Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

23 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

No we were found innocent, do you really think an investigation like that with UEFA would of found us innocent on a time barred with a serious accusation like this.

Yes tbh, technicalities happen all the time. Didn't Man City hire people to investigate UEFA, or something along those lines.

It annoys me how people say this Man City squad is the best PL squad ever assembled. There are some really good players but the Invincible team and 08 Man U would destroy this current Man City team. Imagine peak Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez against this defence. 

Edited by Jesse Pinkman

1 minute ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

It annoys me how people say this Man City squad is the best PL squad every assembled. There are some really good players but the Invincible team and 08 Man U would destroy this current Man City team. Imagine peak Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez against this defence. 

It would still be very difficult for them to get enough of the ball. 

6 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

It annoys me how people say this Man City squad is the best PL squad ever assembled. There are some really good players but the Invincible team and 08 Man U would destroy this current Man City team. Imagine peak Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez against this defence. 

Different generations, but City winning 100+ points is up there with the greatest PL achievements.

Honestly don’t get hate for Man City as much as other people.

I grew up hating Man Utd and other teams like Liverpool because they were obviously bent with the referees and had decades of buying everyone so no one else could compete.

As much as we know the top 6 is established now, it’s only has been for about 15 years. If you are old enough to know the pre-Ashley years, then you are old enough to know that Man City were just another club that had no hope of competing. They had hard times in what is now League 1. They had Man Utd on their doorstep, the most successful club at the time, and down the road they had Liverpool, at the time the most successful club in England.

Anyone supporting them could have had an argument for supporting either of the other clubs instead. Yet they had to go to school and work with the other kids who were running it in, day in day out.

They got pretty good crowds as well.

You can’t help but feel for those fans, it’s well deserved. Yeah ok the new fans are just another in the line of glory hunters in a different colour, but the fans from before that, let them have their success.

Honestly, I couldn’t give a flying fuck if they broke 115 FFP rules. Every single one of them is designed to stop clubs from Man City completing, made by the clubs who were the ones who grabbed the money by creating the Premier League, and in recent years tried to go further with operation big picture, and the ESL.

On top of this, it’s not like most Man City fans want to pull the ladder up either. When news of our takeover first broke during lockdown, it was Man City fans who were wishing for it to happen, wishing our fans luck, telling us to watch out for certain journalists trying to paint us the bad guys for supporting our club, and even invited Greg on from NUST to one of their podcasters to have a discussion about it all.

Aye I want us to be beating them to titles and trophies, but I’ve not begrudged them a single one they have gained so far.

City are just boringly brilliant aren't they? As above, Ederson is so good they effectively have a man spare at all times. Rodri and Kovacic don't give you a sniff and Foden looks superb in the number eight role.

Their full backs completely dominated our wingers, meaning Isak was isolated and the midfield never really had anything on. 

I don't think there's an appreciation of how hard City are to play against when they're on it. It's like when our press makes teams look ordinary, but they've taken it up a notch.

We weren't at our best yesterday, and neither were City to be fair. But we stayed in the game against the best team on the planet right now and had a great chance to make it 1-1 through Wilson if he makes the right choice. I don't see too much to complain about. I think a few of our players were a little under-par, especially Bruno and Isak, but it's important to recognise the quality we were up against. That City team would have put 4 or 5 past us not too long ago without breaking into a sweat. We gave them a game.

Foden was outstanding and think he will really benefit from not having De Bruyne in the side for a while. It's only when you see him up close you realise that technique wise, the way he takes the ball and bursts plast players, he's as close to Iniesta as you're likely to fund when he's on it.

Edited by Ashton

48 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

No we were found innocent, do you really think an investigation like that with UEFA would of found us innocent on a time barred with a serious accusation like this.

Incorrect...

it does not mean they did not do anything wrong. The wording of CAS's release says some breaches were "not established" while others were "time-barred" which suggests the statute of limitations 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/37585038/cas-lifts-man-city-uefa-ffp-ban-questions-remain-why-how-got-far

18 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

The real difference is Pep. There are players in some of these teams Pep as you mention would love to have worked with but Pep is the difference.

27 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Personally think a back line of Dias, Akanji and Gvardiol with Rodri and Stones ahead of them would deal with that United team.

Edited by Ashton

25 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Destroy :lol:

We limited them to less than 1 expected goal at the Etihad.

It was actually a superb defensive display. It's just a shame we couldn't get the ball.

Let's see how many teams can shut them out like we did.

28 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I grew up hating Man Utd and other teams like Liverpool because they were obviously bent with the referees and had decades of buying everyone so no one else could compete.

As much as we know the top 6 is established now, it’s only has been for about 15 years. If you are old enough to know the pre-Ashley years, then you are old enough to know that Man City were just another club that had no hope of competing. They had hard times in what is now League 1. They had Man Utd on their doorstep, the most successful club at the time, and down the road they had Liverpool, at the time the most successful club in England.

