Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

I got into a couple of verbal jousts last night (1 with a mate, 1 with a stranger) when they were trying to make out we deserved to get beat and how much better they were, my mate even said about how they effortlessly sweeped up everything that came into their box, forgetting Gordon's one on ones, Wilsons missed sitter, hitting woodwork twice with the keeper beaten, "aye, but apart from them". How can see people only see what the other side do when we don't win ?

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

A point over the Milan and Dortmund fixtures is probably about right to be fair.

I was thinking that, but there's no inexorable Karmic equilibrium with these things.

Could so easily undeservedly lose two games on the spin now.

I've become quite melancholy about it after a very mature and philosophical outlook last night [emoji38]

1 minute ago, madras said:

I got into a couple of verbal jousts last night (1 with a mate, 1 with a stranger) when they were trying to make out we deserved to get beat and how much better they were, my mate even said about how they effortlessly sweeped up everything that came into their box, forgetting Gordon's one on ones, Wilsons missed sitter, hitting woodwork twice with the keeper beaten, "aye, but apart from them". How can see people only see what the other side do when we don't win ?

Yeah it was a close game. Could have been 3-3 after 10 minutes. We were just too open first half.

Once they scored it was always going to be tough. A draw would have been a fair result but then Milan would say they should have won. Don't always get what you deserve.

Thought I'd check my current record at SJP after the talk of Beren's misfortune... since Man City beat us 2-0 at the tail end of 2011/12, my record is currently:

W: 16

D: 6

L: 0

GF: 39

GA: 6

:lol: I knew I was on a canny run but fucking hell. Four of those six draws have been since the takeover as well. 

2 hours ago, madras said:

Yeah. Seen a lot of ‘they fully deserved their win’ type comments. I thought it was a really tight game, that could of gone either way. Ultimately, one bit of pure quality has settled it. On a night when it was severely lacking. 

I thought it was a quality away European performance from them. But some in the media, on Twitter, podcasts etc. Are going on like it was a tactical masterclass and we got beat 3 or 4. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I thought it was a quality away European performance from them. But some in the media, on Twitter, podcasts etc. Are going on like it was a tactical masterclass and we got beat 3 or 4. 

I don't think 'tactical masterclass' is a million miles away tbh. It generally takes such a thing to beat us at St James' Park. 

That doesn't mean we weren't good and it wasn't close, though. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think 'tactical masterclass' is a million miles away tbh. It generally takes such a thing to beat us at St James' Park. 

That doesn't mean we weren't good and it wasn't close, though. 

Nah. I thought they were good. Very good, even. We had a lot of players below par and missed a couple of sitters (they had good chances early on too). Isak getting injured early as well when he looked lively as fuck. Which ruined our attacking play for about an hour until Wilson got into the game. 

Of course some of our players not performing will be down to their tactics and also the conditions. But the amount of brain dead play from so many of our lot and complete individual, unforced errors. I’m not having that this was some genius plan for the ages from them. We just can’t carry players at this level. 

I’d say we’re still a bit naive and inexperienced at this level. Where the margins are even finer. Start of the season and when this group was drawn. I don’t think many would have expected much in the CL. Yet they’ve hung on for a 1-0 win and they’re getting mad praise for it. Just not seeing it, myself. 

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought I'd check my current record at SJP after the talk of Beren's misfortune... since Man City beat us 2-0 at the tail end of 2011/12, my record is currently:

W: 16

D: 6

L: 0

GF: 39

GA: 6

:lol: I knew I was on a canny run but fucking hell. Four of those six draws have been since the takeover as well. 

Delighted for you. :pilko:

2 hours ago, madras said:

Aye, Sheffield United dealt with everything as well. Except for the 8 times we scored.

What a dumb argument for your friend to make! 🤣

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Shame we lost Isak so l early as to not exploit Hummel's lack of pace.

yeah, this was on all first half. The one time Isak got put through was when he injured himself :lol: 

Very much an unlucky game for us tbh.

From a very basic point of view, we've performed poorly for:

15 minutes against Liverpool 

90 against Brighton

45 against West Ham

And that's about it. It would be harsh to be too critical with our draw in the San Siro or indeed or loss to City and I'd put this loss in that bracket, you have to give some credit to the side you are playing.

Dortmund finished one of their good chances, we didn't. We were about 4 inches away from a creditable draw, twice.

Play like that against Wolves, we will win... because we will get even more chances and Wolves don't have the quality Dortmund do. This is why the mental side is important.

To be fair, I thought it was a close game, but couldn't begrudge Dortmund the win. They could have been out have been out of sight at half time and while we improved after the break, game state saw them sit deeper and ride their luck. It was a decent showing away from home in Europe though.

We could have had a draw, but then again I can't complain at the loss. Well, I can, but don't feel cheated by it.

For all the what could have beens (shots off the bar, scuffed chances, missed passes), Dortmund could equally point to Pope keeping us in it two or three times as well.

A frustrating game to watch for me after Isak went off. We didn't play badly - pretty well in patches - but as disappointing as it was to lose it's hard to feel robbed.

30 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Nah. I thought they were good. Very good, even. We had a lot of players below par and missed a couple of sitters (they had good chances early on too). Isak getting injured early as well when he looked lively as fuck. Which ruined our attacking play for about an hour until Wilson got into the game. 

Of course some of our players not performing will be down to their tactics and also the conditions. But the amount of brain dead play from so many of our lot and complete individual, unforced errors. I’m not having that this was some genius plan for the ages from them. We just can’t carry players at this level. 

I’d say we’re still a bit naive and inexperienced at this level. Where the margins are even finer. Start of the season and when this group was drawn. I don’t think many would have expected much in the CL. Yet they’ve hung on for a 1-0 win and they’re getting mad praise for it. Just not seeing it, myself. 

Broadly agree. I think we needed key players to unlock them and we lost both players who might have troubled them with pace. Dortmund have a good defensive record, but they don't score many so it was always going to be a tight game. They deserved their win, it was an energetic performance from them, but if we'd scored we'd have deserved the point as well.

A point was probably fair result, considering they played well and we were slightly below our par.

I was disappointed with our final ball in the final third, so many times we got someone in the 'pocket' running at their back 4 with options either side and we didn't get the final ball right/held onto it too long etc. I'd say there was 5-10 occasions that fell into this bracket and we're normally pretty clinical from them.

Referee was poor, for both sides. Wilson not getting a free kick when the guy was literally kegging him a highlight.

1 hour ago, Smal said:

decent analysis of what was good/bad last night in this thread.

This particular shot felt a fairly consistent problem for us in the first 20 or so, reminiscent of some of our play against City and Brighton with opposition roaming and finding spaces behind the midfield. It got a lot better as the game went on but it's hard to know if that's because they scored and changed tactics a bit. Bruno caught between press and a lack of decisiveness from the rest of the midfield.

image.thumb.png.574f290458a5a07dcb182cea70f402bc.png