Sheffield United Vs Newcastle United 24/09/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

I’d start Wilson ahead of Isak for this one. I’d also start Barnes and a decision needed between Tonali and Anderson. I’d perhaps bring Tonali on from the bench once he’s had a good look at what to expect.

I’m expecting a hard fought game.

22 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Halls not match fit. Howe said this in his presser the other week that he barely had a pre-season. 

He has been here a month, if a player has been injured for 3 months you don’t need to add an extra month on to that so they can get match fit. 

He’s also been on the bench the last 2 league games.

37 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

If Howe is using his squad properly then Barnes and Livramento should be starting this one.

I have no idea what we are doing with Hall at this point.

You start Livramento ahead of Trippier, in a game where most think we need 3 points?

If Trippier is fit to play, why not just play your best right back?

Same goes for Hall/Burn to an extent. With added problem that Targett is next in line at left back and that Hall is much younger and much greener.

They will get their chance. Be patient.

Edited by STM

2 hours ago, Maineblue said:

Iv got it Antony Gordon, got a feeling he will score today.

Hope so. He’s developing into a real mainstay of the team.
I’ve got the heebie jeebies about this game, half-fancied Everton to win yesterday and Sheffield Utd to similarly upset the odds today. So if he does score hope it is early and settles my (uncharacteristic) nerves 

9 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

He has been here a month, if a player has been injured for 3 months you don’t need to add an extra month on to that so they can get match fit. 

he’s been on the bench last few games aye doesn’t mean he’s match fit. He might have 20-30 mins in his legs but not fit enough to start. 

we’ve been playing Isak who isn’t fit either and his contribution has been next to zero last few weeks. 

but whatever, the physios, dieticians, club doctors and the coaching staff who watch him everyday in training clearly have it wrong about his fitness levels. 

11 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Come on, Howe has been the manager for 18 months now. Everyone should know by now that ‘match fit’ is not the same as being fit enough to play in an Eddie Howe team. We saw that with Gordon, where it has taken him 6 months to get up to standard and the point where he is used regularly. 

Also, so what if he's match fit? He's behind Burn and Targett at left back? Unless we plan on playing him elsewhere... he's not getting in the team yet.

You can argue he should be ahead of Targett, fine, I see the arguement but saying he's going to be better than Burn is mental. For all Burns faults, he's a steady performer and important in the way Howe plays. 

Its not about fitness, it's about trust. Let's see Hall perform from the bench or in the cup before deciding he should be thrown in against PL opposition.

19 minutes ago, STM said:

You start Livramento ahead of Trippier, in a game where most think we need 3 points?

If Trippier is fit to play, why not just play your best right back?

Same goes for Hall/Burn to an extent. With added problem that Targett is next in line at left back and that Hall is much younger and much greener.

They will get their chance. Be patient.

The game Wednesday is going to be much harder and every bit as crucial, unless we plan on going out of the cup with a whimper.

If we don’t feel that we can trust Livramento starting against relegation fodder in Sheffield United then what was the point in having him here this season.

I think we will batter them. We have played 4 or 5 decent teams, lost 3 but 2 of those games were against excellent teams in City and Brighton and god knows what happened in that Liverpool game.

Today will depend how we cope after champions league game.

20 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

We’ve just kept two clean sheets, including one away to Milan in the San Siro. Why change half the defence if they’re fit and available?

That is why you have a squad of players, to rotate them so they remain fresh all season.

This is pretty standard stuff.

48 minutes ago, STM said:

Which games don't we need 3 points in this season?

You could say we don't expect to win away Vs Man City, but everyone wanted our strongest XI out there because it was such a hard game. 

Which games do you rotate for by your logic?

FWIW I don't think we will rotate much today, if at all, but I think that's an area Howe needs to look to improve on because it's going to be a bloody long season for the first XI if he doesn't, and we'll have some seriously pissed reserves.

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

That is why you have a squad of players, to rotate them so they remain fresh all season.

This is pretty standard stuff.

change them when the players performances drop off or they show signs of fatigue. Not when they’ve just done a sterling job of keeping Milan out at the San Siro. 

pretty standard stuff. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

change them when the players performances drop off or they show signs of fatigue. Not when they’ve just done a sterling job of keeping Milan out at the San Siro. 

pretty standard stuff. 

So you spend £30 million plus on a young right back yet only give him the chance to play when either Trippier is in poor form or is struggling with fatigue??