Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Dyeyzzon said:

I don't think Pope could've done anything with those Nunez finishes tbf.

Of course he couldn't, both perfect finishes, which he is only able to produce against us btw. 

The worse feeling I got about this is, Liverpool didn't win that game. We lost that game. Utterly handed it to them. I could have accepted if we lost 0-3, but the circumstances to how we got the 1-2 scoreline from where it was, is incredibly hurting.

Just now, The Butcher said:

There's clear lack of creativity in the side like. We have plenty of pace and power, but we really need a creator in the final third. Breaking down deep sitting teams could be a problem this season.

We have for about 4 windows now tbh.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

There's clear lack of creativity in the side like. We have plenty of pace and power, but we really need a creator in the final third. Breaking down deep sitting teams could be a problem this season.

Guess that's where Maddison would have been helpful

I thought we were very good for 60 mins. Tonali and Gordon brought off handed the game to a 10 men Liverpool side sadly. Klopps subs capaitised on us downgrading our passing abilities and credit to Nunez, he smashed us with two good goals.

I've can't recall a moment where I felt Howe made a bad a call as the subs today. I think he thought he was protecting the lead and mixing up our attacking play. It didn't work out but on paper it doesn't feel a bad call as such, it just happened to play out badly. Gordon was our outlet and Tonali both protected us and kept the ball moving forward with quality. Barnes and Longstaff were far worse than they should have been.

We should have won that game, it's a learning experience. We will come back stronger from it.

3 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

This is it for me. Our midfield three looks strong but it's not exactly a creative one. An Anderson or a Willock would help it loads.

All about mentality. Howe's mentality and his players'. We tried to play it as if we were a confident, veteran-filled European power and just ease to a 1-0 win while not overexerting our players, and we are not capable of that. 

That decision is on Eddie. And it isn't the first time we've tried to manage a game rather than dominate it. Our players - bar Tonali and Bruno - are energy warriors, pressing, running, hounding. Their strengths are not in elegant passing and game control. We played away from our strengths when facing 10. And the subs were all wrong. Again, also on Eddie. 

The players, though, don't escape blame. Really poor decision making in the final third, a real lack of drive, and a lack of composure -except for Gordon - at the end. Bruno is such a good player but he does seem to struggle to pick the right moments for his tricks. He put us under real pressure a few times and was at fault for their winner. Miggy, again, running for days but lacking the ability to anything other than his two tricks in the final third. Barnes, what was that? And defensively, we remain susceptible to elite speed. 

We are obviously a good team and will win plenty. But it's comparatively easier to go from 17th to 4th than it is to stay in that elite zone year on year. We are learning the mental lessons now, and it's a painful lesson.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Guess that's where Maddison would have been helpful

I think Tonali can do this for us eventually. Maybe not Maddison levels of numbers because he plays in a different area of the field, but he plays the ball forward all the time.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

There's maybe an argument to keep Isak on for 'magic' but he was honestly poor today.

Didn't do enough to get involved and did very little when he did. I'm actually a bit disappointed in him for the last 2 games, he can do a lot better than that.

He did get their captain sent off 30 minutes in ... im devastated today 

40 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Almiron incredibly unlucky to not score at least one. 

It's frustrating, because he often looks dangerous, but he does so many strange things. Like poor passes or decision making.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Creativity wasn’t the issue today though.

We hardly had a shot on target. I’d argue creativity was exactly the issue. If you can’t give 10 men, sitting deep, the good news then that’s a lack of chance creation.

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

We hardly had a shot on target. I’d argue creativity was exactly the issue. If you can’t give 10 men, sitting deep, the good news then that’s a lack of chance creation.

We didn’t lose today because of lack of creativity though. 

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

Just the 8 shots on target plus one off the post. 23 attempts in total. 

Almiron getting stick on social media (I haven't read much from here) but I thought he was decent today and looked our most likely to get the second goal. Took the game by the scruff of the neck and hit the post second half, more than the rest of the lads did. Barnes was much poorer when he come on. Subbing Gordon off was brainless, he had the beating of Alexander-Arnold on a yellow.

3 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

We had 23 shots on goal. 2 hit woodwork, 8 were on target. Liverpool had 9 shots, 4 on target and scored 2. Finishing was clearly our issue and the difference.

Edited by hakka