Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Haven't read through the thread having taken me this long to reconsider the game after feeling sick at the way it ended. It's a game I'll never rewatch.

However, a few observations that have probably been made elsewhere but;

1) Why the fuck did the 4th official literally stand right next to the Liverpool technical area all bastard game like him and Klopp were a double act? If that big teethed cunt is ranting and raving (which he was. All game) why would you make it easy for him? Surely you'd move about and generally try to avoid the prick rather than enable him?

2) I don't know how easy this would've been to spot on the TV but, at the game in the first half, Salah was covering the space (out of possession) right in front of where I sit. He was fucking superb when we had the ball. It's not something I've ever noticed before BUT if you wonder why we didn't constantly get Gordon on the ball and one on one with TAA then look at what Salah was doing whenever Burn had possession. He killed that passing channel brilliantly. I've never taken any notice of the defensive elements of his game but he was fucking superb in that first half at protecting TAA.

3) Trippier was fucking superb up to his booking. After that, I felt he needed a booking available to him as they piled pressure on down our left hand side during the last 15 mins. He could've done with the option of a cynical foul. A couple of times you could see the cogs turning whereas, without the booking, he'd have made the challenge and run the risk of the card. I'd have brought Livramento on second half of the second half just to have that option. No reflection of KT's performance more the fact that Jota was causing us issues down that side.

4) It's some small solace to me that Howe will be hurting like fuck this week. Too many previous managers would've shrugged this game/result off as 'one of those things' but Howe will be devastated. Thankfully he's got tonnes of credit in the bank because the game management second half defied all logic to me. One thing that may be worth looking at is whether Longstaff is a player you bring off the bench or just either start or drop. It's such a hard position to come into and pick the pace of the game up and he looked miles off it on Sunday for me.

5) Easy to say but it's a game of such fine margins. That Allison save, the Miggy post shot, the Barnes crossing opportunity etc and we are home and hosed and everyone is delighted with 6 points from a very tough 9. To not take a point out of that is gutting but, get Brighton out of the way, then hopefully we can put a run together and get going.

Overall, still lots of positives (Tonali, Gordon, Botman etc) and I'm still fully in the headspace of 'trust the process' so don't see any need to panic. Keep the faith.

Great post. 

2 was what I noticed as well, we were moving the ball side to side but Liverpool were very disciplined in preventing the quick pass to the winger. So often it had to go back and over to the other side, where the same thing would happen. 

Point 2.. I fully agree and we picked it up from where we were sitting.

The frustrating thing was we did the same move every time.. passed along the back until it got to Burn and then the gap was closed off.

Even if it was to fail, a longer pass from Botman or Schar to Gordon would have put a little bit of doubt into Salahs head. 

Even if Burn could use his right foot or open his body up to hit the ball down the line quicker 

4 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Point 2.. I fully agree and we picked it up from where we were sitting.

The frustrating thing was we did the same move every time.. passed along the back until it got to Burn and then the gap was closed off.

Even if it was to fail, a longer pass from Botman or Schar to Gordon would have put a little bit of doubt into Salahs head. 

Even if Burn could use his right foot or open his body up to hit the ball down the line quicker 

Yep - there was one particular pass towards the end of the first half from Schar to Gordon which was a long range diagonal ping that was a thing of beauty but he didn't really have the option on that often due to TAA pushing up and narrowing the space and Salah dropping a bit deeper.

Either way, such a positive that Gordon literally killed TAA every chance he got. Just a shame we didn't manage to get him 1 on 1 more often.

Kind of surprised looking back that we didn’t end up playing a 4 2 3 1 . There was space for a 10 to receive and turn with the ball. I suppose it could’ve been Gordon in there with Barnes coming on for JL. Or JL as a deep forward making late runs with Isak drifting and pulling their CBs out of position and laying it off for someone to whip a ball in. All sorts of options you can reflect on after the game.

We were just to slow with the ball and our front 3 were far too static. 

20 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Haven't read through the thread having taken me this long to reconsider the game after feeling sick at the way it ended. It's a game I'll never rewatch.

However, a few observations that have probably been made elsewhere but;

1) Why the fuck did the 4th official literally stand right next to the Liverpool technical area all bastard game like him and Klopp were a double act? If that big teethed cunt is ranting and raving (which he was. All game) why would you make it easy for him? Surely you'd move about and generally try to avoid the prick rather than enable him?

2) I don't know how easy this would've been to spot on the TV but, at the game in the first half, Salah was covering the space (out of possession) right in front of where I sit. He was fucking superb when we had the ball. It's not something I've ever noticed before BUT if you wonder why we didn't constantly get Gordon on the ball and one on one with TAA then look at what Salah was doing whenever Burn had possession. He killed that passing channel brilliantly. I've never taken any notice of the defensive elements of his game but he was fucking superb in that first half at protecting TAA.

