Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

One thing I'm finding more and more recently, is that I'm not actually that downtrodden when we lose, I'm naturally disappointed, but I'm not anyway as effected as I once was. Mainly as I know that we have the players, manager and staff that will make sure they do everything they can to make it right next game.

It's a slightly odd feeling :lol:

Yes that's exactly how I feel.

Its boring really - knowing were growing, going places and going to be stronger with every step.

its like taking a bad day at the office in your stride when you have an otherwise good life or something.

It might seem a better attitude with me than it actually is cos I part think of anybody that beats us "matter of time before you're gonna get it"

Edited by Jonas

Been impressed with Dortmund both legs. Hadn’t seen them play for a long time. Better than us physically and technically for the most part. Might have been different if we’d scored at least once to see if they’d wobble. Who was on here thinking we’d hammer them at home again?

14 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Were ahead of schedule, fucking bereft with injuries and fatigue and were in the hardest possible group. We all knew the squad was going to be stretched this season before the injury criis.

Was possible to get out of the group but we were the underdogs and we've held our own.

Expecting to beat these away with half a team out!?

Only disappointment is not getting to give it our best crack due to injury crisis - an annyoning we'll never know.

Spot on well said. I thought we played pretty well tonight and that’s a tough place to go. You have to take chances like Joelinton’s though if you’re going to get something in a fixture like that. 

That number of injuries would stretch anyone and we’ve dealt with it admirably up until now. I think these fixtures do also highlight where the next phase of strengthening is needed…..to get us sharper and more ice cold with more options and quality in the final 3rd to take our chances and really finish teams off. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a pisser, but it’s hard not to imagine that Tonali, Isak and Botman wouldn’t have made a hell of a difference in these last two games.  The other players missing too, but those three being missing is a massive hole. 

Barnes as well, if he wanted to give players a rest it would be nice to have those different options up top, then we could have started Tino at full back. He did ok on the wing but was probably our best player as soon as he moved back 

We'll be alright lads. We've gone pound for pound against some of the best teams in the world and not looked out of line. This is with players who were playing in the Championship. Imagine in 4-5 years. We'll be right as rain.

The difference simply in these 2 games is 1 team plays in this competition year in year out and we dont and that has shown from how they played us. They are experienced and know how to win these kind of group games, it will come in time for us look how long it took City to adapt and progress to levels of where they are now

Its disappointing but it is what it is no harm done it was always going to be an insanely tough group and i think weve faired pretty well. Just need to ensure we finish 3rd and have some european competition after xmas, if we finish 4th then we should just give the carabao cup one hell of a go

12 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I think we're struggling with the slower tempo of CL football. Its more technical and less frantic than the PL. I think some players havent adapted yet and it hasnt suited them. Joelinton, Willock and Longstaff have been brilliant in the frantic pace of the PL, but have looked technically off it in the CL. Tonali may have been better suited in these games, certainly looked better against Milan and PSG than he has in the PL.

Yeah, I think this is a really good assessment. It's been strange seeing us being completely unable to force the issue in three out of four games, when you're so used to watching us play in the ascendancy with a lethal press, even against the best PL teams. It's just a noticeably different 'type' of football this, as you say, and we haven't really adapted tactically. 

Player Ratings (scale of 1 - 11):

Pope: 6.34 - Probably saved the ones he should save. Let in the ones he probably shouldn't save.

Trippier: 5.53 - Champions League Trips isn't as good as premier league Trips! Bit off it today. Moved to LB and couldn't cope with their winger so was moved back again.

Newcastle United Fan Lewis Hall: 5.63 - Didn't think he did too much wrong, particularly considering his inexperience. Trips couldn't handle their winger either. Good to see him get a start.

Lascelles: 5.84 - Did ok, lost a couple of high balls which is usually his strength.

Schar: 6.25 - One lovely through ball to Joelinton. Did ok.

Bruno: 6.41 - Didn't really control the game or make a key attaking contribution that I can remember but generally tidy.

Longstaff: 5.23 - Sort of drifts then gets a little bit involved. Made a couple of runs off the ball, but didn't really see him do anything. Improved a lot over the last year but I'd like to see him be more assertive and demand to influence the game.

Willock: 5.74 - Some promising moments but ultimately didn't really create anything. Looked gassed near the end so obviously not up to full fitness yet.

