can do than what most would have liked? Yes.

Does it matter in the bigger picture now that he has the chance to impress at LB for the remainder of the season, and seems to be taking his chance? No.

I think this will be a thing that will be discussed when it comes to our young talents for as long as Howe is here. I love managers that aren't afraid to give time to youngsters, but I wouldn't swap Howe for anyone regardless.

54 minutes ago, 80 said:

Not that I think Burn should be playing left back. He’s a CB but I can see why Howe (and every other top manager in the league) likes to play at least three CB’s in a back 4 often playing a CB at left back.

When we don’t we concede a lot from set pieces. See our games against Burnley and Arsenal for example.

I have faith that Hall will be class but I worry that set pieces decide so many games now. Look how tall Man City and Arsenals teams are now. I wouldn’t be confident defending a set piece against them with Trippier and Hall as full backs.

I do think a lot of our fans overlook this. Unfortunately top managers like height in defence and I can see why.

i just hope our fans are patient if Kelly for example gets a run in at the start of next season ahead of Hall.

26 minutes ago, 80 said:

To be marginally ahead of Dummett in the pecking order of course, everyone knows that. But back to the original subject, eh?

I don't see the controversy in stating the obvious - Howe is not an infallible manager, nor some all-knowing oracle. He's allowed to get things wrong. In hindsight, it seems beyond reproach that they could've gotten the ball rolling with Lewis ~6 months earlier, even if that just meant subbing the lad on at 60 mins when we're up a couple goals or blowing out the opposition (think Sheff United in the fall)

The top managers in the world make mistakes (all of the time). Hell... Pep just sold Cole for a pittance for goodness sake. But no one thinks that calls into question his overall competence as a manager.

14 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Not that I think Burn should be playing left back. He’s a CB but I can see why Howe (and every other top manager in the league) likes to play at least three CB’s in a back 4 often playing a CB at left back.

When we don’t we concede a lot from set pieces. See our games against Burnley and Arsenal for example.

I have faith that Hall will be class but I worry that set pieces decide so many games now. Look how tall Man City and Arsenals teams are now. I wouldn’t be confident defending a set piece against them with Trippier and Hall as full backs.

I do think a lot of our fans overlook this. Unfortunately top managers like height in defence and I can see why.

i just hope our fans are patient if Kelly for example gets a run in at the start of next season ahead of Hall.

Yeah, it's a fair argument. Specifically re: Burn, rather than another tall CB/LB, the counterpoint is how much weaker in various other areas he and we are when he's out on the left, though. 

If size is the killer point for Howe though it's going to be a struggle for Hall as the one thing he probably can't do is grow...

12 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yeah, it's a fair argument. Specifically re: Burn, rather than another tall CB/LB, the counterpoint is how much weaker in various other areas he and we are when he's out on the left, though. 

If size is the killer point for Howe though it's going to be a struggle for Hall as the one thing he probably can't do is grow...

Yeah I don’t think that’s Howe though. I think that’s any top manager these days. I don’t think that signals the end for Hall either.

It may be just more rotation based against the bigger teams (Man city, Arsenal, Liverpool). Then against the smaller weaker teams (bottom 5) we can play two small full backs.

3 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

This is a mental take in my opinion, we've lost just as many goals because of Burn at LB than it has saved from set pieces. 

what would be the point of signing him if we dont want to play him because of his height?

Once we're back to full strength, there is no reason we can play both Trippier and Hall. Only them 2 and Bruno are actually short in our team.

7 hours ago, Kanji said:

If it wasn’t for Clark red card, Joelinton maybe never plays in midfield. It happens. 

Do you think he would put Wilson in midfield in the same situation?