Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

On 05/11/2023 at 09:21, Gawalls said:

A few on the Arsenal forum are saying that Willock is getting racial abuse on Twitter from Arsenal fans?

Most aren’t happy about it like so must just be a few.

From what I have seen in the past, seems like a lot of Arsenal fans still have a soft spot for Joe. 

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

From what I have seen in the past, seems like a lot of Arsenal fans still have a soft spot for Joe. 

A mate of mine whos an Arsenal fan has allways tried to tell me that Willock is just a really good player, and they didn't necessarily let him go because of his lack of ability. It took me a while to start realising that he has the potensial to become a top player, and I can now see why my mate was saying what he said about him.

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

[emoji38] Paid the refs.

[emoji38] One of the most corrupt matches ever seen.

[emoji38] Spent the whole game diving.

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Totally football podcast: 

‘Does anybody want to say anything nice about Newcastle?’

’No’

Also, Carl Anka compares us to using public transport, like he would fucking know about that. 

Carl Wanker am I rite?

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Saliba is absolutely class btw. Insanely talented player.

Yeah has a bit of the van dijk aura from a few year ago about him, strong, fast, always making the right decision and calm as out 

Thought he handled Wilson easily, other than when they had the tussle from on the half way line and Wilson took him out the game, think it ass the chance that gordon could have taken after Miggy played him through 

2 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Yeah has a bit of the van dijk aura from a few year ago about him, strong, fast, always making the right decision and calm as out 

Thought he handled Wilson easily, other than when they had the tussle from on the half way line and Wilson took him out the game, think it ass the chance that gordon could have taken after Miggy played him through 

There is a reason that Arsenal started struggling when he got injured last season.

39 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Actually showed why the goal was right to stand 

:thup: Dermot Gallagher and 2 former pros all said the ball out of play and offside were called correctly as no definitive evidence of either. 

Which leaves the "foul". Gallagher said he thought it was a foul but he'd spoken to former colleagues who disagreed. 1 out of 2 former pros thought it was a foul (Warnock didn't). 

Gallagher said this showed how subjective it was and that although his personal decision would have been foul, the split opinions show it was a difficult one. 

All 3 said Havertz was yellow but he was very, very lucky. Gallagher said he should have had a 2nd yellow for another slide tackle later on. Gallagher said Havertz couldn't have complained if the original tackle was called as a red, and that the lack of solid contact from the lead foot probably saved him. 

The 2 pros said Bruno red but Gallagher actually said he thought it was a yellow. 

Edited by Interpolic

I thought there was a directive a few years ago that players who went down clutching their faces when there had been no facial contact should face some sort of sanction? Can't remember if it was to be retrospective. It seems to be becoming quite common again. At Arsenal anyway. ?

Mikel Arteta appeared close to spontaneous combustion as he launched into a rather undignified rant about the perceived injustice of Newcastle’s winner. Anthony Gordon’s second-half goal was given following a triple-VAR-check for three potential offences, but it was not the only controversy in an intense, evenly-matched contest.

The thought occurred that had a female coach reacted like Arteta did, they might expect to be labelled as hysterical, unbalanced or overly emotional. Amid the headline quotes, Arteta also had to admit Eddie Howe’s Newcastle have morphed into “big contenders”. Fabian Schär, a £3m central defensive signing by Rafael Benítez, was an example of the hosts’ superb defensive work and sublime distribution. On the balance of play, Arsenal should not feel they were entitled to a point at St James’ Park. Louise Taylor

I mean did anyone else in the world except Louise Taylor even have this thought?

Guest reefatoon

All their bitching on about VAR, yet the worst decision by VAR was not giving skip rat Havertz a red.

When Schar gets booked for it, he looks over to the bench moving his arms as if saying, the ref has lost it here and he had. 

Wouldn’t have had any issue with Bruno being sent off in this game, there’s no way our lads should have got yellow cards for querying the tackle, we weren’t even aggressive about it. Havertz should have been off with a straight red and failing that he should have had at least one other yellow later in the game. Nothing else to add about the goal. Ref was a weak piece of shit all game and it was frankly amazing that he allowed the goal after giving them most 50-50s. I’d say in the grand scheme of things neither side was badly done by even though we both had justified red card claims. However, the ref was still appalling 

Apologies as I can't remember who it was that pointed it out first on Saturday but the fact that Gabriel was immediately protesting to the ref about the ball being out of play rather than the "push" just shows that claim up as total bollocks.

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Apologies as I can't remember who it was that pointed it out first on Saturday but the fact that Gabriel was immediately protesting to the ref about the ball being out of play rather than the "push" just shows that claim up as total bollocks.

Was Optimistic Nut :thup: