Newcastle United vs. Brentford: 16/09/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I had been thinking a score draw, but as it gets closer I’m getting more confident.  3-1 NUFC

We played very well against Villa. We had a very decent preseason. I’ll gloss over the rest, but basically there’s not too much wrong with us. 

I’ve mixed feelings. A draw is the most likely result in my mind, we just just look a bit lost, Brighton was a truly terrible performance the likes of which we’ve not seen since the cabbage was in charge. I’ll be slightly pissed off if we are totally unchanged. Wilson should start this one and I’d like to see what Barnes can do given the chance. 

1 hour ago, BennyBlanco said:

I’ve mixed feelings. A draw is the most likely result in my mind, we just just look a bit lost, Brighton was a truly terrible performance the likes of which we’ve not seen since the cabbage was in charge. I’ll be slightly pissed off if we are totally unchanged. Wilson should start this one and I’d like to see what Barnes can do given the chance. 

Brighton can make any team look lost, they did the same to Arsenal last season, 7 days after they'd beaten us at St. James'.

We're a top team with a top manager and we will bounce back, it's what we've continuously done every time we've looked lost in a match under Howe since January 22...

21/22 Chelsea A 0-1, Everton A 0-1, Spurs A 1-5 > won the next 4 

21/22 Man City A 0-5 - Arsenal H 2-0

22/23 Villa A 0-3 > Spurs H 6-1, Everton A 4-1, Southampton H 3-1

18 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Brighton can make any team look lost, they did the same to Arsenal last season, 7 days after they'd beaten us at St. James'.

We're a top team with a top manager and we will bounce back, it's what we've continuously done every time we've looked lost in a match under Howe since January 22...

21/22 Chelsea A 0-1, Everton A 0-1, Spurs A 1-5 > won the next 4 

21/22 Man City A 0-5 - Arsenal H 2-0

22/23 Villa A 0-3 > Spurs H 6-1, Everton A 4-1, Southampton H 3-1

This is NO though. Good form is temporary, bad form is permanent. 

20 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Fancy this lot to drop off a bit this season, granted they're still much better than the sum of their parts. 

They've added genuine pace up top to their repertoire of set piece fret, long throw ins and a midfield packed with big, physical cunts.

Score early and we'll batter these, if we don't it'll no doubt start to get a bit nervy - 3-1. 

??

They are unbeaten. Scoring (and conceding) goals. They look like a good team. I expect them to be solid in midtable even without their talisman for half the season.

Beatable mind. Definitely beatable.

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

??

They are unbeaten. Scoring (and conceding) goals. They look like a good team. I expect them to be solid in midtable even without their talisman for half the season.

Beatable mind. Definitely beatable.

Home draws against Palace and Bournemouth though.

I don't expect them to be in any kind of bother, but without their main man and their home form dropping off a bit towards the end of last season I'd have them down for a bottom half finish.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Home draws against Palace and Bournemouth though.

I don't expect them to be in any kind of bother, but without their main man and their home form dropping off a bit towards the end of last season I'd have them down for a bottom half finish.

I think they've underperformed their Xg so far this season. I guess that's the difference between Toney and Mbuemo/Wissa. But they should've won the last 2 games.

Think they'll finish 9th-13th.

Honestly, Brighton wasn't that bad. We had good chances in the game and their goals came from long range strikes rather than big chances (thought we had the best of them). It wasn't a good performance by any stretch and they showed us how to beat a press & build play effectively... but cabbage-heed it wasn't. 

For this, assuming all those 50/50 injuries go our way, I think he'll go:

Pope

Trippier   Schar   Botman   Burn

Tonali   Bruno   Joelinton

Gordon   Wilson   Barnes

Perfect world is that we're 3-0 after 60 minutes so he can sub important players for Tuesday. Problem is, Brentford are a canny side.

With Trippier having played a fully 90 on Tuesday, Miggy, Bruno and Joelinton having come back from South America, wouldn't be surprised if there was a few changes for this one, especially with the Champions League game next week. Assuming Tonali and Anderson are fit, think id go for:

Pope

Livramento.    Schar.    Botman.      Burn

Tonali.  Bruno.  Anderson

Gordon.                                              Barnes

Wilson

7 hours ago, nufcjb said:

A big concern for me would be the crowd. Some fuckers will start moaning and booing if we concede and are behind. 

Anyone who sees fit to boo tomorrow should fuck off and never come back.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

With Trippier having played a fully 90 on Tuesday, Miggy, Bruno and Joelinton having come back from South America, wouldn't be surprised if there was a few changes for this one, especially with the Champions League game next week. Assuming Tonali and Anderson are fit, think id go for:

Pope

Livramento.    Schar.    Botman.      Burn

Tonali.  Bruno.  Anderson

Gordon.                                              Barnes

Wilson

It wouldn't happen but in theory take Burn out for Hall and I think that's a side that will pass and move you to death.

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

It wouldn't happen but in theory take Burn out for Hall and I think that's a side that will pass and move you to death.

I feel unreasonably excited about Hall, considering how green he is. Just feel he could give us so much more flexibility on the ball and even off it in cases where we want FBs to tuck in more centrally to help pack out midfield.