Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Just now, midds said:

I'm not blaming Howe at all, he's doing a remarkable job under massive stresses but to get so close so often and throw it away yet again is infuriating. I know I'm venting but we're so close to being very good but we still can't see tight games out like tonight. A top team wins that 1-0 and moves on - we aren't there yet and it's a mentality issue imo. 

I just disagree. It's the inability to bring on players to change a game at all on top of a decimated first XI going through a grueling amount of tough games.

1 minute ago, midds said:

I'm not blaming Howe at all, he's doing a remarkable job under massive stresses but to get so close so often and throw it away yet again is infuriating. I know I'm venting but we're so close to being very good but we still can't see tight games out like tonight. A top team wins that 1-0 and moves on - we aren't there yet and it's a mentality issue imo. 

It's a squad depth, injury and fatigue issue imo

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yet it came. Trippier or any player shitting his kegs and making a mistake is always one of the many things that are likely to happen when you're inviting pressure for an entire half. Honestly can't believe anyone watched that half and thought 'this is fine/sustainable.'

I don't know how else we approach things? The couple of times we tried to attack, we had no legs to do anything. The few times we tried to press, they passed around us with ease. We sat back Rafa style and we were 2 minutes from it working. I don't know why it wasn't sustainable? They barely laid a glove on us the way we played. 

1 minute ago, hakka said:

I didn't think it was sustainable, but it almost was. Not sure what people are expecting Eddie to do with this first XI different second half? Certainly couldn't do a Chelase and make some quality subs.

It's not necessarily a criticism of Howe,  I thought key performances from Trippier (obviously) and Wilson were really poor. First half we could have been in so many times but played it too short, lost it, or hit it too hard. Those are performance issues from the players for me.

If it was needs must in the 2nd half, which it looked like, 1-0 is ridiculously perilous so Wilson needed to make it stick when we got it and he was so so poor.

The thing is with sitting back, you still need an outlet. 

Tonight we had Ritchie who is finished. A knackered Almiron and Wilson who can't really play more than an hour. I know it's the same old story but if we were able to make changes, we'd see that game out. We couldn't stretch them or hit them on the break. Even so, it was an individual error that cost us.

Howe's hands are largely tied at the minute. 

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

It wasn't obvious which way Redknapp was leaning on that issue and as he's an unmitigated fool, I choose to think he's wrong about everything 

Yeah he's just went and said it's a yellow so I retract my statement and he's a complete moron.

Just now, hakka said:

I just disagree. It's the inability to bring on players to change a game at all on top of a decimated first XI going through a grueling amount of tough games.

That's part of it absolutely, I know we're down to the bare bones and his hand are tied, I accept that 100%. But at some point you need to rely on the players to get over the line and see it through. It's a club issue as we've never had a squad full of 'winners' before. A squad that can cope mentally and physically with what is needed in order to shut games down like we've seen from the likes of Dortmund this season. They knew exactly what to do to see out 2 wins from 2 against us because they had that nous and experience that we're lacking in the squad. It'll come in time I'm sure but right now we've become soft as shit again. 2 wins away all season and it's nearly Christmas

Both can be true. Injuries have fucked us, but also i dont think Eddie has used the squad as well as he maybe could. I just dont get it why Hall and Dummett were not good enough to play some minutes this round? What was the point of totally exhausted Miggy being there at the end for example? Last sub was made at 52 mins, and we all know how tired the team must be. 

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

We had a winger on the bench. You were seemingly happy Ritchie came on instead.

What are you talking about you utter parody? :lol: I literally said "Hall for Gordon has to be the sub"

Richie was fine in the end for what he was asked to do, but can't run and can't press so didn't help relieve any pressure 

Really peeved with Almiron for not taking the ball to the corner flag in the 90th minute too. Win a few BS corners and it's done. [emoji38] So daft shooting from that angle.

Some fundamental misunderstandings around strategy. You're playing against the clock. You're playing against your own finite reserves. The more they are in your box the more scope there is for fuckery.

22 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Also, Matt Ritchie is a complete waste of a shirt. He can barely run man. There's no point in putting him on unless it's a total last resort.

At what point would you say we are at last resort? :)

We look like we're running over the trenches the last few weeks. Players are playing too many games and we have bugger all options.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't know how else we approach things? The couple of times we tried to attack, we had no legs to do anything. The few times we tried to press, they passed around us with ease. We sat back Rafa style and we were 2 minutes from it working. I don't know why it wasn't sustainable? They barely laid a glove on us the way we played. 

That's not true though, on the few occasions we pressed, we won the ball back or knocked it out of play, they were shaky on the ball. When we attacked in the first half it was on the break and we were a poor ball away from getting in at least 3 times.

Basically I think we suffered from poor performances and then when we reverted to soaking up pressure it never looked solid.

I don't think you can remove potential mistakes from your own tired players from the things that can happen when you play like that, it's just one of the many things that can happen. And it did, if it wasn't that it, then on another night it's Broja or Sterling or whoever  finishing when they should have.

6 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

You sit back like that and mistakes will happen. Not sure on why our mentality is that way playing away - obviously injuries haven’t helped and I know that always gets said, but injuries haven’t helped. They haven’t. The injuries we’ve had. 

It's tough to press high after playing 3 games a week since September with 13 players.

Today was a shocker but it's only going to get better, I'd say. Eddie is the last guy to sit back, but damned if he does right now...

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ugh just utterly fucked off by the lot of it.

Seriously want the season to end asap.

Exiting the two competitions in the way that we have - i.e. an injury time injustice and an injury time self-destruction - has been incredibly painful. But there is a glass-half-full take here and it's that the squad is going to get what it so desperately needs: a chance to breathe. 

12.08-26.12: 28 games in 137 days

27.12-19.05: 20 games in 145 days (minimum, and bearing in mind the FA Cup doesn't congest the schedule in the same way Europe does).

I think we can look forward to a better half of the season. Regain fitness, recruit in January, crack at the cup, crack at the European places. It'll be good. :thup:

10 minutes ago, midds said:

That's part of it absolutely, I know we're down to the bare bones and his hand are tied, I accept that 100%. But at some point you need to rely on the players to get over the line and see it through. It's a club issue as we've never had a squad full of 'winners' before. A squad that can cope mentally and physically with what is needed in order to shut games down like we've seen from the likes of Dortmund this season. They knew exactly what to do to see out 2 wins from 2 against us because they had that nous and experience that we're lacking in the squad. It'll come in time I'm sure but right now we've become soft as shit again. 2 wins away all season and it's nearly Christmas

Dortmund had the extra bodies and ability to freshen up from the bench mostly.