Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Good half all things considered.

Their offside goal kind of summed it up for me, they got that chance from us being in a great position but just giving them the ball back and then we're exposed. There were so many times that with the right ball we were in, but we were too sloppy.

A 2nd, at least, will be needed imo so hopefully we sort that out because they'll surely get back into it if it stays 1-0 too long.

Ref's shit as well, giving us nothing, them everything, and they should be down to 10. Colwill did that knowing there was no VAR as well.

2 minutes ago, Collage said:

Broja was clearly offside there but don’t think it was given?

It was. You could see the referee saying it was offside with his hand in the background. The flag also went up as soon as Dubs saved it.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Concerned about the official, he’s not seeing obvious things. They should be at least a man down.

I feel that too many refs have become so used to having VAR around to pick up on stuff that they miss a load of stuff when VAR isn't used because they subconsciously think that someone's going to check it if they miss something important.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

It is so nice not having every decision scrutinised by VAR.  It is much more enjoyable.

Yes and no. Potentially be playing 9 men, definitely 10 you’d hope, with VAR

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Ref's shit as well, giving us nothing, them everything, and they should be down to 10. Colwill did that knowing there was no VAR as well.

Surely though that would have been a 2nd red, as they could have been down to 10 men straight from kick off.

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

It fucking baffles me people want rid of VAR, despite it's high profile errors it is so much fucking better than having no VAR.

Except the game is so much better to watch and far more enjoyable.. 

Which is the whole point of the sport in the first place

The change in our mentality was instant after the goal. Looks like a deliberate move to "play defence" to save energy. If we manage to hold on I think it'll be a point in the second half where the team will be confident they can last the rest of the half at a higher tempo and we'll nick a 2nd in the 80-90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

It fucking baffles me people want rid of VAR, despite it's high profile errors it is so much fucking better than having no VAR.

VAR kills the flow of the game and adds very little.