3) Trippier was fucking superb up to his booking. After that, I felt he needed a booking available to him as they piled pressure on down our left hand side during the last 15 mins. He could've done with the option of a cynical foul. A couple of times you could see the cogs turning whereas, without the booking, he'd have made the challenge and run the risk of the card. I'd have brought Livramento on second half of the second half just to have that option. No reflection of KT's performance more the fact that Jota was causing us issues down that side.

4) It's some small solace to me that Howe will be hurting like fuck this week. Too many previous managers would've shrugged this game/result off as 'one of those things' but Howe will be devastated. Thankfully he's got tonnes of credit in the bank because the game management second half defied all logic to me. One thing that may be worth looking at is whether Longstaff is a player you bring off the bench or just either start or drop. It's such a hard position to come into and pick the pace of the game up and he looked miles off it on Sunday for me.

5) Easy to say but it's a game of such fine margins. That Allison save, the Miggy post shot, the Barnes crossing opportunity etc and we are home and hosed and everyone is delighted with 6 points from a very tough 9. To not take a point out of that is gutting but, get Brighton out of the way, then hopefully we can put a run together and get going.

Overall, still lots of positives (Tonali, Gordon, Botman etc) and I'm still fully in the headspace of 'trust the process' so don't see any need to panic. Keep the faith.

Glad someone else mentioned how good Trippier was in the first half, I've read some criticisms today and thought maybe I missed something as due to family commitments I was only able to keep half an eye on the game.

I did record the game as well but haven't had the heart to rewatch it either. Finally watched the MOTD highlights yesterday evening only to try and pinpoint how Nunez managed to find himself one on one twice in succession when they were 1-0 down and playing with 10 men. Both had elements of bad luck, but still feel we could have made the game less open when they should have been chasing the game not us. Burn was left for dead by Nunez, and even accounting for Bruno's pass being cut out, it's still a concern seeing him being turned so easily.

Sunday did highlight Burn's limitations in an attacking sense yet again - particularly first half when, due to Salah killing the passing channel, he couldn't get quick passes down the line off, he was essentially forced to turn the ball over back across the back line which completely killed any attacking momentum. Him driving at them, and running the risk of getting robbed off Salah clearly couldn't happen as he'd never have the recovery pace.

I guess this is where Hall would give us a healthy option and it's something I hope Howe tries soon.

21 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Woke up still livid at the players and Howe for that. Ah well, it's only the footy innit. At least one day we'll definitely all die. Lovely, lovely, warm, sweet death.

Errrr, hope you had a nice bank holiday in the end! I was actually in Chester-le-Street and Durham City. The old place still looking good. 

8 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

One thing that may be worth looking at is whether Longstaff is a player you bring off the bench or just either start or drop. It's such a hard position to come into and pick the pace of the game up and he looked miles off it on Sunday for me.

Think I've said something similar on here not too long ago. He seems to be playing just the same whether it's the 1st minute or the 91st of the game and thus tends to get better and better the longer the game goes on as other players get tired. He's not a player you put on to change a game if you need a goal. At the point he came on we were up, so I guess it is justified if Tonali was running on fumes as it doesn't noticeably change our formation or way of playing. Would have preferred a more high energy sub to kill the game personally though. Longstaff is either a starter or someone to help see a game out if we're under pressure.

2 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Sunday did highlight Burn's limitations in an attacking sense yet again - particularly first half when, due to Salah killing the passing channel, he couldn't get quick passes down the line off, he was essentially forced to turn the ball over back across the back line which completely killed any attacking momentum. Him driving at them, and running the risk of getting robbed off Salah clearly couldn't happen as he'd never have the recovery pace.

I guess this is where Hall would give us a healthy option and it's something I hope Howe tries soon.

Salah is a class act. Some great passes and fantastic movement throughout. Anybody would have difficulty keeping him in check. 

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Glad someone else mentioned how good Trippier was in the first half, I've read some criticisms today and thought maybe I missed something as due to family commitments I was only able to keep half an eye on the game.

I did record the game as well but haven't had the heart to rewatch it either. Finally watched the MOTD highlights yesterday evening only to try and pinpoint how Nunez managed to find himself one on one twice in succession when they were 1-0 down and playing with 10 men. Both had elements of bad luck, but still feel we could have made the game less open when they should have been chasing the game not us. Burn was left for dead by Nunez, and even accounting for Bruno's pass being cut out, it's still a concern seeing him being turned so easily.

[emoji38] was just writing about Burn at the same time. Agreed.

I thought Trippier was brilliant in every sense right up to his booking tbh and, even then, he wasn't bad I just think he lost the option to be as aggressive at a time they were coming back into the game. He could've really done with the option of a cynical foul a few times towards the last quarter of the game and just had to be more that little bit more restrained.

My only complaint about him was that I wished he'd taken the free kick after the red card. Looked perfectly placed for him.

