Luton Town 1-0 Newcastle United (23/12/23)

Yorkie

15 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Will try not to read any comments on here for the next few days as I don't see much value in doing so as great as this place is, just hear to say: 

- Thank you Eddie Howe 

- Thank you Jason Tindall 

- Thank you to all the players and staff 

I couldn't be more grateful for having my club back. We've been battered and bruised in recent weeks but these things happen, as we do every fucking time, WE WILL GO AGAIN! You can't question anyone's effort. commitment, or desire for the cause. I've never felt more connected or prouder of the group then the current crop we have so I've got no complaints.

IMG_0143.gif.dc1ab3ffaf283a910fe10fd6c7d5650a.gif

United! The futures bright, the futures black and white! 

:indi:

26 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

IMG_0143.gif.dc1ab3ffaf283a910fe10fd6c7d5650a.gif

United! The futures bright, the futures black and white! 

:indi:

Paulo, the most optimistic Geordie there is.

I'm a yank thousands of miles away but I'm with you!

13 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Probably why we need a natural number 6 for the away games.

I think its a combination of things. Our game is based on physical fitness, pressing, pace and intensity. Due to the volume of game and injuries, our players are tired and carrying niggles and the game plan doesn't hold up when they cant be at 100% physically. We need a plan B where we keep possession and limit energy usage. But to do this we need some more technical players. 

1 hour ago, aussiemag said:

I think its a combination of things. Our game is based on physical fitness, pressing, pace and intensity. Due to the volume of game and injuries, our players are tired and carrying niggles and the game plan doesn't hold up when they cant be at 100% physically. We need a plan B where we keep possession and limit energy usage. But to do this we need some more technical players. 

We’re also far too open in midfield, opposition players just strolling through acres of space. I think the whole side away from home has lost its edge a bit, teams aren’t afraid of us - because they know we’ve got such limited options at the moment that we can’t play with the same intensity. 

The one positive, Dubravk looked much sharper.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, aussiemag said:

This is it, simple really. Anyone booting off needs to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Take another step back off the edge of that cliff if you still don't get it.

6 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

This is it, simple really. Anyone booting off needs to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Take another step back off the edge of that cliff if you still don't get it.

It's been missing from day one away from home. That intensity and press is readily available for home games. 

7 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Our progression after the takeover was always going to have some sticky patches, it was never going to be a linear upward curve. I’m sure Howe accepts there’s probably things they could’ve done better, it’s all a learning experience as we progress. I mean I was with some mates in London last night who support London teams and they were saying how well they thought we’d done given just how many players are out. But Howe is going to have to get us back on track away from home.  Injuries have killed us this first half of the season and that has definitely affected our away form. 

Might add our lack of rotation on the wings means we’re not stretching teams away from home and don’t carry as much of a threat. Teams are pushing up more against us. We’re weak in the middle of the park too, too easy to play against away from home for whatever reason. 

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Might add our lack of rotation on the wings means we’re not stretching teams away from home and don’t carry as much of a threat. Teams are pushing up more against us. We’re weak in the middle of the park too, too easy to play against away from home for whatever reason

I often find, even when we are at full strength. Our midfield 3 is can be too flat or a bit disjointed. Meaning in 1-2 passes. Teams get in behind our midfield and into a 30-40 yard gap between them and the defence. 

Bruno starts deep and then has licence to roam. The 8s outside are usually very wide and often high. Often seems like they are regularly caught in a horizontal line together high up the pitch, as well. 

I do wonder if at times, having a recognised DM might help. But then Howe has never really suggested he’s going to play that way here. 

We have also missed Botman’s ability to step out from the back and play as an auxiliary midfielder. Plus we haven’t had a fully fit Joelinton many times this season. So hoping both of these back will help. 

In a hypothetical world, with a fully fit and available squad, what would our best starting XI be right now?

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Livra

Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali

Gordon Isak Barnes

That’s 7 players who didn’t start yesterday like.

