AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Milan were nowhere near as bad as some of our more arrogant fans were expecting

We were nee where near as bad as every cunt in the world expected is to be either. 

We're allowed to be confident at times you know. 

Edited by Wilson

Tonali looks a little lost atm. No doubting his potential but just not seeing it myself. Weve lacked any sort of creativity since the Villa game. I know weve played some top teams but it is not existent. 

Edited by WinstonFC

22 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

What is intimidating about it? Genuine question, just interested to know 

It’s fucking massive for a start, the positioning of the ground makes it very intimidating on approach. Inside is similar, it’s just huge. 
the Milan fans do a great job of intimidating players, the Curza Sud Rosso is constantly going in a way English grounds aren’t. 
when we attacked, they had someone on a microphone or something making a tone that’s canny off putting, all the ground joins in. 
beat away ground I’ve been to by a mile. 

Good result but fucking hell were we shite on the ball. Was basically the Man  City away performance all over again, but just without the opposition getting the goal.

The away games in this group are going to be a nightmare for all teams in the group tbf, mind.

6 minutes ago, WinstonFC said:

Tonali looks a little lost atm. No doubting his potential but just not seeing it myself. Weve lacked any sort of creativity since the Villa game. I know weve played some top teams but it is not existent. 

Did you watch the Liverpool game?

Let's face it: Milan aren't the Milan of old.

We didn't necessarily play well with regards to stamping our authority on the game. Would you really expect us to though? I mean...howay.

Howe learned in 45minutes of football tonight. They had players strolling between our midfield and defensive lines and it was addressed second half. Our new weakness becoming attacking players with zero defensive positioning which ultimately showed our weakness in squad depth (with reference to higher strength in different areas). 

Milan lacked ruthlessness tonight. Chances didn't mean goals. Like a higher level version of Wolves at the weekend. A better version of us or a better team full stop would have snatched a 1 or 2 nil win potentially against the run of play.

Bothered? Am I fuck.

Pope laid the foundations with his saves to say we wouldn't be defeated. Trippier provided the level of quality and experience to provide comfort and above all else, Dan Burn and Sean Longstaff demonstrated what it meant to be playing that platform. Will either ever be world beaters, no. Not at all, but trust me it'd take a solid 8/9 out of 10 (regular) performer to oust the pair of them long term. They are absolutely our heartbeat. So if we take nothing but a point and one point from tonight. It's that our Geordie lads are who we are as a team.

Edited by Heron

Result, literally. We were really lucky to escape without conceding (some comical finishing). But god knows we’ve had our share of bad luck.

That said, I could see us beating them at SJP; unfortunately about as much as I can seeing us getting turnover by them—great at breaking/counter attacking. 

Frustrating to watch, still not looking like we’re clicking. The intent seems there, but nothing coming off at all. Could blame the humidity tonight maybe, but it’s not a performance that would make anybody worried.

Can’t single out anyone good or bad from that really. Tonali looked up for it first half but faded in the 2nd. Let’s hope we’re fully back to our best for Sheffield Utd. 

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Good result but fucking hell were we shite on the ball. Was basically the Man  City away performance all over again, but just without the opposition getting the goal.

The away games in this group are going to be a nightmare for all teams in the group tbf, mind.

That's how I saw it. Waiting for us to click and relax into playing proper football again, hope it happens soon

I think rather than be worried about our attack we should note the defenses we have played. Villa opened up because they thought they had the attacking ability to beat us and we punished them, City is the outlier, we just couldn't get a hold on the ball they're just too good. Then we have Liverpool 11v11 we had the measure of them and would likely have gone on to win, but they went down to 10 and sat in a low block to tire us out and it worked. Then Brentford came around and we're happy to sit deep nick the 2nd ball and hit us on the break. Then tonight Milan, there was large swathes of the game where they allowed us possession and hit us with the break too, Tomori was an absolute wall, it wasn't until we started to tire that they pressed high up the pitch and it nearly cost them.