Edited by Minhosa

Just now, Conjo said:

Think I've said something similar on here not too long ago. He seems to be playing just the same whether it's the 1st minute or the 91st of the game and thus tends to get better and better the longer the game goes on as other players get tired. He's not a player you put on to change a game if you need a goal. At the point he came on we were up, so I guess it is justified if Tonali was running on fumes as it doesn't noticeably change our formation or way of playing. Would have preferred a more high energy sub to kill the game personally though. Longstaff is either a starter or someone to help see a game out if we're under pressure.

Yep - I'm sure this is something they'll look at tbh.

As an aside, Tonali looked fine to the untrained eye, in terms of stamina/fitness. It looked quite pre-planned to me which makes it that bit worse [emoji38].

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Salah is a class act. Some great passes and fantastic movement throughout. Anybody would have difficulty keeping him in check. 

Oh yeah - no arguments there. He's quality.

I gathered up the courage to watch those highlights over and it has changed my perspective greatly. 

We didn't play badly - Yes maybe we got complacent but it reminds me of the Everton game 2 seasons ago when they went down to 10 men and won it with an Iwobi worldly. 

Sometimes luck is just not on your side. We were INCREDIBLY unlucky. And Liverpool were incredibly clinical which is what we can learn from. 

Although funnily, Nunez usually isn't clinical. 

This is not a defining moment this early in the season, it's a good reminded to this squad that results don't come for free. 

For Liverpool, it might paper over the cracks but there's no way they should have won that really. I don't think it's a Klopp masterclass - he's just got incredibly talented players to bring on. And one day, we will too. 

So they can gloat all they want but so many of them say that "none of the Newcastle squad would get in this team" - but we are up there fighting against them and stealing CL off them. We have technically improved on our results from last year, whereas they have declined. And these small margins are important as what we just witnessed in that match. 

Also, the Barnes/Wilson chance - he hesitates. I think because the last time he passed to Wilson, he fluffed his lines so he hesitated whether to go alone or not. Wilson needs to prove to him that he puts that away every time. 

2 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

[emoji38] was just writing about Burn at the same time. Agreed.

I thought Trippier was brilliant in every sense right up to his booking tbh and, even then, he wasn't bad I just think he lost the option to be as aggressive at a time they were coming back into the game. He could've really done with the option to of a cynical foul a few times towards the last quarter of the game and just had to be more that little bit more restrained.

My only complaint about him was that I wished he'd taken the free kick after the red card. Looked perfectly placed for him.

Yeah I've a healthy respect for Schar's ability with the dead ball, but you need to be pretty damn near genius level to be taking the ball of Trippier in those situations. It's happened a few times now  and it gets annoying when he does fuck all with them.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Yeah I've a healthy respect for Schar's ability with the dead ball, but you need to be pretty damn near genius level to be taking the ball of Trippier in those situations. It's happened a few times now  and it gets annoying when he does fuck all with them.

I’d like to see the freekicks shared a bit more. Would love to see Tonali bang one in. 

6 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

This is not a defining moment this early in the season, it's a good reminded to this squad that results don't come for free. 

For Liverpool, it might paper over the cracks but there's no way they should have won that really. I don't think it's a Klopp masterclass - he's just got incredibly talented players to bring on. And one day, we will too. 

It could be a defining moment for Nunez and Liverpool. Our bench was arguably stronger than Liverpools.

9 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I gathered up the courage to watch those highlights over and it has changed my perspective greatly. 

We didn't play badly - Yes maybe we got complacent but it reminds me of the Everton game 2 seasons ago when they went down to 10 men and won it with an Iwobi worldly. 

Sometimes luck is just not on your side. We were INCREDIBLY unlucky. And Liverpool were incredibly clinical which is what we can learn from. 

Although funnily, Nunez usually isn't clinical. 

So they can gloat all they want but so many of them say that "none of the Newcastle squad would get in this team" - but we are up there fighting against them and stealing CL off them. We have technically improved on our results from last year, whereas they have declined. And these small margins are important as what we just witnessed in that match. 

Also, the Barnes/Wilson chance - he hesitates. I think because the last time he passed to Wilson, he fluffed his lines so he hesitated whether to go alone or not. Wilson needs to prove to him that he puts that away every time. 

was offside.

3 hours ago, NE27 said:

Made the mistake of looking at the comments on our Instagram posts for the game, holy shit.

Lot of weird nufc fans going in hard on EH and a LOT of foreign LFC fans ribbing :lol:

If becoming a bigger club means getting these weird cling ons who basically shag players wherever they go and just spew abuse on social media, I think I might want to get off this ride at some point:anguish:

Yeah they’re tiring. Every club has its cunts, but the (often foreign) social media nutters you’re talking about are hard to take. At least you can rest a bit in the knowledge that most of them have plumped for Arsenal or Liverpool already.