Your own football ability - how good are/were you?

Big Geordie

Held my run towards goal, to hit a volley (with my right) as a pass dropped over my left shoulder. Crashed off the underside of the crossbar and out off the line. About as good as it got for me.

Posted (edited)

I scored a hat trick against Lanchester St Bedes when we got beat 9-3 Barry Donachy scored all of their goals and went on to play for West Brom.

He was absolute class ...

I played for Greencroft Comp back then and was as fast as fuck...also in County Durham relay team on third baton change...

Edited by Terrymac1966

6 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

I scored a hat trick against Lanchester St Bedes when we got beat 9-3 Barry Donachy scored all of their goals and went on to play for West Brom.

I played for Greencroft Comp back then and was as fast as fuck...also in County Durham relay team on third baton change...

Greencroft Gabriel Obertan.

Posted (edited)

I would've been a better player if I wasn't on the piss all the time. Also fell in the trap of revelling in an ever blossoming reputation as a "spoiler". Played full back (left) for years then as I dropped standard became a midfield General 😜

Was having a few swallies last weekend and a mate asked me if I fancied a 60min kick about, 6 a side at Crammy Sports cos they were short. 

Obvs 7 pints deep I said "why tf not" 

60 Yr old me, who has kicked a ball for varnigh 20 years, rocked up with my brand new, white, Sondico top and manky old trainers. Obvs had shorts and socks on as well, btw, I'm not a perve. 

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed it but, boy, was I fooked. Tore a bit a calf muscle, a bit of a hammie, tackled myself at least twice and am still aching 3 days later. 

Roll on next Tuesday 😎

Edited by Groundhog63

Posted (edited)
On 25/11/2023 at 10:43, STM said:

Always knew exactly what I wanted to do with the ball but just didn't have the legs or lungs.

These kids nowadays don't realise how good they have it. My sons being playing for 5 years or so and he's ten, small pitches, smaller goals, smaller balls, smaller sized games. I was only starting at his age and it was straight onto massive pitches and massive goals, 90 minutes.

As a Finn, we trained on snowy pitch or sand for until May, then on to horrible bumpy grass.. Now that my 3 yo has started "football" (more like group of kids and parents play around a bit with the ball and then there are different workouts for parents too in the same time) they are on artificial turf and during winter a warm indoor pitch. So a bit different :D 

I played as a striker as until 13-14, scored a decent amount but wasn't much of athlete. As a adult I have played as centerhalf and DM. Just kicking people to bits.

Edited by KingArthur

I was an absolute legend, in my own mind. Best position: left back in the changing room. Played against Gazza and taught him everything he knows—about coping with life. 
Joking aside, played at a decent level as a boy but I would have been far better if I played to my physical strengths:  tall athletic/good engine but wanted to be a dribbler/winger or playmaker type. Suspect I would have stood out more, and made a much better, central defender. 

It remains one of life's great tragedies for me that I was a football obsessive - and known as that - yet was at best 'enthusiastic' on the pitch.

Even more tragic that I was always a pretty fucking great aim with my hands (basketball, bowling at cricket, passing with rugby) etc.  Proper cunt's trick life plays on us sometimes

I was good skill and pace wise, but lacking confidence and being too much of a coward to get stuck in to ever become anything. I wish I had heeded my fathers advice to start playing handball in the winters. I think the physicality of that sport would have toughened me up and helped me become a better footballer. Oh well, bit late now that I'm 41 :lol:

Thought myself a fairly good goalkeeper in my teens. Some clangers one season zapped my confidence though. Moved on to tennis afterwards like a prat.

I went to school with Bobby Charlton and he was shite, even at 13 he had a comb over and couldn't use his left foot and only scored shit punts. I had the physique of tony yeboah and I was faster than Usain bolt and once scored 50 goals in one match. Before I got a call up for England I decided to become a milkman. The rest is history. 

I reckon I had the technical skills to have been decent. 6ft 3, with a bullet shot with either foot and excellent at long range passing. Not sure how it came about but whatever I could execute with the right foot could be done with the left with no drop in quality, although I did prefer the left foot. Was shit at heading though.

alas...aptitude, girls and parties and lack of guidance meant that all I have are some good memories and regret that I never achieved anything of note.

I cannot recall the exact age group, I must have been 11 or 12yrs old but I recall winning a cup final, and the opposition team had Quinton Fortune (ex ManU) in their team and he was already showing serious promise, running the show but we put our best man marker on him and got a winner late in the game. [emoji38]

Nut-megged Nick Pickering. Scored for our unofficial youth team against Stoke. Got put in with the big lads from my own age group at Benwell. Know I did things that impressed people hearing them mention it amongst themselves because in our culture you wouldn't compliment the person directly.

And I'll take that, not having the guts to find out or play against anybody better (small pond obviously) I've achieved what I set out to, to never know.

In our group of about ten that played regularly probably the 6th best ended up playing in the very early qualifiying rounds of the FA Cup years after everybody else had stopped playing. Get more confidence vicariously from that or trials you hear whispers about people having than anything at my end. Didn't feel performing was in my hands and very form related as I never learned, I could just do things.

Absolutely shite but this has been a great read and take a bow JonBezcomesock, loved those sessions at Maidenhead.

Brother has loads of photo's of his kids with players and Keegan, magic.:)

On 30/05/2024 at 23:32, Terrymac1966 said:

He was 17 when he made his debut for them, it was on MOTD that night I think.

Two other kids from the NE went down to West Brom at the same time as him.

One was getting an occasional run out in the reserves when Donaghy made his debut. John Trewick.

One was considered too small and not even in the reserves but they thought he had a great attitude. Bryan Robson.

Just shows how things can turn around in football.

I was very fast, quite tricky and could hit a shot. Poor in the air though and couldn't tackle for shit. I was also a 10 stone weakling.

As such I played best as a winger or striker. I never tried Sunday League (well except once when I played emergency right-footed left back for some mates), preferring a lie in and a bit of relaxation so pretty-much stopped playing after my uni days. Certainly wasn't good enough for club trials or anything, but I was decent enough amongst school mates and for park kickarounds. Also used to enjoy playing in goal as I loved diving about and was pretty decent in nets, but was never tall enough to take it seriously.

Closest I've got to a claim to footballing fame was our works team played a pre-season friendly against Blyth Spartans, away, and I came a whisker from opening the scoring from a corner. But they then thrashed us, think it was 5-0 or something like that with them literally walking round the pitch whilst we chased shadows. Proper men vs boys stuff, even at that lower league level. They basically stopped attacking at 5 after putting the game to bed, I guess they worried one of us might get angry and take one of them out? Not that we would. But they could have scored with every attack if they wanted to.

27 minutes ago, Mountain said:

No idea what that means but all the best.

He means "moocher" various spellings. The lowest of the low in schoolboy football. Someone who did fuck all but wait in the box for the ball to drop to him and tap it in.

1 hour ago, madras said:

He means "moocher" various spellings. The lowest of the low in schoolboy football. Someone who did fuck all but wait in the box for the ball to drop to him and tap it in.

Thanks mate. I wish it was that simple in competitive games, would have loved that, my school team was crap so actually had to make runs and score headers and make movement in the box to give the space to be a moocher, I'll proudly be called that though. Groovy days.