Newcastle United vs. Brentford: 16/09/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

The midfield balance is completely off.  Bruno and Tonali aren’t comfortable and I think they know it before they go out onto the pitch.   
Confident we will fix it but I think there has to be personnel changes in there 

Wonder if he’ll revert back to Joelinton, Bruno and longstaff in the midfield three with Barnes, Wilson and Murphy up top with the champions league game the following Thursday in mind? One thing for sure is we will be seeing a lot more changes in the starting elevens first half of the season.

Could see there being a lot of changes  with the Milan game in mind.

Pope

Tino.    Lascelles.     Shar.      Targett 

Gordon.   Longstaff.   Anderson 

Murphy.     Wilson.      Barnes 

Then again we’ll probably be unchanged from Saturday.

1 minute ago, Myleftboot said:

Pope

8 changes? Absolutely no chance.

1 minute ago, Myleftboot said:

Pope

We'll prioritise the league over Europe. We won't be sticking a second string out.

1 hour ago, Andy84 said:

The midfield balance is completely off.  Bruno and Tonali aren’t comfortable and I think they know it before they go out onto the pitch.   
Confident we will fix it but I think there has to be personnel changes in there 

Tonali and Bruno can play together but they need the right player next to them and it's not Joelinton as much as I love him. It might be though, he didn't train all last week. Midfield is the least of my concerns as Eddie will have that figured out before we play Brentford.

4 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Tonali and Bruno can play together but they need the right player next to them and it's not Joelinton as much as I love him. It might be though, he didn't train all last week. Midfield is the least of my concerns as Eddie will have that figured out before we play Brentford.

I have a feeling that they’d be better as a 2 rather than a 3.

we’d then need a number 10 and a move to a 4-4-1-1 or even a 3-4-3 type formation (we don’t have the players for the latter of course)

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I have a feeling that they’d be better as a 2 rather than a 3.

we’d then need a number 10 and a move to a 4-4-1-1 or even a 3-4-3 type formation (we don’t have the players for the latter of course)

Isak would make a good 10.

Whether he's on his own or with Tonali, I'd rather not see Bruno sitting deep and like to see him on the ball further up the pitch instead. 

Surely Tonali has/will have through game time the nous to sit deeper and be efficient with the ball in those area's? Seems like a no-brainer to me to at least try. Get Longstaff in there too.

21 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Whether he's on his own or with Tonali, I'd rather not see Bruno sitting deep and like to see him on the ball further up the pitch instead. 

Surely Tonali has/will have through game time the nous to sit deeper and be efficient with the ball in those area's? Seems like a no-brainer to me to at least try. Get Longstaff in there too.

They can both do both. Bruno was great at breaking a press, receiving it short, under pressure and making it look easy to find time and space to set us up forward. Tonali looks the same. It needs a forward dropping and full backs pushing on to make it work....    guess what ?

But we know Eddie needs to have players up to speed, meticulously, to put them in (if Longstaff had been fit Tonali would have been subbed in over a few games).

24 minutes ago, madras said:

They can both do both. Bruno was great at breaking a press, receiving it short, under pressure and making it look easy to find time and space to set us up forward. Tonali looks the same. It needs a forward dropping and full backs pushing on to make it work....    guess what ?

But we know Eddie needs to have players up to speed, meticulously, to put them in (if Longstaff had been fit Tonali would have been subbed in over a few games).

That’s normally the case re fitness yet Joelinton hadn’t trained all week but was still selected. Why betray your own fitness stipulations when the player in question has had a poor couple of games and has an able deputy - Longstaff - ready and raring to go?

10 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

That’s normally the case re fitness yet Joelinton hadn’t trained all week but was still selected. Why betray your own fitness stipulations when the player in question has had a poor couple of games and has an able deputy - Longstaff - ready and raring to go?

It's not just a fitness thing, it's a knowing the drill thing. The 433 we played had Joe or Joe on the left of Bruno, with one of the Joe's out the other played. Just shows to me he didn't trust Anderson while bedding Tonali in.

8 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

Yeah agree Bruno needs to be further forward. It seems like ages since he’s scored a goal.

9 hours ago, madras said:

I think Wilson will start V Brentford fwiw.

Might make sense to start Barnes with him. Wilson makes great runs when he sees Barnes flying down the wing, we saw it in the goal vs Villa, and the missed opportunity against Liverpool where Barnes hesitated on crossing.

On 05/09/2023 at 01:17, madras said:

I think Wilson will start V Brentford fwiw.

Surely! 

The only player who looks like he wants to score a goal. Top scorer from last season and vastly underated.

I'd play isak and Wilson whilst Joe willock is out as nobody else runs at a defence