Fulham 0-2 Newcastle United (FA Cup) - 27/01/24

BlueStar

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I thought Botman & Schar had poor halves too tbh - Schar particularly 

In what way? Schär yellow card aside they've dealt with everything, kept the ball, and covered for Burn, Bruno, and Longstaff.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think you can judge the DM issue on a game with 3 CMs who can’t really run. We’d never put out this lineup if we could help it. 

Joelinton and Tonali can run, but if we continue with this midfield for the reminder of the season it will be a nightmare.

Just now, STM said:

One thing I will say, all noises are that Eddie wants a midfielder, which at least tells me that they know where the problems lie. We are a different side with Joelinton and/or Willock.

We had problems all over the pitch there mind, not just midfield 

A DM means we would have to change formation to also incorporate Bruno at 6, can’t see us moving away from the 4-3-3. The current issue is who we have available in midfield, not that we don’t deploy an out and out DM imo.

4 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Two weeks trainings and the main thing I’ve picked up is we’re going short from goal kicks. Apart from that not much difference…

Aye, that Edit Kev was talking about it being a theme since Pope picked up his injury.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Still think we need a proper DM.

Been lacking one since Tonali got banned. Out flat midfield 3 gets bypassed or cut open so easily and then they're in on goal. 

Huge problem for us this season and our strong interest in Phillips at least shows we're trying to solve it. Just can't see us signing one this window.

Edited by Scotty66

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Thought Murphy was shocking 

Think you need to be on the ball to get to be shocking like. :lol: Think he's been quiet, but also should have scored twice, it's a weird one.

We always just look so open once we've lost the ball, which is quite often these days. Safe to say this midfield 3 just don't work at all and it effects literally everyone else in the team as we always seem to be on the back foot and chasing back.

Edited by Scoot

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We could do with both tbh.

We definitely need two better options either side of Bruno. We are missing that so much at the minute.

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How come Lee Dixon is a commentator when he doesn’t know the rules? 

Didnt know them that well as a player either the Tin Tin looking c8nt but it didn't matter to Gerald Ashby.

We’re not fully clicking, but Fulham are so well organised and quick to close they make it hard to get any continuity. Did the same to Chelsea and Liverpool. For me, Bruno is the man who needs to go up a notch. He has the ability to hold the ball and find that pass. Even under this kind of pressing. Murphy’s two chances were nice to see. Feel he would have scored the first if it had come a few minutes later. Shame about the offside, but good finish. Promising. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In what way? Schär yellow card aside they've dealt with everything, kept the ball, and covered for Burn, Bruno, and Longstaff.

Kicked it long and invited pressure a few times.

I would prefer an attacking midfielder with pace to play alongside Bruno and Longstaff/Miley rather than a defensive midfielder, which would mean an even more negative midfield.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

A DM means we would have to change formation to also incorporate Bruno at 6, can’t see us moving away from the 4-3-3. The current issue is who we have available in midfield, not that we don’t deploy an out and out DM imo.

Totally agree with this. It's the lack of physicality and speed in midfield that gives us problems. Willock, Joelinton and even Tonali would see us playing completely differently.

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

We definitely need two better options either side of Bruno. We are missing that so much at the minute.

Bruno has been as poor as the rest of the midfield in fairness, though we definitely need either a different midfield or a different formation 

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Kicked it long and invited pressure a few times.

Schär always plays that ball tbf. He did it constantly with a canny low success rate against the mackems. It just maybe didn't seem as bad because they kept giving us the ball back. :lol: