sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

16 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I can’t get my head around when we stopped singing the Blaydon Races, it’s like the scousers not singing YNWA or Man City Blue Moon.

Surely we can’t be losing our identity already we haven’t even won owt, or become anywhere near a global club yet. 

Its fucking tragic like, could even hear the mackems giving it the old constant Haway The Lads yesterday, we can’t even muster that these days.

Yep, you watch the match cam and it’s the same generic united song.

Blaydon Races, boot boys, etc seem to have disappeared 

Just now, Thomson Mouse said:

Yep, you watch the match cam and it’s the same generic united song.

Blaydon Races, boot boys, etc seem to have disappeared 

Even that's got the million mph treatment that befell the Blaydon Races. It's awful n'all. "We all know how to fight." :anguish:

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Even that's got the million mph treatment that befell the Blaydon Races. It's awful n'all. "We all know how to fight." :anguish:

I’m 48 and the main team I remember singing that song were Manure.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the first one mate - I don’t think there is a trail from one to the next.  👍

It’s reasonable point. The Yeomen of Newcastle shafted South Shileds as it was a massive threat because of where it is situated. There’s no huge hatred of Newcastle because of that.

I think it’s ok to say yo could loop the Jacobite stuff in then jus the general economic competitiveness of the two places.

17 hours ago, David Edgar said:

The local lads giggling to themselves as they walk through the Sunderland mob screaming "scum, scum, scum" :lol: 

It’s the shit eating grin on Tindalls face that made me laugh

Got to admit I was a nervous wreck until our pen. Yes I know, different leagues and all that but we've seen us fail to turn up against lower league sides so often over the years and even at 2 up I'm  thinking they get one back, crowd get a lift and who knows? We've been good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory this season. Suppose I'm just an NUFC pessimist but many decades have made me that way. Couldn't have went any better as it turned out. We were stronger, cleverer. Were knicking the ball from the off. We really put them in their place and showed them how far behind us they are. I'd be happy to never play them again and let this hang over them. I keep thinking I don't care as much as I once did but it was as if life depended on it on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Surely it’s in reference to the team? Not the fans…

Whos that team they call United?
Who’s that team we all adore?
Well they play in B&W and they all know how to fight…

We’ll support you ever more.

Unless they’ve changed the words which wouldn’t surprise me changing “they” to “we” stops it from making sense 😆

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Unless they’ve changed the words which wouldn’t surprise me changing “they” to “we” stops it from making sense 😆

I guess that's the bit which is sung turbofast so it's all slurred anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Got to admit I was a nervous wreck until our pen. Yes I know, different leagues and all that but we've seen us fail to turn up against lower league sides so often over the years and even at 2 up I'm  thinking they get one back, crowd get a lift and who knows? We've been good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory this season. Suppose I'm just an NUFC pessimist but many decades have made me that way. Couldn't have went any better as it turned out. We were stronger, cleverer. Were knicking the ball from the off. We really put them in their place and showed them how far behind us they are. I'd be happy to never play them again and let this hang over them. I keep thinking I don't care as much as I once did but it was as if life depended on it on Saturday.

That's exactly how it played out for me. I only started to relax with about 5 mins to go and the penalty sealed it. If they had pulled one back at 2-0 with 15 mins to go the game might have taken a different trajectory.

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

According to fotmob, they had 4 touches, whereas we had 28

And the first of which was in the 73rd minute, and the other three where when that Ba went on that weird dribble towards the end.

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I guess that's the bit which is sung turbofast so it's all slurred anyway. 

Like most of our songs, ruined by the Scatman John tribute. Too much nose candy in the away end I think

22 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

According to fotmob, they had 4 touches, whereas we had 28

17 minutes ago, 54 said:

And the first of which was in the 73rd minute, and the other three where when that Ba went on that weird dribble towards the end.

I knew it wasn't many. I was expecting more considering they play some of the best football in Europe and could mix it with CL regulars like Milan, PSG etc.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

That's exactly how it played out for me. I only started to relax with about 5 mins to go and the penalty sealed it. If they had pulled one back at 2-0 with 15 mins to go the game might have taken a different trajectory.

i mentioned it in the Dubs thread - if he hadnt kept those shots out, we may have struggled without joelinton in midfiled. was very open in there for a while.

What would the "head to head" be if you gave two wins to the team who was in the higher division? I'm guessing it'd still be tight but given they had a bit of a head start on us just with them being formed before we were...

Like us being only 1 ahead seems a bit shit since we've been way ahead of them for 6 years now and we've not had a chance to beat them.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

It’s definitely “we”. Remember it’s from a different era when pagga was unfortunately part and parcel of attending football. 

The greatest pity though is that we again don’t sing the whole song. The verses referencing Joe Harvey (the last manager to actually win a bloody cup, I’m not having the intertoto whatever UEFA say) and beating Spaniards by the score. 

11 minutes ago, huss9 said:

i mentioned it in the Dubs thread - if he hadnt kept those shots out, we may have struggled without joelinton in midfiled. was very open in there for a while.

Could have been  3 nowt up at half time mind!

2 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

It’s definitely “we”. Remember it’s from a different era when pagga was unfortunately part and parcel of attending football. 

The greatest pity though is that we again don’t sing the whole song. The verses referencing Joe Harvey (the last manager to actually win a bloody cup, I’m not having the intertoto whatever UEFA say) and beating Spaniards by the score. 

The corner still sings the bring on ya hearts ya hibs ya celtic etc verse like

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

The corner still sings the bring on ya hearts ya hibs ya celtic etc verse like

Good lads! I'm in the middle of the Gallowgate but I think tis shows we just need more standing areas to get the whole ground going.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What would the "head to head" be if you gave two wins to the team who was in the higher division? I'm guessing it'd still be tight but given they had a bit of a head start on us just with them being formed before we were...

Like us being only 1 ahead seems a bit shit since we've been way ahead of them for 6 years now and we've not had a chance to beat them.

That sounds like a future UEFA format for something.

Not quite sure what that means but we've been in the topflight more despite the headstart and then you've got their 5years in the third tier where we were two divisions ahead