Everton 3-0 Newcastle United (07/12/23)

Mike

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

I recommend watching the Brighton, West Ham and the other away games then.

West Ham was actually all right. They started sharp then we dominated, should have been 3 or 4 up if not for poor finishing and got caught with a su ker punch.

Bad day at the office today, 11 players out injured, 4 games in 12 days against some big clubs. Team is fatigued, and while it sounds good to say chuck the kids on for a run, it's really just setting them up to fail. Things will be alright, we will start getting players back soon enough

Honestly if you think either: they're not fatigued or their fatigue isn't a justifiable excuse, I dunno what to tell you. :lol: Lewis Miley has played every minute of the last four games. He's a boy ffs.

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I recommend watching the Brighton, West Ham and the other away games then.

Brighton and West Ham were nothing like tonight in terms of energy. Bournemouth and tonight are the matches where the energy hasn't been there.

Well.. If we outplay Tottenham in the next game, does that mean we were actually not so tired for this one after all? We were exhausted against PSG but outplayed Man Utd for 80 minutes 5 days later. How did that happen? It's a little confusing for me, we're exhausted every away game and in the home games our players are not exhausted all of a sudden. Is it because the away games are so more demanding physically?

Edited by Erikse

It's not as simple as a 5 day break should mean a good performance as opposed to a 3 day rest etc. I'm not sure why anyone would think it is. It's not as if there's ever been any question about the work rate of this group of players. They clearly look shattered. 

Subs and rotation are a huge part of the game these days and we have the benefit of neither. Some of those players must be wiped out. The likes of Gordon, Schar and Trippier never get a rest. The mental and physical fatigue is going to accumulate while we're in this shit position. 

They still manage to put in great performances like Chelsea, PSG and Man Utd but we're going to get nights like tonight while we don't have 15+ genuine first team options to choose from. It's a challenging situation that we can only manage as best we can until players are back / recruited.

No use throwing toys out the pram that we're not winning every game in the meantime. Need to stick with it and realise we're amidst some freak circumstances but taking a step back we've never had it so good and the future is bright. Bit of perspective. 

1 minute ago, madras said:

West Ham was actually all right. They started sharp then we dominated, should have been 3 or 4 up if not for poor finishing and got caught with a su ker punch.

Yeah it was the best of the lot.

22 minutes ago, CraftyII said:

Look, I don't mind having the piss ripped out of me on here, and I'll go along with the banter.

I thought that vid, when first posted up on here some time ago, was shocking, even if it was staged. It was demeaning to the woman concerned, who apparently had no idea of what the guy had done. That's all.

I took exception to it because bignevruled decided to post it in a new thread, and attribute the action to me. Not acceptable.

The above is my simple position. The variances in bignevruled's post bother me not one whit. I reply as I see. I thought it hilarious, for example, when he quoted Acts of Parliament - I've been involved in those things for a number of years during my working life. I think the Teletext incident was brilliant - I made a humorous reply to a recent quip, for example. I will continue to make humorous replies to such quips.

I don't mind being a target for piss-taking, as long as those who do so take in good grace what comes back at them in return.

I will NEVER demean another member on this forum in the manner that bignevruled did to me with this thread.

I hope all of the foregoing explains things more clearly. I can do no more...

I smell mackem.

A8A6FA1C-99A3-4B83-BD18-C150BAFB42A0.gif

Just now, Yorkie said:

Honestly if you think either: they're not fatigued or their fatigue isn't a justifiable excuse, I dunno what to tell you. :lol: Lewis Miley has played every minute of the last four games. He's a boy ffs.

They're athletes and had a few days rest man!  

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Well.. If we outplay Tottenham in the next game, does that mean we were actually not so tired for this one after all? We were exhausted against PSG but outplayed Man Utd for 80 minutes 5 days later. How did that happen? It's a little confusing for me, we're exhausted every away game and in the home games our players are not exhausted all of a sudden.

Away games are obviously more taxing than playing at SJP. ???

Just now, Yorkie said:

Away games are obviously more taxing than playing at SJP. ???

Ofcourse. I added that before you replied. But how are we still so dominant at home when all our players are exhausted?

Not worth crying over, we've played a lot of football with the same 11 players, physically and mentally it can't be easy on them, it is problematic that our away form has been, on the whole, pretty horrendous though. Spurs away next doesn't bode well for us either.

We're literally limping to January at this point, got some players coming back before then and hopefully some recruits to give our core players a breather. We've finished strong under Howe every season so I think we'll still be there or there abouts come May.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Brighton and West Ham were nothing like tonight in terms of energy. Bournemouth and tonight are the matches where the energy hasn't been there.

Its just not only the energy. Its the collapse after going down 1-0 away from home for several games now. Something isnt right in the away games. Wasnt going to make a long debate here :lol:. i just think Saturday- Thursday is enough to put in a decent performance agree or not.

20 minutes ago, madras said:

Do if you have to.

Fullback is literally the only position at the moment where he doesn’t have to. I know Krafth and Hall are significant steps down, and the benefit of hindsight and all that, but what is the point of having players available who can step in when others are clearly knackered, and not using them?! 

Luckily for me I missed the Brighton hammering and this. Caught the first 20 minutes on the radio and it didn’t sound great. 

With the way the squad is at the minute. You always feel like the longer games go on at 0-0. There is less and less chance we get of getting a point or 3. Always going to gas near the end and feels like we need a lead to hold on to. 

Plenty of reasons for it. But the away form is starting to become a worry, for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Well.. If we outplay Tottenham in the next game, does that mean we were actually not so tired for this one after all? We were exhausted against PSG but outplayed Man Utd for 80 minutes 5 days later. How did that happen? It's a little confusing for me, we're exhausted every away game and in the home games our players are not exhausted all of a sudden.

Just use your eyes. If the energy's not there, is it because the most hard working Newcastle team we've ever seen are being lazy, or are they knackered?

I don't really get this '2+2 should equal 4, so why is it 5?' way of thinking really. This team has more than earned the right for us to accept that what we're seeing when there's a lack of energy is for an honest reason.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Ofcourse. I added that before you replied. But how are we still so dominant at home when all our players are exhausted?

Teams in general do better at home. Its all round the world and across sports.

Well we were more fatigued tonight because of the games which preceded it. :lol: And we'll be tireder still on Sunday, which is going to be miserable (hope everyone is prepared...) And if the same 11 face Milan, the levels won't be the same as they were in the previous home game ten days prior...

They're just gonna get more and more knackered. 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Fullback is literally the only position at the moment where he doesn’t have to. I know Krafth and Hall are significant steps down, and the benefit of hindsight and all that, but what is the point of having players available who can step in when others are clearly knackered, and not using them?! 

He obviously doesn't think Hall is ready. The way things have gone so far, I'll back his judgement.