Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

Barkley signed by them for free by the way. A signing we should have been making all day long. 

Why?

He’s been bang average since halfway through his Chelsea spell.

He always saves his best game or performance for games against us and everyone keeps saying we missed out on him. No, if we had Joelinton available yesterday, he would have been shown up for what he is, average at best.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Why?

He always saves his best game or performance for games against us and everyone keeps saying we missed out on him. No, if we had Joelinton available yesterday, he would have been shown up for what he is, average at best.

It would have been a bit of a random and questionable signing at the start of the season but Barkley has looked consistently good for Luton all season and clearly would have been a very useful player in our squad. 

14 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Didn't know that, I'd imagine they'll want to extend that asap. 

Probably, but if you’re Barkley you’re probably going to see what other offers come your way at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, madras said:

Are you forgetting that midfield 3 was also up against 6 for the most part ? They gambled on going man to man with our front 3 and nearly got caught but it ultimately paid off. Also in the first half Bruno escaped several times into fantastic positions to break but we didn't find him.

Purely my opinion but with a Willock or Isak we win that comfortably.

Agree with the last paragraph. Which is kind of what I was getting at. Didn’t have the legs in midfield to get about the park and we also lacked that focal point. Even though I thought Gordon played well. 

Murphy and Almiron had to tuck in and drop back a lot to help out. If we had one or both of the Joes fit they wouldn’t have had to do that so much IMO. 

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Why?

Rubbish. He's been consistently excellent for months.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Why?

A post from someone who clearly doesn’t watch other teams. The lad is class.

Burn getting stick for the 3rd and 4th goal but not much being said about Botman giving away that stupid free kick for the 1st when the Luton player is 30 yards from goal and facing away from goal yet Botman clatters into the back of him. The 2nd goal, Schar is miles out of position and almost gives up running back. Actually almost stops when Barkley picks the ball up in the box despite only being about 2 yards away from him. 

If Burn is getting hammered for his part in yesterday it's only fair to highlight others mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Burn getting stick for the 3rd and 4th goal but not much being said about Botman giving away that stupid free kick for the 1st when the Luton player is 30 yards from goal and facing away from goal yet Botman clatters into the back of him. The 2nd goal, Schar is miles out of position and almost gives up running back. Actually almost stops when Barkley picks the ball up in the box despite only being about 2 yards away from him. 

If Burn is getting hammered for his part in yesterday it's only fair to highlight others mistakes.

Pretty sure Bruno shouts at him to move over to close down the spare player for one of the goals but he stands there trying to block a shot when Bruno was also there 

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Why?

He never really got a consistent run of games at Chelsea from what I remember. Seems he’s the type of player who thrives from playing regularly.

Average is a very harsh assessment. He’s always been a talent. He absolutely ran the show yesterday, surrounded by a lot of very average teammates

Edited by Holmesy

I mean his best offer was from Luton town who everyone expected to finish 20th, and who are 4th from bottom at the moment, only out of the relegation zone because of Everton's points deduction. It’s not like I’m alone in thinking he’s not that good.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I mean his best offer was from Luton town who everyone expected to finish 20th, and who are 4th from bottom at the moment, only out of the relegation zone because of Everton's points deduction. It’s not like I’m alone in thinking he’s not that good.

He’s had a weird career, but you’re wrong 

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Ben Arfa's best offer was us, as was Rafa's.

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

No, but they’re not [emoji38]

Well I know, but it's kind of pointless debating the merits of players who would get in our team ahead of Longstaff and Miley. That's most midfielders in the league. 

18 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well I know, but it's kind of pointless debating the merits of players who would get in our team ahead of Longstaff and Miley. That's most midfielders in the league. 

That’s kinda the problem though. People downplaying other team’s players is mental. 

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

He’s had a weird career, but you’re wrong 

when he came to us on loan, initially he was excellent - him and grealish in tandem tore arsenal a new one during the covid season. scored against leicester and southampton too and was proving his worth.

he then got injured and never hit those levels, but he is a class player.  

11 hours ago, aussiemag said:

It’s clear that our midfield isn’t functioning and teams are taking advantage of the space in behind our midfield and the left back area. I know we joke about Schar playing midfield, but maybe it’s time to try him screening the base of the midfield. To then free Miley and Bruno to push forward, press and create chances. Something like this: 

Dubravka 

Trippier.  Lascelles.  Botman. Livramento

Schar

Bruno.            Miley 

Gordon.               Isak.             Barnes 

Technically Schar would be superb there but he's probably slower than Bruno on the turn. And I'm not sure Howe wants any of our '3' to sit and protect in the old-fashioned sense.

I remember reading about Howe, when we signed Tonali and how he sees the team as a fluid entity.

14 hours ago, Stifler said:

@brummie would be more qualified to comment on Ross Barkley. I think he's a player who blows hot and cold, can be on it in some games, and then go completely missing in others, also I'd guess he may not fall into the character profile for some clubs, this is essential for a lot of sides now.