Liverpool vs. Newcastle United: 1/1/24 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

I don't know if it's because I feel fairly nervous about this game already, but I have had the odd thought today if the lads will be nervous given what we are experiencing at the moment and probably a decrease in confidence within the group. Just makes me think that the game on Monday could be a very nervy performance from us, where as Liverpool have looked pretty decent of late in the games I have seen them play.

4 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I don't know if it's because I feel fairly nervous about this game already, but I have had the odd thought today if the lads will be nervous given what we are experiencing at the moment and probably a decrease in confidence within the group. Just makes me think that the game on Monday could be a very nervy performance from us, where as Liverpool have looked pretty decent of late in the games I have seen them play.

We sometimes rise to the occasion in these games but because of the factors you raise above I think we’ll get our arses handed to us. 

Inspired by West Ham [emoji38]

We'll have had a better rest for this and there's not much expectation going into it. Good that someone like Miggy only played 55 mins against Forest - he is more useful in games like this if he's in good condition to do the leg work as there'll be inevitable pressure (and space to break into). Joelinton hopefully in good shape to start and we may even have another body on the bench back for it.

There's the mental aspect too - the players know the worst of the fixture congestion is over now and the requirement to hyper-manage minutes is lessened. We're not in emptying tanks territory obvs but better than before.

I don't really expect anything other than a defeat really but a performance to build on is an absolute must after Forest. 

Expecting Joelinton and Tino to start.

I foresee us losing this match in the most upsetting way possible, like the last game at SJP.

I doubt it will be a straight incident-free 5-0 or the like.

What I imagine is more like a crappy Szobo dive to get Bruno sent off, followed by some other shite, maybe a goalkeeping error, and a couple more on the counter.

The result will then be presented as a glorious win by Liverpool FC who represent all that is wonderful about football.

Have to expect to be murdered here. Would love to see Howe change his habits and park the bus. If we play like we normally do it's going to be carnage. Unless the extra couple of days of rest make the difference?

2 hours ago, 80 said:

Have to expect to be murdered here. Would love to see Howe change his habits and park the bus. If we play like we normally do it's going to be carnage. Unless the extra couple of days of rest make the difference?

The rest can't hurt, with the injuries the team has been crushed by the fixture congestion of all the competitions. Glad to see some players finally come back. I can see Liverpool running us straight off the pitch though. That said, football is a funny old game.

Can't remember if I posted in this thread earlier today, but I think we'll give Liverpool a significantly harder match than they're anticipating. Whether that translates to points or not I can't say, but I predict Klopp being a malignant tumor on the sidelines. Just hope he doesn't get the satisfaction of going into full blown cancer mode if Liverpool turns it in their favor towards the end of the game.

2 hours ago, Mattoon said:

No one expects it, Liverpool will turn up thinking they've already won just by being Liverpool at Anfield and we'll either rob them or walk away with a 0-0 draw. 

Your incredibly naive if you actually think they'll be like this.  Their home record is very good.

Edited by El Prontonise

It's an absolutely cursed fixture, like :lol: At least this time it should just be a routine loss and not the absolutely sickening ways we've lost the last few. 

Hoping I'm still fucked from the night before and forget it's on. 

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Proper fatigue takes more than 5 days to recover from. Bruno, Gordon, Almiron will all be still in it.  

6 days. Our longest break in ages, possibly since the very start of the season if you don't count the international breaks. They might still be a bit tired though, just because the level of fatigue was so high.

Edited by Erikse

I don't see anything else other than a loss here, and I'd probably say that even if we were on a fairly decent run of form. 

They're unbeaten in 12, picked up 14 points out of the last 18, one of three teams undefeated at home all season. And they're twats. 

As for us... let's just hope it's not a thrashing. Will gladly eat every single one of these words if we do something remarkable though! 

I had been putting the whole fatigue thing down to the injuries we had but we were pretty much full strength when we played these and we got knackered at around 70 mins. They took full advantage.

At the current state of the squad, we’ll be toast by the 35 minute mark.