Joelinton: 6.42 - Big Joe in the box man :D he's usually one of our better headers as well. I thought a lot of what we did well offensively tended to come through him, particularly first half. Not dominating by any means but some nice touches and on the rare occasions we did anything he was often part of it.

*Tino - 7.94: Not quite as good on the wing (though did ok), but at full back thought he was excellent: made some good tackles, beautiful cross for Joelinton. Got moved to left back I thought because Trips wasn't handling their winger. He could. Man of the Match- he wins a virtual bottle of babysham.

Wilson - 4.93: Feel he's having a bit of a form slump, bit like last year. Perhaps he has SAD. He's barely retained possession for 3 games now. Not helped by the fact we don't really play with anyone supporting the striker but telling he was subbed at half time. You know he'll still grab goals though so not concerned.

Subs:

Miggy: 6.38 - Added some energy and tempo. Got himself a couple of half chances. No really telling attacking contribution.

Gordon: 5.90 Bit like Miggy but being the striker wasn't able to get quite as involved.

Miley: Too late to rate. Good to see him on though.

Overall: Looked a bit tired and a lacking in technical quality. Felt there was often a lack of movement in central midfield when we had the ball so no real interplay there. Maybe the lineup was a bit defensive and that filtered through to the mentality, though understandable. They only let us into the game once they'd scored.

They were often getting two or three up to support the striker when they hit long balls or played through the lines. They were able to exploit that pocket between the midfield and back four a lot. When we struggle teams are doing this.

We definitely need to add a couple of really top technical creative players to be consistently competing at this level, hopefully a job for the summer, but some of the young lads got a champions league blooding and hopefully that'll do them good in the long run.

Two more games to go. Better luck next time.

Edited by Checko

My bairn (9yr old) stood up at the final whistle and clapped.

He knows this is totally different to the prem. Totally new experience for most of them. Bare arsed squad. Proper full on graft week in week out.

This lot are fucking leaving everything on the field every game. 

Not a single excuse can be found for losing tonight.

Dortmund were class. 

Felt similar to the home game against them tbh. They seemed to have a slight edge in most areas when it really mattered, the way they set up seems to be quite effective at occupying our defensive line and creating space for their attacking threats, they are some way off the best in Europe but are no pushovers and have a good mix of dynamism and experience and their manager is clearly no idiot either. That said, we could/should still have come away with something if we'd taken our chances when they were presented to us but we were also a fair way below our best. Just one of those nights, nothing to be ashamed of and some strong individual efforts in defeat.

Edited by Dandy Man

16 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Disappointing like. So frustrating. Thought we were better tonight in parts than the home leg. That Joelinton chance was a sitter, you have to, have to take chances like that at this level. The second goal was absolutely criminal at any level too. 

Thought aside from the PSG game, we've not looked good in any of our CL games. I think we're struggling with the slower tempo of CL football. Its more technical and less frantic than the PL. I think some players havent adapted yet and it hasnt suited them. Joelinton, Willock and Longstaff have been brilliant in the frantic pace of the PL, but have looked technically off it in the CL. Tonali may have been better suited in these games, certainly looked better against Milan and PSG than he has in the PL.

I think we really miss Isak too, he's a focal point and holds the ball up well. Wilson in both legs barely layed a glove on their centre halves, Isak would have caused more problems. 

Anyway, the most important thing is that Howe and the lads learn from this. I think qualifying is gone now, but Europa league isnt out of sight. 

Such a good point about the tempo :thup:

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Can anyone work out what the tactical change was when Pope was “injured”?

The most obvious to me was Tripps and Tino switching sides. Other than that I wasn’t able to pay close enough attention to notice. 

Edited by cubaricho

3 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

My bairn (9yr old) stood up at the final whistle and clapped.

He knows this is totally different to the prem. Totally new experience for most of them. Bare arsed squad. Proper full on graft week in week out.

This lot are fucking leaving everything on the field every game. 

Not a single excuse can be found for losing tonight.

Dortmund were class. 

Even your 9 year old gets it, and has a better perspective than some on here.

Kudos to you sir.

Would like to see Trippier and Longstaff rested on Saturday if possible. Thought those two in particular looked spent tonight (understandably).

We've got 10 games between 28th November and 1st January, and they're going to be vital during that run