Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

100%. Also if Longstaff's leg is more planted also a leg breaker.

So many Arsenal fans have gone totally flat earth/birds are all fake on this game and the goal specifically.  They just will not acknowledge that all three decisions relating to the goal are highly debatable, so its correct for the on field decision to stand.

I do think we were lucky to get the goal just because we had three approx 50/50 decisions go our way in real time, so by this maths there is a 1 in 8 chance of the goal standing. VAR is explicitly set up to only overturn clear and obvious errors, there simply weren't any here. 

Doesn't quite work that way though if it's being used properly. Not necessarily 50/50, because the onus is on VAR for finding something definitive to overrule the on field call. Two of them were pretty much ruled out on inspection, and the last was inconclusive. It's pretty clear that VAR got it right. In fact, this should be for the textbooks.

1 minute ago, pubteam said:

The Arsenal statement gets more funny every time you read it. Can a club be charged with bringing the game into disrepute?

Yes. Will they? Doubtful. 

Just now, pubteam said:

The Arsenal statement gets more funny every time you read it. Can a club be charged with bringing the game into disrepute?

They can and will be. managers are frequently hauled up for asking questions about referees. I would be more suspect if Arteta wasn't asked before the Committee to 'explain his remarks'....followed be a £100 fine and a 'don't do it again you naughty boy' warning

4 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Their fans were absolutely shit by the way. Heard them twice all game. Even in the first half when they were on top they were silent.

Not the main thrust of the statement I know, but they're in an alternative reality.

That "Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal" chant ranks as bad as the "Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea" one.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Would love it if the PL did come out and apologise, but for getting this one wrong. Then hand Arteta a £100k fine and 3 match ban.

London will not have seen fume like that since the great London Fume of 1952

9 minutes ago, ste_ne24 said:

Thought Real Geordie was banned from this place. If not why not @Yorkie? STAMP DOWN YOUR AUTHORITARIAN HAMMER FOOT. 

Just now, STM said:

No sign of Tonali. Anyone know if he was there supporting the lads?

Bumped into him at Blue Flames fireworks tonight. He said this hog roast is fucking lush, but you know what... fucking hate the toon. 

Edited by OCK

24 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I've no idea how some can look at that and say it's not a blatant red card tbh.

My interpretation of it was Havertz has gone to block the ball and leave something on Longstaff.

Thankfully his front foot doesn't make contact and he's clipped him with his trailing leg, so he's got away with a yellow.

It's a tough decision and I can see the argument for a red, I don't think it's overturned if given on-field.

19 hours ago, Stifler said:

That’s not true, broadcasters have been quite clear that VAR have access to more camera’s than they do. We have actually had numerous incidents where this has cropped up, one time when those lines that went diagonally were shown and they came out and clarified that those images were broadcasters images, not VAR images.

As I say though, the nature of the goal line technology is that there is a camera along the goal line from each side, as well as others at other points, some of which include top down angles. 

The key thing is the last line in your post VAR has access to those cameras.  The broadcasters don't.  It's been confirmed as in anyway so its just comes down to whether Joelinton fouled him which he didn't as he was diving for the ball.