Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Pancrate1892 said:

Elliot Anderson is injured???

Looks like Miley will be getting some action. If Wilson gets crocked we are fucked 

The striker situation is legit terrifying.

Two strikers that pick up injuries is very shaky.

Has to be a January consideration to pick up another younger striker prospect that is good enough to contribute and develop further still.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

A draw away will be enough but we need PSG to run away with it and a win at home to Milan.

I was thinking this, but if we draw and get to 5 each and PSG piss the group, they go to Dortmund last game with nothing to play for. We probably need a draw in Paris as well plus beat Milan last game. 

16 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

[emoji38]

As per, you single out my post, instead of the ones being far far more negative, and don’t offer anything objective - as always. You basically agree with everything with everything I’ve said, you just fancy an argument and don’t have the balls to admit it. Find someone else for your daft obsession dude.

Is your lack of awareness so great, you basically think that I agree with everything you say? Dear fucking god. ?

You're an energy vampire who disappears for weeks on end, and suddenly appears whenever there's a loss/draw or some negativity for you to crank one out to. If you honestly think that Joelinton only offers a block, i would try a new sport, kid.

My guess is that you're a former Liverpool/Man Utd fan who jumped on the Keegan bandwagon, and you're pissed off that we haven't won the trophies you craved. 

Just now, TRon said:

The game is in two week's time. Isak would be the most important player, Murphy would have been another option to provide pace against their press. Things went against us tonight, but we also aren't in the best position to put it right in such a short span of time.

Hadn't looked at the schedule.

A turnaround in two weeks is a nightmare.

Don't think we'll have enough people back by then.

If we start Wilson, we can't have him up top alone again to start. 

Should start with the formation we finished the game playing.

Wouldn't count this bunch out. Still could see them finding a way even with so many missing. Going to be tough though.

Injuries are the main worry. Although I was thinking on Saturday that I'm surprised how often our predictable Plan A works - press, press, give it to Trippier. Give us the ball and force creation and I don't think we have answers. Dortmund figured this out easily & ensured we created very little - therefore you'd back them to do it again in two weeks.

Although it's more of a buzzkill feeling than devastation. Putting perspective on things, finishing third would also be class because we could go deep in the Europa - maybe out best shot of UCL qualification?

Ah whey, let's pray Isak isn't too bad.

2 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Is your lack of awareness so great, you basically think that I agree with everything you say? Dear fucking god. ?

You're an energy vampire who disappears for weeks on end, and suddenly appears whenever there's a loss/draw or some negativity for you to crank one out to. If you honestly think that Joelinton only offers a block, i would try a new sport, kid.

My guess is that you're a former Liverpool/Man Utd fan who jumped on the Keegan bandwagon, and you're pissed off that we haven't won the trophies you craved. 

Well no, I didn’t say that. I said he generally doesn’t offer anything against a low block and I stand by it. Who in their right mind wouldn’t at least partially agree with that? The vast majority of my posts in the past 2 years have been positive; love our team, Howe and the direction if the club. I was 5 when Keegan got the job here. Move on.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We had more of the ball, I think the same amount of shots and more corners, could easily have gone our way or theirs. 

That's what's so frustrating for me, we so close to a draw despite not being at our best. Hitting the crossbar for the second time was painful.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think if we’d score mid second half we could have won it. Not saying we deserved to win but it was very tight. 

We were much better in the second half for sure. But we lost because we had too many players in the first half who were more scared of the occasion than Dortmund.

Game of fine margins. A timely reminder to those who got/get carried away.

Man Utd would’ve won that game at home. #bluetouchpaperlit

We are a good team but still a bit green at this level. Quicker you suss out the ref for example the better.

Draw would’ve been a fair result but a 0-1 is not a total robbery either.

Hopefully we can finish 3rd and regroup.

We kept plugging away against an organised team but just lacked sharpness in the final third. Can’t fault the application. Isak massive miss. Targett did well when he came on and I think should have been rotated more. He’s a good player and has always offered good link up play and crossing ability. Burn has definitely earned his starting spot, but Targett should have made more appearances before now. 

Thought Bruno played well, Gordon was quality. Joelinton is a great ‘water carrier’ but lacks the quality and quickness of thought to be a precise midfielder at the highest level imo. I’m not being reactionary I’ve always thought that, not taking anything away from his turnaround. We need Willock to get up to speed asap. 

In hindsight I think Murphy should have started. 

Feels like we've learned some valuable lessons tonight that will stand us in good stead for the next 5 - 10 years. Thought they were excellent and controlled it well without being flashy and got the job done. Proper big boys football.

First half in particular thought we were forcing it too much and just needed to keep it and be patient and wait to drag them out of position, but not a disaster contrary to what some I've spoke to in the last hour would think. Onwards and upwards.