Newcastle United 4-1 Paris Saint-Germain (04/10/23)

Disco

11 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxrUPULzKhU-8vTBkaxci0Z34eWvhlWRZi?si=sAd3IyEvZpvWs5TU

:lol: the blonde lass playing the drums has sent me. :lol: :lol:  Hopefully that clip works.

Also, PSG get a supermodel and we get Adam P virgin as a vlogger? Fuck sake man, she's unreal. 

K'in hell the blonde lass at 0:23 pretending to play the drums, brilliant. In stitches.

UEFA release must-watch footage from SJP – 21 seconds of sheer passion from Eddie Howe’s Mags!

Eddie Howe once said “intensity is our identity” and that showed in bucket loads on Wednesday night. PSG had a team worth half a billion, yet they had no match for our energy, pressing and team work.

One of THE great nights at St James’ Park and a team to be proud of.

Edited by prefabtoon

Newcastle xG 1.05

PSG xG 0.96

This tells me that we should not allways take xG and xA so seriously.. This suggests that we scored 4 wondergoals from nowhere, when in reality only the last one was a screamer.. How did PSG almost match our xG? Even their manager admitted that they didn't really scare us for the most part. If we scored just 1 goal this game from those chances that we had, we would be kicking ourselves, while PSG scoring just 1 was pretty fair.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, pedro111 said:

One thing I don't understand is how is the psg end just all ultras? Can no normal fans get in like families or old folk? There's no way that profile of fan would be able to get away tickets for us.

The Ultras groups in France can have undue influence on ticketing, one of the reasons Marseilles is in such crisis at the moment is that the club was trying to wrestle back control of the ticketing. 

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Newcastle xG 1.05

PSG xG 0.96

This tells me that we should not allways take xG and xA so seriously.. This suggests that we scored 4 wondergoals from nowhere, when in reality only the last one was a screamer.. How did PSG almost match our xG? Even their manager admitted that they didn't really scare us for the most part. If we scored just 1 goal this game from those chances that we had, we would be kicking ourselves, while PSG scoring just 1 was pretty fair.

You're never going to get the fully story from one or two metrics in such a complex game as football, even if they can usually be somewhat indicative. For another example see your comments regarding Tonali's passing accuracy :)

40 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

You're never going to get the fully story from one or two metrics in such a complex game as football, even if they can usually be somewhat indicative. For another example see your comments regarding Tonali's passing accuracy :)

I think that xG and xA is not the same as passing accuracy. Something similar would be "expected passing accuracy". Both Tonalis passing and the comment about xG and xA was based on what I saw in the game with my eyes. I would make a compilation on some of his involvements for you if I can figure out a way to download the game, because you seem to have missed it.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Erikse said:

I think that xG and xA is not the same as passing accuracy. Something similar would be "expected passing accuracy". Both Tonalis passing and the comment about xG and xA was based on what I saw in the game with my eyes. I would make a compilation on some of his involvements for you if I can figure out a way to download the game.

That's not my point. My point is that only passing accuracy and a small handful of metrics doesn't tell us the full story of his performance, which shares similarity with what I mentioned re: xG / xA.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

This video is really good, make sure you turn on English subtitles 

This bit from the end sums it up perfectly.

image.thumb.png.5ab838c03bc29454549d89d8d93e2db4.png

Brilliant that, apart from the lass doing it. I mean wtf do they know about being a football fan ?

12 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

That's not my point. My point is that only passing accuracy and a small handful of metrics doesn't tell us the full story of his performance, which shares similarity with what I mentioned re: xG / xA.

The only reason I checked his pass percentage was because I felt that he kept giving away the ball cheaply, and the stats were saying exactly what I thought that they would say. He had the lowest % out of all midfielders and strikes on the pitch. That's why I mentioned the stat. But I seriously think that pass percentage gives me more reliable information than xG or xA. It's much harder to define expected goals, while a pass to the opponent is allways a misplaced pass.

Edited by Erikse

Still not fully processed this result and performance yet tbh. It was staggering, all of it. The result, the resilience, the bravery and the sheer scale of it. It's one of those results that will become a bit of a milestone in the journey of the club - it was that good. 

Howe and the players were utterly superb from start to finish. Pressed the shit out of them, scared them stiff and reaped the rewards it gave. Sticking 4 past PSG whilst simultaneously keeping M'bappe, Dembele and Ramos quiet is exceptional. They weren't ready for us, they underestimated us and now they're behind us. Show the same levels home and away to Dortmund and we'll win the group of death.

We're fucking back baby :cool:

28 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

One thing I don't understand is how is the psg end just all ultras? Can no normal fans get in like families or old folk? There's no way that profile of fan would be able to get away tickets for us.

Tbf they didn’t sell out, they went to general sale in the away end. I imagine a lot of their “normal” fans may feel a bit intimidated travelling with the ultras. Certainly no way would you take your kids in that type of environment.