We don't have the players, nor the ability to unlock a deep defense either with quality defenders or a well drilled back line, it was a problem last season and continues to be a problem now. All the teams we've played so far bar City have been happy to allow us to have the ball up to the half way line and ask us to break them down.

19 minutes ago, Heron said:

Let's face it: Milan aren't the Milan of old.

We didn't necessarily play well with regards to stamping our authority on the game. Would you really expect us to though? I mean...howay.

Howe learned in 45minutes of football tonight. They had players strolling between our midfield and defensive lines and it was addressed second half. Our new weakness becoming attacking players with zero defensive positioning which ultimately showed our weakness in squad depth (with reference to higher strength in different areas). 

Milan lacked ruthlessness tonight. Chances didn't mean goals. Like a higher level version of Wolves at the weekend. A better version of us or a better team full stop would have snatched a 1 or 2 nil win potentially against the run of play.

Bothered? Am I fuck.

Pope laid the foundations with his saves to say we wouldn't be defeated. Trippier provided the level of quality and experience to provide comfort and above all else, Dan Burn and Sean Longstaff demonstrated what it meant to be playing that platform. Will either ever be world beaters, no. Not at all, but trust me it'd take a solid 8/9 out of 10 (regular) performer to oust the pair of them long term. They are absolutely our heartbeat. So if we take nothing but a point and one point from tonight. It's that our Geordie lads are who we are as a team.

I don't think I was worried at any time that we would concede, it was a dogged, if a little ugly at times, display and we were determined not to let them through.

7 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I don't think I was worried at any time that we would concede, it was a dogged, if a little ugly at times, display and we were determined not to let them through.

Then your nerves are more steely than mine :lol:

First half it felt like a matter of time but second half I was a lot more confident.

Folk will be surprised by tonight. Journalists and fans of other clubs will reduce it to beginners luck but the reality is far different. We will grow from this.

Edited by Heron

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

Then your nerves are more steely than mine :lol:

First half it felt like a matter of time.l, but second half I was a lot more confident.

Folk will be surprised by tonight. Journalists and fans of other clubs will reduce it to beginners luck but the reality is far different. We will grow from this.

Only a couple of times I felt like they could do something, Pope knocking the ball back into danger when he should have collected and towards the end of the game when our left hand side was non-existent. But I still felt anything coming into the middle was going to get smothered, it was a real bodies on the line performance. Even then that weakness on the left gave them courage to push forward and we nearly walked away with the smash and grab.

And good, I like it when they all think we're crap/lucky/undeserving because they continue to undervalue us. Milan at home will still be a tough game because I think they'll sit deep again and want us to ask the questions, I just hope the other group games are more open as it seems even our own supporters think we can't attack.

38 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

It’s fucking massive for a start, the positioning of the ground makes it very intimidating on approach. Inside is similar, it’s just huge. 
the Milan fans do a great job of intimidating players, the Curza Sud Rosso is constantly going in a way English grounds aren’t. 
when we attacked, they had someone on a microphone or something making a tone that’s canny off putting, all the ground joins in. 
beat away ground I’ve been to by a mile. 

I love that - wish we’d do it more at SJP. We’re great when on song or sometimes when steel required but a consistent hostile environment at the opposition would be unique and really useful.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

Only a couple of times I felt like they could do something, Pope knocking the ball back into danger when he should have collected and towards the end of the game when our left hand side was non-existent. But I still felt anything coming into the middle was going to get smothered, it was a real bodies on the line performance. Even then that weakness on the left gave them courage to push forward and we nearly walked away with the smash and grab.

And good, I like it when they all think we're crap/lucky/undeserving because they continue to undervalue us. Milan at home will still be a tough game because I think they'll sit deep again and want us to ask the questions, I just hope the other group games are more open as it seems even our own supporters think we can't attack.

Think it'll develop a real shit or bust attitude in the back 3 games. We have the least to lose too. At home, I hope and half expect us to blow them away with intensity. Tonight felt a little like we'd allow them to have it to some degree. If we apply the pressure we did to say Spurs and Brighton at home last season we will beat all 3 teams at home.