Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Sempiternal said:

Well we finished above them, they sold 2 of their best players, lost colwill. I don’t think we are a level above them but I do expect us to be able to Give them a competitive game, like west ham did. We are a CL club, right now, so yeah I’d expect a lot better than today. 

I am just saying that I am totally not surprised that we got played off the park by a really solid team. Some of the pre-match stuff about Brighton was bizarre, since they have been doing this for awhile now.

Just got in, listened on the radio in the car. I'll have to watch it back to see if we were as bad as we sounded... 

Actually, looking at most of the comments here, I guess we were! Fair play to Brighton though. Our fans sounded class in the background late on. 

Still behind this team, manager, setup and all. Bad start to the season, something's out of balance, but we'll start picking up points. 

Enjoy the CL while it lasts, as it probably won't be back next season! ?

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Brighton have put in performances where they've shat on Arsenal and Man City, they've also had matches like the Everton and West Ham ones where they've come unstuck.

If they're putting in a vs Arsenal/Man City performance, it just seems pointless pointing to the vs Everton/West Ham performances as a reason why we should have done better. It was so obvious that they were putting in a top performance today, everyone's passing, precision, positioning, first touch was top notch.

which is odd when people say that they were only passably decent today.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

I am just saying that I am totally not surprised that we got played off the park by a really solid team. Some of the pre-match stuff about Brighton was bizarre, since they have been doing this for awhile now.

They are a good side no denying that, but I certainly expect us to be competitive with them. They lost two key members of their first team, maybe 3 if you count Sanchez. Yes they recruit very well, but we should at least be competitive against them. Losing is not the issue for me, it’s the manner of it. 

I'll recap what I said in a few of the other posts.

Missing Willock or a player that can break the lines and connect midfield to attack.

He used to bridge Joelnton, the wing, Isak, and everything we are not doing right now.

Not sure Bruno and Tonali are that greatly suited, feels like Bruno wants to dictate the ball, but he has to be the deepest. He's also the least mobile of the three when we are countered. Tonali as a more orthodox six?

We've been quite pedestrian and very predictable, our patterns of play are obvious.

Prefer Isak to be more involved in the game and he's isolated up top with this midfield.

Miggy is on borrowed time, as is Burn, who was Sunday league level today, and I love the bloke.

Lastly, I do question our business this summer, not sure we are/were in a position to be blowing money on subs. The first 11 should be strengthened and the relegated guys make the bench.

Fingers crossed Eddie gets to the bottom of this, Some of the players look a little lost with what's being asked of them and the intensity has definitely dropped off.

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

1 minute ago, Billy Warthog said:

Just got in, listened on the radio in the car. I'll have to watch it back to see if we were as bad as we sounded... 

Actually, looking at most of the comments here, I guess we were! Fair play to Brighton though. Our fans sounded class in the background late on. 

Still behind this team, manager, setup and all. Bad start to the season, something's out of balance, but we'll start picking up points. 

Enjoy the CL while it lasts, as it probably won't be back next season! ?

Don't bother watching it back, it was rancid

That Liverpool defeat was an absolute uppercut man. No way we collapse like that if the week before hadn't happened.

Some of them are shot confidence wise. This is why we have a bench. I'd make half a dozen changes.

Pope

Tripper   Schar     Botman     Hall

Bruno

Tonali               Anderson

Murphy                              Barnes

Wilson

Press from the front. Don't feel sorry for anyone left out. Make them fight to get back in.

They are a good side no denying that, but I certainly expect us to be competitive with them. They lost two key members of their first team, maybe 3 if you count Sanchez. Yes they recruit very well, but we should at least be competitive against them. Losing is not the issue for me, it’s the manner of it. 

They've made a few teams, including Arsenal, look dog shit and uncompetitive though. They are more than capable of it.

Just now, J88H said:

Problem lies in centre midfield. Sort out the 3, get them ticking and it will come. 

it’s the gap between the defence and mid - it’s killing us - backline getting no protection - when we lose the ball we get exposed in that area

you play with a single or double pivot and sort this out 

If you do play with a pivot - you then need a progressive full back on the left which is where I would play Hall 

Just now, OverThere said:

Did the Brazilians come back from holiday yet? Hopefully soon.

This is my biggest beef. Both were shadows.

Joelinton wants to remember what made him good. He's not Bruno, he needs to drive with the ball.

Just now, Mikky said:

it’s the gap between the defence and mid - it’s killing us - backline getting no protection - when we lose the ball we get exposed in that area

you play with a single or double pivot and sort this out 

If you do play with a pivot - you then need a progressive full back on the left which is where I would play Hall 

But who is going to play there, I don’t think Bruno can do it alone 

IMO there’s been a drop in the quality of each of our last three opponents. From Man City to Liverpool to Brighton. We’ve looked all over the place and we’ve lost all three. If we played Villa next week I’m almost certain we’d lose. A lot of work for Howe and his team to do. A lot of self reflection required by the players as they’ve been very poor.

5 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

which is odd when people say that they were only passably decent today.

Also funny considering how often we laugh at opposition fans when they say "We made them look good because we played so badly" ignoring the fact that we had a big hand in them play badly, as Brighton did with us today. They actually reminded me of us at how in terms of how they suffocated us.

Edited by Kid Icarus

And so have we. Arsenal were psychologically shot by the time they did that imo. 

Exactly. But don't be too surprised when they make a team about their level look shit. We of course played right into their hands to help them a bit, but I find it annoying how people undervalue Brighton ever damn year.

Just now, Novocastrian said:

IMO there’s been a drop in the quality of each of our last three opponents. From Man City to Liverpool to Brighton. We’ve looked all over the place and we’ve lost all three. If we played Villa next week I’m almost certain we’d lose. A lot of work for Howe and his team to do. A lot of self reflection required by the players as they’ve been very poor.

We can't play the same players. We just can't. They are gone, mentally. It needs a complete refresh.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

That Liverpool defeat was an absolute uppercut man. No way we collapse like that if the week before hadn't happened.

Some of them are shot confidence wise. This is why we have a bench. I'd make half a dozen changes.

Pope

Tripper   Schar     Botman     Hall

Bruno

Tonali               Anderson

Murphy                              Barnes

Wilson

Press from the front. Don't feel sorry for anyone left out. Make them fight to get back in.

Yeah it’s not an excuse for todays display but last weekends result has clearly got to them. Liverpool absolutely have our number, the lads were desperate to hand them one and threw it away in desperate fashion.

Two weeks of hard work for everyone before Brentford.