sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

Listen, I am no soopa fan or anything. Far from it. I've been following the team since the mid 90's, had a season ticket for nearly 15 years. Been to maybe 30 away games before I gave up when Rafa left as I could take no more. So I am speaking from a base of perhaps being a slightly more than average fan. One thing I will say is that I don't need to be asked twice to sing my heart out home or away. 

On saturday I watched the match in the Black Garter (don't ask! :lol:) with six mates. Most of them better fans than me. In years gone by at least half of them would have been in that away end. But this year they're not, they are in the Black Garter. 

I know we still have loads of hardcore in the away end so don't get me wrong but it was immediately noticeable right from the off when the camera pans our away end, maybe it's me but a lot of these people don't look like our away fans. Standing there like mute lemmings, gently applauding. The goals go in and some are just stood there. I don't know about you but if I was at Sunderland Away and we scored I'd be expecting at least a minor injury of some sort in the celebrations.  Anyhow, my voice was gone by half time in the pub. It was like Wembley revisited. Six passionate blokes giving their support in the pub. We are just six daft lads but it's clear that there are many more (better fans than us) who can't get in now. We have long had a reputation for having a great away support and it pains me so much to see it slowly becoming watered down. 

21 hours ago, SteV said:

Seems a sound bloke from what I’ve heard of people who’ve had interactions with him.

How he gets a ticket for games like this I’m not entirely sure mind, but probably best not open that can of worms…

He’s on the train quite regularly from Morpeth for home games and I’ve seen him a couple of times when I bought tickets in the Platinum Club. Saw him at Leeds too when Shelvey scored. Suspect he’ll have the loyalty points anyway. 

2 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

He’s on the train quite regularly from Morpeth for home games and I’ve seen him a couple of times when I bought tickets in the Platinum Club. Saw him at Leeds too when Shelvey scored. Suspect he’ll have the loyalty points anyway. 

Yeah he might well have had his own ticket for a long while.

Although a PL referee owning a ST for a PL club probably isn’t the best optics, even if he can’t do our matches 😬

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I see our team photo has wound them up. 

If they’d done that to us, we’d have been absolutely livid. Can’t believe they allowed it to happen 

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/the-mags-weren’t-even-that-good.1624624/post-39870102

I must have imagined longstaff's three chances, Almiron's shot going straight in before it hit the clogger in the head (which he knew nothing about) and Almiron/Gordon's efforts which were just wide. They were totally dominated by a team who only needed to play in second gear from the kick off. 30 million for Clarke, 20 million for Neil and Ballard, and a team who plays Brazil like football my fucking arse [emoji38]

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/the-mags-weren’t-even-that-good.1624624/post-39870102

I must have imagined longstaff's three chances, Almiron's shot going straight in before it hit the clogger in the head (which he knew nothing about) and Almiron/Gordon's efforts which were just wide. They were totally dominated by a team who only needed to play in second gear from the kick off. 30 million for Clarke, 20 million for Neil and Ballard, and a team who plays Brazil like football my fucking arse [emoji38]

To be fair to them a few are calling him out

6 minutes ago, Magpie said:

The Tyne Wear derby at the weekend was the 157th meeting between the two teams. But something happened for the first ever time. What was it?

A flock of seagulls got digitally penetrated during the half time meat draw in the centre circle. Band members said it's the last time they do a gig in Sunderland. 

1 minute ago, Pablo123 said:

A flock of seagulls got digitally penetrated during the half time meat draw in the centre circle. Band members said it's the last time they do a gig in Sunderland. 

It's good, but it's not quite right

10 minutes ago, Magpie said:

The Tyne Wear derby at the weekend was the 157th meeting between the two teams. But something happened for the first ever time. What was it?

Thogden making an appearance in the stands?

15 minutes ago, Magpie said:

The home fans thought they played in silver and red?  First time a heavily bosomed woman offered out the away end, and actually used the word 'puff' in a sentence for the first time in decades

20 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Isak being the first player to score for us in all those comps in 1 season ever :)

56 minutes ago, Magpie said:

One of the teams made five subs??

Edit - or four subs at the same time?

Edited by Keegans Export

57 minutes ago, Magpie said:

First time the teams have met when in different divisions?

57 minutes ago, Magpie said:

No Sunderland player had played in any of the previous derbies? 

1 hour ago, Magpie said:

Something niche like, first time one of the teams had 0 corners? 

1 hour ago, Magpie said:

Think I heard somewhere that it was the most away fans ever in the derby? 

44 minutes ago, Decky said:

Think I heard somewhere that it was the most away fans ever in the derby? 

Not even close. We used to get two-thirds of the old Roker End in the '80s and that held about 18,000.

19 hours ago, LFEE said:

Surely it’s in reference to the team? Not the fans…

Whos that team they call United?
Who’s that team we all adore?
Well they play in B&W and they all know how to fight…

We’ll support you ever more.

Unless they’ve changed the words which wouldn’t surprise me changing “they” to “we” stops it from making sense 😆

I've always sung 'we'. (while feeling a bit silly singing the fight bit :lol:)

14 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Listen, I am no soopa fan or anything. Far from it. I've been following the team since the mid 90's, had a season ticket for nearly 15 years. Been to maybe 30 away games before I gave up when Rafa left as I could take no more. So I am speaking from a base of perhaps being a slightly more than average fan. One thing I will say is that I don't need to be asked twice to sing my heart out home or away. 

On saturday I watched the match in the Black Garter (don't ask! :lol:) with six mates. Most of them better fans than me. In years gone by at least half of them would have been in that away end. But this year they're not, they are in the Black Garter. 

I know we still have loads of hardcore in the away end so don't get me wrong but it was immediately noticeable right from the off when the camera pans our away end, maybe it's me but a lot of these people don't look like our away fans. Standing there like mute lemmings, gently applauding. The goals go in and some are just stood there. I don't know about you but if I was at Sunderland Away and we scored I'd be expecting at least a minor injury of some sort in the celebrations.  Anyhow, my voice was gone by half time in the pub. It was like Wembley revisited. Six passionate blokes giving their support in the pub. We are just six daft lads but it's clear that there are many more (better fans than us) who can't get in now. We have long had a reputation for having a great away support and it pains me so much to see it slowly becoming watered down. 

I had the exact same experience when watching the cup final last February, but I watched it in The Clock. I was surrounded by lads who you just knew were part of the old school, singing all of our traditional songs at the top of their voices. It was pretty depressing knowing that our end should have been filled with these lads, rather than them having no choice but to watch it in a bar. Our old hardcore are now watching NUFC matches in front of a TV screen and that is a serious problem.