2 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Without seeing the match, is it that at times this season we’ve needed someone like Joelinton away from home just to break things up a bit?

He would've made a big difference yesterday.

It was a take it on the chin game. It's been a ridiculously tough run that really, we're coming through better than most would have imagined given the injuries and fixtures piling up. Another game where pre-match I'm looking at the subs before the first 11, hoping someones back.

2 hours ago, AJ9 said:

In a hypothetical world, with a fully fit and available squad, what would our best starting XI be right now?

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Livra

Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali

Gordon Isak Barnes

That’s 7 players who didn’t start yesterday like.

Tonali right, Bruno middle, Joelinton left.

Almiron for Barnes & switch side with Gordon.

Imo.

That's still over half the team not starting so point is valid. Not having Barnes over Almiron though. He did well in the opening game and did f all after that until he got injured. He has to prove himself to warrant being preferred over Almiron.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Tonali right, Bruno middle, Joelinton left.

Almiron for Barnes & switch side with Gordon.

Imo.

That's still over half the team not starting so point is valid. Not having Barnes over Almiron though. He did well in the opening game and did f all after that until he got injured. He has to prove himself to warrant being preferred over Almiron.

No way should Almiron be getting in ahead of Barnes, Barnes left, Gordon right is 100% our best option if everyone's fit.

Is it the lack of a plan B, or is it simply about personnel? The top sides don't dominate everyone away but they do have a strong bench and match winners who can pinch tight games. Man City aside (because they almost always dominate), you'll see Liverpool, Arsenal etc have a bad day but then a Trossard or a Diaz will get then a result. It's not that they drastically switched style of play and then dominated the game, but they can nick a result when they're not playing well. How many times down the years have we given those types of teams a hard game at SJP and been undone by a moment of brilliance?

Last season we were able to pinch points away when we weren't playing well because we had a fully fit and rotated Isak and Wilson. Now the extra games and injuries have exposed our lack of depth, so I don't think it's fair to compare Howe to managers who have more resources to call on to 'change a game'. If there's a fair criticism, it would be that he should have played more of the kids at Everton for example, as some had suggested, because it was the only way to manage the squad through December. The failure to do that has had major repercussions. 

9 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Liverpool were very much like us last season and came home with a wet sail once the injuries and fixture congestion eased up. The top 6 is still very much in our reach which is a good season. Success isn't going to be linear. 

Aye. 

But there are some noticeable differences. 

That team was at the end of its cycle. A aging midfield in particular. When they were out of all cups and had injuries back - they relied on strong fire power to fire them up the league. 

The prevailing thought was they needed an entire new midfield. And they’ve done just that - buying 3-4 new central midfielders. 

5 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Is it the lack of a plan B, or is it simply about personnel? The top sides don't dominate everyone away but they do have a strong bench and match winners who can pinch tight games. Man City aside (because they almost always dominate), you'll see Liverpool, Arsenal etc have a bad day but then a Trossard or a Diaz will get then a result. It's not that they drastically switched style of play and then dominated the game, but they can nick a result when they're not playing well. How many times down the years have we given those types of teams a hard game at SJP and been undone by a moment of brilliance?

Last season we were able to pinch points away when we weren't playing well because we had a fully fit and rotated Isak and Wilson. Now the extra games and injuries have exposed our lack of depth, so I don't think it's fair to compare Howe to managers who have more resources to call on to 'change a game'. If there's a fair criticism, it would be that he should have played more of the kids at Everton for example, as some had suggested, because it was the only way to manage the squad through December. The failure to do that has had major repercussions. 

Arsenal in particular look really good off the ball defensively. Quite often they just need a goal to win and they can rely on talent and options in forward areas to get it. 

Where it’s easy to get onto our back 4. So we look bad defensively and offensively. Earlier in the season we were clinical away from home but that’s gone recently too. 

Definitely we pick up more points with a fully fit squad. But there are definitely systemic issues at hand too.