Anyone supporting them could have had an argument for supporting either of the other clubs instead. Yet they had to go to school and work with the other kids who were running it in, day in day out.

You can’t help but feel for those fans, it’s well deserved. Yeah ok the new fans are just another in the line of glory hunters in a different colour, but the fans from before that, let them have their success.

Honestly, I couldn’t give a flying fuck if they broke 115 FFP rules. Every single one of them is designed to stop clubs from Man City completing, made by the clubs who were the ones who grabbed the money by creating the Premier League, and in recent years tried to go further with operation big picture, and the ESL.

On top of this, it’s not like most Man City fans want to pull the ladder up either. When news of our takeover first broke during lockdown, it was Man City fans who were wishing for it to happen, wishing our fans luck, telling us to watch out for certain journalists trying to paint us the bad guys for supporting our club, and even invited Greg on from NUST to one of their podcasters to have a discussion about it all.

Aye I want us to be beating them to titles and trophies, but I’ve not begrudged them a single one they have gained so far.

Hear Hear

38 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Absolutely no chance.  This city team would pump the lot of them, in my opinion of course 

36 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Rules like making sure payments are transparent are designed to stop others catching up ? Really ?

44 minutes ago, Stifler said:

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Rules like making sure payments are transparent are designed to stop others catching up ? Really ?

Not to mention ffp was first implemented in 2011/12 long after Man City had been taken over by the Abu Dhabi group- they’re as complicit as the likes of Man Utd in trying to close the top- they’re simply not “designed to stop Man City competing” as Stifler states. Yet they’re the ones who are trying to bypass the regulations they themselves have agreed to and implemented in order to gain yet more advantage at the top. Although they were the first to break away from the ESL plans, let’s not forget they were also complicit in being a founder member of that too- Stifler seems to suggest that they weren’t? 

just a few musings from last night

we were right in line with the trajectory of the ball and it seemed as if Pope was gonna save it as he had a full hand behind it. thought he should have saved it at the time but maybe harsh after seeing the replays.

Foden is amazing. Southgate take note. build the England team around him and bellingham in CM.

i think we could have got something if we had murphy on for the last 20 minutes. old school dierctness, beat yer man and whip a cross in.

atmosphere was disappointing - 3 split levels doesnt help.

some really poor individual performances from the likes of Joelinton and Miggy, and Bruno seemed to be a little off. hopefully just a temporary dip against the euro champions.

need Lewis Hall in as soon as he's up to speed.  Gordon was canny but he had not help in the attacking third from Burn.

27 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Not to mention ffp was first implemented in 2011/12 long after Man City had been taken over by the Abu Dhabi group- they’re as complicit as the likes of Man Utd in trying to close the top- they’re simply not “designed to stop Man City competing” as Stifler states. Yet they’re the ones who are trying to bypass the regulations they themselves have agreed to and implemented in order to gain yet more advantage at the top. Although they were the first to break away from the ESL plans, let’s not forget they were also complicit in being a founder member of that too- Stifler seems to suggest that they weren’t? 

FFP being implemented after their takeover doesn’t equate to them being complicit though. On top of that weren’t they mentioned as reluctant to join the ESL, and some sources even saying they had never actually agreed to it?

It’s massively irrelevant in anyway, as we know it was driven by Real Madrid, Juventus, and Man Utd, Liverpool, and Spurs, with the rest largely joining in the fear of missing out.

39 minutes ago, Stifler said:

FFP being implemented after their takeover doesn’t equate to them being complicit though. On top of that weren’t they mentioned as reluctant to join the ESL, and some sources even saying they had never actually agreed to it?

It’s massively irrelevant in anyway, as we know it was driven by Real Madrid, Juventus, and Man Utd, Liverpool, and Spurs, with the rest largely joining in the fear of missing out.

They bought Robinho for £40m, Dzeko for £35m and Aguero for £38m all before ffp was implemented. They spent a shitload and the season they won the league in 11/12, ffp coincidentally began. If you think they weren’t complicit in that, didn’t agree to it, and it was purely down to the likes of Man Utd etc, you’re sadly deluded. They’d already got to the top at that point. 
The ESL argument is beside the point- ffp is the main bugbear here and you brought the ESL up. They WERE members, like it or not. 

edit- for comparison, we had wait until 19/20 for us to spend anywhere near those figures on a transfer, over TEN YEARS after Robinho.

Edited by Manxst

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Completely agree. And all the bollocks that gets flung at them...."bought success", "not really a big club", "plastic fans" ....will be thrown our way too in the coming years. If there is one club that we should have a solidarity-pact with, it's them.

20 minutes ago, Stifler said:

If Man City break a hole in these FFP rules - which seems like they are targeting - we then become one the elite/super clubs, we become untouchable financially. We become the richest club in the world, with the ability to spend it. Likes of Spurs, Liverpool are left in the dust.

Man City, Chelsea, PSG have without doubt flounced FFP rules and just paid the a fine. I think Man City with this current case, will actually break FFP wide open.  

Edited by Htt Since 1882