Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

1 hour ago, Ashley17 said:

Other than a dodgy 10/15 minute spell in the first half I don't think they put us under much pressure. They're an awkward opponent, a load of big lads and some speed merchants. They press well and are quite adept and penning an opponent in, it's hard to play out against and if you go long you'll probably get swallowed up by any of the three bash brothers playing centre half. Thought the ref was pathetic, I've never rated Pawson and was amazed he actually awarded us two penalties. The disallowed goal was ridiculous, but he gives fouls for just about any contact anywhere else on the field so maybe not that surprising.

Thought Bruno was the best he'd been in a while, the back four were near faultless and Gordon is very effective now he's up to speed. Barnes will be like this in 6 months, although I thought he grew into the game and got better as it went on. Still, not at our fluent best but unless teams really come out to play against us we probably won't ever be at our most fluid. The squad feels a bit samey without ASM as a wildcard, nothing against our other options but they don't feel like game changers off the bench. For all Burn's height was useful today and he didn't do a lot wrong, I really hope we see Hall in home games where the opposition are going to sit everyone behind the ball.

Aye. Our front 6 lacks finesse. Trippier is deeper than you would like and then there’s Burn.  

Get Isak in there instead of Anderson then you’ve got some finesse.  

4 hours ago, McDog said:

Barnes had a couple of cracking crosses.

He did indeed. He's completely league proven, and showed it in this game. We just need to make the most of it.

fwiw, despite the stat quoted when he was signed, he also beat his man several times and can clearly dribble a bit.

Not many of them fabled Harvey Barnes 1-2s yet, but as with the crosses, give it time.

Well this was my first match of the season, my observation was that we were the better team overall but we looked less fluid than last season. Our control of the ball was at times crap, yet we always looked a threat. I thought it had 0-0 written all over it but we have Wilson whom I thought was MOM yesterday. Gordon was lively but I struggled to pick out a highlight performance. The points were the main thing so nothing concerning tbh, thought the crowd were flat from the minute I entered the ground and it showed in the teams overall performance. Nice to be back mind . HWTFL

Harvey Barnes, in the second half, stood out as the man most likely to make something happen, and so it proved. 

I thought our superior fitness told as the game went on, as happened a few times last season. The old confidence seemed to be coming back a bit. 

But it's heart in mouth time every time Dan Burn gets the ball, in attack or defence. 

9 hours ago, alexf said:

We need to cut out the petulant bookings however. Gordon one away from a ban already?

Think the whole league are getting petulant bookings

Yesterday there were more yellow cards on a single day of Premier League football ever

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Think the whole league are getting petulant bookings

Yesterday there were more yellow cards on a single day of Premier League football ever

The referees are absolute arseholes. Mandates are all well and good but mean fuck all if they’re inconsistently applied. I’m still seething at Alexander-Arnold staying on after pulling his man back. Scouse cunts.

Just watching the extended highlights; there was plenty of good stuff, like. Barnes involved in an awful lot of it so I really hope he keeps his place. For all the front three were a new combination, they all contributed significantly to the goal. 

Think Wilson's performance is almost being a bit underrated on here; thought he was absolutely exceptional. He held up every high ball, came deep with good effectiveness, the penalty was emphatic and he had a proper swagger after his goal. A proper leader's performance and, tbh, everything Isak wasn't against Brighton. 

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone else disappointed with Anderson yesterday ? Thought he was our worst player by a distance. I’m yet to see anything from him to suggest he will be a good premier league player.

Ffs. You can tell by his passing he is going to be great. So controlled, never difficult for the receiving player to receive.

Put in a cracking through ball for Barnes. 

He’s learning. It’s a big jump up the leagues and he’s playing in a ‘new’ position. Give him time, he’s 20.

I do sometimes think we have the least patient fans in the league?

4 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Ffs. You can tell by his passing he is going to be great. So controlled, never difficult for the receiving player to receive.

Put in a cracking through ball for Barnes. 

He’s learning. It’s a big jump up the leagues and he’s playing in a ‘new’ position. Give him time, he’s 20.

I do sometimes think we have the least patient fans in the league?

Not sure he’s done anything so far that shows his going to be “great”

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure he’s done anything so far that shows his going to be “great”

He’s 20 years old and he’s on the verge of breaking into the first 11 of a top 4 premier league season, he was the best player in pre season and the England manager has just asked him not to play for Scotland in a friendly.

He’s shown a lot in his short career. He’s versatile. The only aspect of his game that has been slightly off is when he’s pressured in his own half. He will only get better at this with more experience though.

Fans writing him off are one of the only reasons he won’t become good. We should be giving our youngsters confidence. People did the same with Longstaff and you can see he’s never fully confident.

As a fan base it’s something we need to get a lot better at.

24 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone else disappointed with Anderson yesterday ? Thought he was our worst player by a distance. I’m yet to see anything from him to suggest he will be a good premier league player.

No.