Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Don’t think City were at their best and yet should’ve won with a greater margin.  

Thought the scoreline reflected the game. The better team won with one of the only bits of on the ball quality in the game.

Off the ball they were immense though.

Hardest start in the league statistically, hardest game in the season tonight and we came out with a single goal loss.

A few points to note, Grealish is overrated, spent most of the time on the deck moaning at the ref (how he didn't get a yellow I'll never know) Foden is a class above, he was unreal tonight and when he's like that he's unplayable. I thought we defended magnificently, although we fell far too deep too quickly in the first half, we were more balanced in the second and for some poor judgement could have got something tonight.

I said it before and I'll say it again, yes we made mistakes and yes we were far from our best, but City strangled and suffocated us out of the game, forced us into errors and quick decisions that were ultimately mistakes that turned the ball over. I don't think we had anything to be ashamed of or that any of our players deserve any particular vitriol. We were beaten by a side that even weakened, is better than us in every department.

On to Liverpool and as others have said, we need to bounce back and give that arrogant prick Klopp a lesson, we owe them for two horrific games last season. For me, beating Liverpool is a lot more important than City away.

38 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Thought we played well as a team but individually quite poor in midfield.

Best quality of the the game won it.

City are a boring side to watch as I've said many times before.

We’re City a boring team to watch when we drew at SJP 3-3 last season, sometimes when a team has 6 or 7 first team injuries they have to dig in to get a result. City should of won this game 2-0 or 3-0 if Haaland had his shooting boots on. Newcastle didn’t turn up it happens in football, no need to have a go at City because of it.

We still haven’t got our De Bruyne or Salah difference maker teams need against the best.

I think Barnes and Gordon are decent signings at this point and where we’re currently at, but still don’t think we’ve got enough quality in final 3rd against the real top teams.

Tonight’s a good reality check and will keep expectations in check, we’ll be around top 6 but still at least 3 players short of competing with the very best.

In many ways the next step will be the hardest for Howe as expectations are through the roof.

To be honest players like ASM or Maddison would have made a huge different this game. We are lacking those truly creative players in midfield that can make something out of nothing. If teams mark Isak out the game, our creativity in 1 in 1 situations isn’t that great. Look at Foden today where he was almost unplayable one on one. 

If we are being honest Gordon is going to have to improve a lot to justify the ASM sale. 

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

We still haven’t got our De Bruyne or Salah difference maker teams need against the best.

I think Barnes and Gordon are decent signings at this point and where we’re currently at, but still don’t think we’ve got enough quality in final 3rd against the real top teams.

Tonight’s a good reality check and will keep expectations in check, we’ll be around top 6 but still at least 3 players short of competing with the very best.

In many ways the next step will be the hardest for Howe as expectations are through the roof.

Agree and disagree. As Sir Bobby said the step from 4th to 3rd is hard, from 3rd to 2nd is even harder, or something like that. But expectations are in check, I've yet to hear anyone expecting 3rd or better.

4 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

To be honest players like ASM or Maddison would have made a huge different this game. We are lacking those truly creative players in midfield that can make something out of nothing. If teams mark Isak out the game, our creativity in 1 in 1 situations isn’t that great. Look at Foden today where he was almost unplayable one on one. 

If we are being honest Gordon is going to have to improve a lot to justify the ASM sale. 

Have you heard of "packing" as a football data style stat ?

Edited by madras

20 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Thought the scoreline reflected the game. The better team won with one of the only bits of on the ball quality in the game.

Off the ball they were immense though.

I would agree as City often fluffed the final ball or the crucial touch. They scored a great goal and missed better chances. Our defenders played well too though.   

12 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Agree. And I think that’s why there is a bit of frustration with Bruno tonight, which on reflection is harsh on him. We are desperate for him to be that game-changer but he isn’t it. So we need to find to find that game-changer that Bruno and Tonali can play alongside. 

We are significantly behind City and probably a little bit behind Arsenal too. We shouldn’t fear anyone else this season though so 3rd is a realistic target to go for.

People seem to completely forget city are playing their first home match of the season, despite what you think of their fans and support. It’s their home comforts under the lights. Whatever happened in the last week is completely irrelevant. 

