Liverpool vs. Newcastle United: 1/1/24 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

51 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Genuinely think we’re gonna win this now. Botman, Joelinton back fit. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Gordon and Isak dust these scruffs. 

Nice! Today, for no apparent reason I am channelling quotes from one of Newcastle’s finest Admiral ‘Cuddy’ Collingwood (born and raised on The Side) and his mate Nelson:

Tomorrow, Newcastle expects that every man will do his duty… . See how that noble fellow Howe takes his side into action!”

“Now, my Tyneside Tars, let us do something today which the world may talk of hereafter… Liverpool will knaa which cuddy kicked ‘em!” 

(Ok, not as visually appealing as an Aniston talisman). 

5 hours ago, WinstonFC said:

Football medicine studies from 10 years ago show that fatigue takes 48-72 hours to return to baseline levels. With the advancement of football medicine/training methods since then, fatigue shouldn't be an issue considering the gap between our last game will be 96-120 hours. The only issue we have as stated by posters above is players playing with injuries.

Is that not from 1 match?

When you play every 3 days for 8 weeks. You’re not going to be back out 100% with 5 days off.  

I’ve done some amateur weightlifting to a fairly high standard. Not anywhere like a professional football player but I assume fatigue works in the same way no matter the sport. If I’m highly fatigued from from 12 weeks of intense training. Where the fatigue has had a detrimental impact on my performance for 4 weeks straight, I would need more than 5 days to get back to close to baseline fitness. 

I assume footballers often play with a level a relatively high level of fatigue though. So relative lack of fatigue is more important than absolute fatigue. 

2 hours ago, Civetty said:

Have a positive feeling about this one. Our players finally got some rest. We'll batter them.

I said after the loss against 10 men I was no longer going to put any expectations on us to beat Liverpool. I felt we owed them a hiding after we were robbed at Anfield last season, but we keep finding ways to let them take everything. I hope the players find something in them to get a result but not fair to expect anything given the circumstances.

2022/23 Lost 1-2 Isak
2021/22 Lost 1-3 Shelvey
2020/21 Drew 1-1 Willock
2019/20 Lost 1-3 Willems
2018/19 Lost 0-4
2017/18 Lost 0-2
2015/16 Drew 2-2 Cisse, Colback
2014/15 Lost 0-2
2013/14 Lost 1-2 og(Skrtel)
2012/13 Drew 1-1 Cabaye
2011/12 Lost 1-3 og(Agger)
2010/11 Lost 0-3
2008/09 Lost 0-3
2007/08 Lost 0-3
2006/07 Lost 0-2
2005/06 Lost 0-2
2004/05 Lost 1-3 Kluivert
2003/04 Drew 1-1 Ameobi
2003/04 Lost 1-2 Robert (FAC)
2002/03 Drew 2-2 Speed, Shearer
2001/02 Lost 0-3
2000/01 Lost 0-3
1999/00 Lost 1-2 Shearer
1998/99 Lost 2-4 Solano, Andersson
1997/98 Lost 0-1
1996/97 Lost 3-4 Gillespie, Asprilla, Barton
1995/96 Lost 3-4 Ferdinand, Ginola, Asprilla
1995/96 Won 1-0 Watson (LC)
1994/95 Lost 0-2
1993/94 Won 2-0 Lee, Cole

Edited by joeyt

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Is that not from 1 match?

When you play every 3 days for 8 weeks. You’re not going to be back out 100% with 5 days off.  

I’ve done some amateur weightlifting to a fairly high standard. Not anywhere like a professional football player but I assume fatigue works in the same way no matter the sport. If I’m highly fatigued from from 12 weeks of intense training. Where the fatigue has had a detrimental impact on my performance for 4 weeks straight, I would need more than 5 days to get back to close to baseline fitness. 

I assume footballers often play with a level a relatively high level of fatigue though. So relative lack of fatigue is more important than absolute fatigue. 

I’d read the same recently - medical science reckons three days for recovery from serious fatigue.

edit: creatine can take up to 120 hours to be fully replaced, and full sprint performance 96 hours after a game.  Which does explain how the likes of Gordon and Almiron were able to play but not regain their normal sprint capabilities.  The team have had ample rest time to recover - physical fatigue should not be an issue.  Mental fatigue - not sure. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’d read the same recently - medical science reckons three days for recovery from serious fatigue.

edit: creatine can take up to 120 hours to be fully replaced, and full sprint performance 96 hours after a game.  Which does explain how the likes of Gordon and Almiron were able to play but not regain their normal sprint capabilities.  The team have had ample rest time to recover - physical fatigue should not be an issue.  Mental fatigue - not sure. 

But that’s fatigue from 1 fatiguing event. What about a long series of fatiguing events? Again, using the bodybuilding example - large muscles like the hamstrings can take 2-3 days to return from fatigue. So you can only typically train them hard 2 or 3 times a week optimally. Assuming you have a full routine 4-6 days. You can’t just keep rotating body parts endlessly. Your CNS begins to fatigue. And after some amount of time, the whole system fatigues and you can’t keep up performance. That type of systemic fatigue takes longer than 3 days to recover from. 
Hope that makes sense. 

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But that’s fatigue from 1 fatiguing event. What about a long series of fatiguing events? Again, using the bodybuilding example - large muscles like the hamstrings can take 2-3 days to return from fatigue. So you can only typically train them hard 2 or 3 times a week optimally. Assuming you have a full routine 4-6 days. You can’t just keep rotating body parts endlessly. Your CNS begins to fatigue. And after some amount of time, the whole system fatigues and you can’t keep up performance. That type of systemic fatigue takes longer than 3 days to recover from. 
Hope that makes sense. 

It does - the papers I read related to football specifically.  I’m absolutely not a sports scientist mind - no idea if what I read is accepted generally :) 

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Champions Leagues gigs can be the hardest. 

Agreed, especially when you’re chasing shadows as we did a few times - especially vs PSG.  I think the PSG and Chelsea games cattle-trucked us physically- we couldn’t keep hold of the ball for much more than a few seconds (much of this was our own making - there was some seriously poor play in those games by us).  Dortmund away was similar too.  The games were all a case of *chase for two minutes - win ball back - fail to make second pass or stupidly try to run with the ball - lose possession - chase for two minutes*.  It was just really poor game management.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed, especially when you’re chasing shadows as we did a few times - especially vs PSG.  I think the PSG and Chelsea games cattle-trucked us physically- we couldn’t keep hold of the ball for much more than a few seconds (much of this was our own making - there was some seriously poor play in those games by us).  Dortmund away was similar too.  The games were all a case of *chase for two minutes - win ball back - fail to make second pass or stupidly try to run with the ball - lose possession - chase for two minutes*.  It was just really poor game management.  

Ah man. It’s NYE. I was just posting Office quotes again!

Deeply pessimistic; just grateful that my Liverpool-supporting father-in-law has left prior to this. I snipped at him for the first (and last :lol:) time during the Forest game when he "Go on"d a Forest breakaway at 1-3. :blush:

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Well I had no idea you were down under. Hoy another shrimp on the Barbie!

Bonza cobber, and aaal that.

I’ll get the lingo at some point - probably best if I stop using 80s Fosters and Castlemaine ads as a primer; beer commercials are not surrogate Rosetta stones. 

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Bonza cobber, and aaal that.

I’ll get the lingo at some point - probably best if I stop using 80s Fosters and Castlemaine ads as a primer; beer commercials are not surrogate Rosetta stones. 

just start casually dropping in to the locals that Castlemaine XXXX was named XXXX as Aussies couldn’t spell beer.