Luton Town 1-0 Newcastle United (23/12/23)

Yorkie

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

I mean, the summers business was exactly about creating a squad able to compete on all fronts. Howe was talking about having 2 pretty equal teams IIRC.

The amount of (and severity of) injuries has been the big problem, and the inability to deal with such a crisis. Lewis Hall, signed in the summer, is sat there unused for example.

What is to blame for the injuries is up for debate.

When everyone is fit we will have numbers, but really, we would still lack quality in key areas.

When we're short we don't just suffer from fatigue, but also a significant drop off in quality.

15 minutes ago, Erikse said:

There was a time earlier in the season when some of us got told that we were looking too much into the away form. I wonder if that still applies.

Earlier on the season, people were reading into it too much, but performances have continued to decline since then. Bournemouth onward has been really poor.

Well done though, you must be buzzing.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

When everyone is fit we will have numbers, but really, we would still lack quality in key areas.

When we're short we don't just suffer from fatigue, but also a significant drop off in quality.

I do agree we definitely lack quality in key areas and that needs addressing over the next 2 windows.

But any club would be in trouble with so many injuries, and we also need to find a way of ensuring that is not repeated next season. Whether that's adjusting the intensity we play at, improving the medical department, getting less injury-prone players in the squad, or simply hoping for better luck. I'd hope it's not the last option tbh [emoji38]

18 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Thankfully the fatigue isn’t affecting us at home.  

Still not convinced we'd have beaten Fulham without the man advantage.

Dortmund and Milan have beaten us at SJP in recent weeks too. 

I know you were being facetious and while our away form is much worse than it should be, our home form doesn't have any right to be as good as it is considering the circumstances. Clearly confidence or a lack of is feeding into both too.

13 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Still trying to wrap my head around that phantom offside call on Isak 

Wilson free header and the Isak "offside" get us a couple goals and it's a completely different story.

However, still can't excuse what we saw today. Truly awful.

3 hours ago, M1tche said:

We need a better LB, hasn't stopped any crosses coming in and the move always slows down or breaks down when it gets to Burn

Burn was still superior to Trippier.

53 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Still not convinced we'd have beaten Fulham without the man advantage.

Dortmund and Milan have beaten us at SJP in recent weeks too. 

I know you were being facetious and while our away form is much worse than it should be, our home form doesn't have any right to be as good as it is considering the circumstances. Clearly confidence or a lack of is feeding into both too.

I do think that there is an issue away from home beyond that - we’re set up to be passive and in what is a 4-5-1.  Fatigue and injuries play their part, though there is a tactical issue too.  We suffer inertia away - which means we look toothless against shit teams, and are completely dominated by good ones.  Getting a full and fit squad back will help, of course, but I don’t think it’s as simple as confidence and fitness 

44 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Still trying to wrap my head around that phantom offside call on Isak 

Phantom because you thought it was onside?

Looked really close I thought on my grainy stream, is there a still image anywhere?

Edited by joeyt

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I do think that there is an issue away from home beyond that - we’re set up to be passive and in what is a 4-5-1.  Fatigue and injuries play their part, though there is a tactical issue too.  We suffer inertia away - which means we look toothless against shit teams, and are completely dominated by good ones.  Getting a full and fit squad back will help, of course, but I don’t think it’s as simple as confidence and fitness 

You may well be right, but they've definetly exacerbated any existing problems. Fatigue has somewhat nullified our press, which is our primary weapon. Whether we should have a more effective plan B is of course a different argument.

Edited by The Prophet

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Looked really close I thought on my grainy stream, is there a still image anywhere?

Looked off when I saw it - though I’m aware that one of the posters on here mentioned that the defender potentially plays the ball.  When the initial ball is played it isn’t contestable that Isak is off - his shoulder is comfortably forward of the last defender. 

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

to be able to say that was offside by the linesman + the shite lines drawn that didn’t prove it any clearer absolutely grinds my gears. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

You may well be right, but they've definetly exacerbated any existing problems. Fatigue has somewhat nullified our press, which is our primary weapon. Whether we should have a more effective plan B is of course a different argument.

Definitely.  It’s the last sentence which is the area we need to fix - I don’t think a high intensity press can be used if you’re ultimately wanting to play 50+ game seasons like we will be wanting to - so we will need to change it up.  Buying better players will of course help with that.

All just my own view of course - I’m under no doubt Howe will know better

Are Parkinson, Diallo and Ndiweni that bad that they can't even get on the bench in front of Alex Murphy even when we've got a million defenders on the bench?

I can't see a situation where Murphy would have played

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Are Parkinson, Diallo and Ndiweni that bad that they can't even get on the bench in front of Alex Murphy even when we've got a million defenders on the bench?

I can't see a situation where Murphy would have played

Sadly yeah. Nowhere near 1st team quality. 

Will try not to read any comments on here for the next few days as I don't see much value in doing so as great as this place is, just hear to say: 

- Thank you Eddie Howe 

- Thank you Jason Tindall 

- Thank you to all the players and staff 

I couldn't be more grateful for having my club back. We've been battered and bruised in recent weeks but these things happen, as we do every fucking time, WE WILL GO AGAIN! You can't question anyone's effort. commitment, or desire for the cause. I've never felt more connected or prouder of the group then the current crop we have so I've got no complaints.