Good marker of a game and great to have it out the way already…

As I predicted pre match (apologies 😆) but thought Foden would be the danger and no surprise he bagged MOTM. What a talent and England (and Man City) both need a way to figure out how to fit him into their 1st not 2nd team.

As for us I felt we were a little nervous on the ball overall with too many cheap turnovers. City always give away a couple of dozy chances and unfortunately we didn’t capitalise on them. Scoreline though will give us confidence going forward though.

Individually it highlighted what I’ve posted before. Bruno is very good but not great. Physically too slow and if anyone fears Real Madrid are in for him then I’m not sure what more i can say to assure you. He’ll resign for us and play a great part in our transition hopefully to even greater things. I’ll agree with the majority that Barnes over a season is a better fit to our system however what I would’ve done for ASM those last 15/20mins when City got a little twitchy.

Thought the back five were very good as a unit. Trippier had Grealish in his pocket. Botman likewise with Haaland. Schär who i had the biggest doubts alongside Burn were both positionally excellent.

Front three toiled best they could. Shame that three on one was Wilson not Isak as he probably would’ve made the correct pass.

Tactically I would’ve liked us to go old school and played Joelinton up alongside Isak. Brentford have caused Man City the most problems recently for a reason. Thought we could’ve mixed it up a little more.

Fair play to City though. Best time to play them and they were very good. Felt like a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather. On paper you feel like you’ve a chance but you never really get close enough to laying a glove.

Th fact city were wanking themselves off with their win celebrations shows how far 

we’ve come in 2 seasons.   Best club in the world shitting themselves against

little Newcastle. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Bang on @LFEE Mate. The point on Bruno is something I’ve been quietly harboring. 

Even though you were the first to call me out for doubting him… 😆

I do love him as a person. He’s a NUFC type player. Love how him and his partner have embraced Newcastle for what it is and undoubtedly played a part in Joelinton’s redemption arc. However I’ve always felt it’s quite obvious how we’ve managed to pick him up in front of others. Weirdly in the ECL he might have a great tournament as games are reffed slightly differently.

I thought the first half was incredibly frustrating. They were well on top and we handed them possession so many times (Joelinton x2, Isak, Botman, Pope, Trippier, Gordon, and Schar all did it). I feel like the team felt they had to be perfect and the result was sloppiness, like when you come in late at night trying to be quiet and make a ton of noise.

Second half was better but there was only one small stretch with about 15 min left that I had any thought we might score. 1-1 would have been flattering IMO.

15 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Fair play to City though. Best time to play them and they were very good. Felt like a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather. On paper you feel like you’ve a chance but you never really get close enough to laying a glove.

This is a really good comparison. Also in the sense that I think some of what they are doing and so good at is almost hard to pick up on. It can make it seem like the opponent should have done more, but it’s a mirage. For the most part they are comfortable in victory.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Even though you were the first to call me out for doubting him… 😆

I do love him as a person. He’s a NUFC type player. Love how him and his partner have embraced Newcastle for what it is and undoubtedly played a part in Joelinton’s redemption arc. However I’ve always felt it’s quite obvious how we’ve managed to pick him up in front of others. Weirdly in the ECL he might have a great tournament as games are reffed slightly differently.

He’s only going to play a team like city 2x a year and probably won’t deal with that type of tactics by anyone in Europe - 

but no, I’ve said it to some other friends before this match - I felt like Bruno seems to lose his same swagger away from home. So ya, I’ll call you out :lol: 

Just now, Kanji said:

He’s only going to play a team like city 2x a year and probably won’t deal with that type of tactics by anyone in Europe - 

but no, I’ve said it to some other friends before this match - I felt like Bruno seems to lose his same swagger away from home. So ya, I’ll call you out :lol: 

I think where I’ve always argued about Bruno is how many games against the top teams in the division does he “dominate”…

Home & away he has done well against Spurs. Chelsea not so much as both tight games even when one when they were hopelessly out of form. Not at all against Liverpool or Man City. Arsenal no when they were at full strength but did well one game when they had injuries at home. Man Utd only at home at best 🤷‍♂️