Newcastle United vs. Brentford: 16/09/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Have a funny feeling Miggy will start on the bench for this one

I'd be quite happy with this - we need to get some early crosses in from the right, Miggy is slowing us down significantly there. Think Gordon can do the defensive shift Miggy puts in as well.

The games will come thick and fast now. No need to worry about players getting games.

I can see a few getting Brentford + Milan and then being replaced for the next PL game. 

Tonali missing might be a blessing in disguise. A more familiar feel to midfield might get everyone settled down.

I wouldn’t be against making a few changes to be honest, but I know the likelihood of that is low. 

I’d hope that Anderson, Wilson and Murphy/Barnes are getting a look in. Would love to see Hall get game time too. 

The Brazilians need to put a performance down. 

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Honestly, Brighton wasn't that bad. We had good chances in the game and their goals came from long range strikes rather than big chances (thought we had the best of them). It wasn't a good performance by any stretch and they showed us how to beat a press & build play effectively... but cabbage-heed it wasn't. 

For this, assuming all those 50/50 injuries go our way, I think he'll go:

Pope

Trippier   Schar   Botman   Burn

Tonali   Bruno   Joelinton

Gordon   Wilson   Barnes

Perfect world is that we're 3-0 after 60 minutes so he can sub important players for Tuesday. Problem is, Brentford are a canny side.

Seen some people saying it was a battering, horrendous performance, Brighton amazing etc. I can only guess they're going off possession stats, but generally Brighton have looked lost when teams let them have the ball, so that was clearly a deliberate tactic from us. That or I guess those comments are just exaggerated humility. The first goal is Pope screwing up his kickout putting us under immediate pressure, Trippier goes flying in and takes himself out of the game, then Pope in the same move fails to catch a shot straight at him from 25 yards which he'd catch 99 times out of 100 and we're suddenly behind. It's an unforced goalkeeping double error. If you look at the second goal, it's a complete mixup in midfield with a back four left completely unprotected and watching the highlight again it seems to be confusion over who is holding midfield. Ferguson then has all the time in the world. Gordon and Joelinton missed similar chances for us but Brighton didn't make the unforced mistakes and our finishing and decision-making was poor. We had games like this last season (Brentford away) that we won. That's not trying to take anything away from Brighton, who deserved it, but on chances it 3-1 probably flatters them. Last season they actually did batter us there and we drew 0-0.

Not sure we'll risk Tonali. We've got options there and I think we'll go back to basics with a midfield unit we know works. I reckon Longstaff will come in for him. You might be right about the wingers - he's got a decision to make with the South Americans and that's the one position where we have someone or the same quality and experience to come in.