Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Do that mean we have to pay Palace compensation? Does he have to go on gardeners leave?

It’ll be a case of….

IMG-8155.png

Edited by bobbydazzla

5 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Im a bit underwhelmed by Freedman but dont know why

At least let it get to the point where it's confirmed and give him 5 minutes in the job first :lol:

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Do that mean we have to pay Palace compensation?

Obviously, he's not Freeman!

Edited by geordie_b

16 hours ago, Skeletor said:

I'm sure whoever they hire will be the right guy. It's taken a while to get comfortable enough to just let go and trust the club fully after a decade and a half of Fat Mike and his Bebop and Rocksteady cronies.

I love the professional process, research, interviews, presentations, references. I think Charnley just carried a massive Sports Direct bag and mug around for a bit and the job was his, spit on the handshake £45k a year ..........sorted.

Stay humble

Ironic that there's a "get Olise/Anderson/Eze" vibe getting some toots 😂

Almost like it's ok for a self styled (by some) "big club" to help themselves to a "little club's" (by the same people) players 🤔

I watched that Eze, in house, vid where he's talking about Freeman selling Palace to him. I mean unless Freeman also said "if nothing else it will be a stepping stone to a bigger club" then what he sold to Eze, and by extention Olise, is coming together. 

Right manager, right players, they're not a small time as some would suggest. 

Freedman will be interesting. Palace have assembled quite a fun squad there, and got many young players, which he may have been heavily involved in.

4 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Stay humble

Ironic that there's a "get Olise/Anderson/Eze" vibe getting some toots 😂

Almost like it's ok for a self styled (by some) "big club" to help themselves to a "little club's" (by the same people) players 🤔

I watched that Eze, in house, vid where he's talking about Freeman selling Palace to him. I mean unless Freeman also said "if nothing else it will be a stepping stone to a bigger club" then what he sold to Eze, and by extention Olise, is coming together. 

Right manager, right players, they're not a small time as some would suggest. 

Interesting one this.

Freedman has been personally involved in persuading all these players to come to Palace. With Wharton part of the draw with Dougie was apparently he'd been tracking Wharton since well before he broke into their first team. Personal touch.

But.... Palace slowly, slowly have been on a buy to sell model. It's taken time because when he came there was no money, serious FFP issues and no one to sell. Part of the pitch has been come to Palace and you play first team football. That's why Guehi, Eze, Olise and Wharton chose us. There comes a time, though when you do in fact need to sell.

It's all very well holding Zaha to ransom - that was a very special relationship - but to attract new blood you need to show that Palace isn't a prison but a pathway to glory. Yep, one more season with this team and European football is more than plausible but there's an obvious ceiling and we have too many players that would enhance any CL squad (note squad!!). We need to sell to get the next gen. The trick will be -and Parish is smart - not to do a Southampton or possibly a Brighton and lose them all at once. One a season - tops two.

Our assets are 

Eze - right age for a move 

Olise - by consent generally considered the best player we've ever had 

Guehi - has that young English leader home grown thing - most likely to leave

Andersen - the underrated one but actually the match if Guehi and wrong age bracket

Doucoure - the forgotten one - our season fell apart when he was injured not when Olise and Eze were out

Wharton - early days but just wow 

Richards - may look odd on this list but pedigree and only held back by the two ahead of him. Expect his tock to rise next year (sick note alert)

Mateta - carefully left off the list

Next note is that 10 years' later we're about to build our mainstand - obvious money pit and obvious scepticism about ring-fenced funding.

Someone needs to go this season to avoid 4 leaving next!

22 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Interesting one this.

Freedman has been personally involved in persuading all these players to come to Palace. With Wharton part of the draw with Dougie was apparently he'd been tracking Wharton since well before he broke into their first team. Personal touch.

But.... Palace slowly, slowly have been on a buy to sell model. It's taken time because when he came there was no money, serious FFP issues and no one to sell. Part of the pitch has been come to Palace and you play first team football. That's why Guehi, Eze, Olise and Wharton chose us. There comes a time, though when you do in fact need to sell.

It's all very well holding Zaha to ransom - that was a very special relationship - but to attract new blood you need to show that Palace isn't a prison but a pathway to glory. Yep, one more season with this team and European football is more than plausible but there's an obvious ceiling and we have too many players that would enhance any CL squad (note squad!!). We need to sell to get the next gen. The trick will be -and Parish is smart - not to do a Southampton or possibly a Brighton and lose them all at once. One a season - tops two.

Our assets are 

Andersen - the underrated one but actually the match if Guehi and wrong age bracket

Doucoure - the forgotten one - our season fell apart when he was injured not when Olise and Eze were out

Richards - may look odd on this list but pedigree and only held back by the two ahead of him. Expect his tock to rise next year (sick note alert)

Next note is that 10 years' later we're about to build our mainstand - obvious money pit and obvious scepticism about ring-fenced funding.

I think Eze and Guehi will leave this summer. Hope that Olise has been impressed by Glasner's start and stays on for another season at least. The last thing he wants is to go to Man U and do a Zaha! 

34 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Interesting one this.

Our assets are 

I always appreciate level-headed and intelligent insight from other clubs' supporters coming here, thank you for adding to the discussion.

1 minute ago, Magpie said:

I think Eze and Guehi will leave this summer. Hope that Olise has been impressed by Glasner's start and stays on for another season at least. The last thing he wants is to go to Man U and do a Zaha! 

Sort of agree.

This involves though Olise deciding to stay because someone somewhere will trigger his release clause - quite possibly multiple clubs. For a Palace fan the nonsense with Chelsea this time last year is a source of hope. He could do it again - Glasner helps.  Money is not the draw with him - it's exposure and playing footie week in week out. So this Palace fan hopes optimistically as possibly. The other thing is the better sources say he has quite a demanding list of requirements - he's very switched on about his career apparently:

first team football - rules out maybe City (Pep) and Arsenal (Saka)

settled environment - rules out Liverpool and Man U - Spurs dubious

CL/European football - thinking Newcastle might well fit the bill - Villa seems a long shot tbh

Though if City came calling he would of course go. I'm not quite that deluded. 

14 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Come to the Toon and do a Gordon! 

30 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Sort of agree.

This involves though Olise deciding to stay because someone somewhere will trigger his release clause - quite possibly multiple clubs. For a Palace fan the nonsense with Chelsea this time last year is a source of hope. He could do it again - Glasner helps.  Money is not the draw with him - it's exposure and playing footie week in week out. So this Palace fan hopes optimistically as possibly. The other thing is the better sources say he has quite a demanding list of requirements - he's very switched on about his career apparently:

first team football - rules out maybe City (Pep) and Arsenal (Saka)

settled environment - rules out Liverpool and Man U - Spurs dubious

CL/European football - thinking Newcastle might well fit the bill - Villa seems a long shot tbh

Though if City came calling he would of course go. I'm not quite that deluded. 

I appreciate this post, because I hear this sort of thing about the more serious footballers out there, and there's more of them than people think.

Too many times on this forum people think all of these guys just go after the money and living in some flash city.

42 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Come to the Toon and do a Gordon! 

Him on the right and Gordon on the left 😍😍😍

My oh my 

Just now, KaKa said:

I appreciate this post, because I hear this sort of thing about the more serious footballers out there, and there's more of them than people think.

Too many times on this forum people think all of these guys just go after the money and living in some flash city.

I think this is absolutely true. And I would add that we have typically only signed players who are of that mentality. Howe has certainly done a great job helping players improve but those players have to be of that ambitious, professional mentality for our plan to work.

4 hours ago, Memphis said:

I think this is absolutely true. And I would add that we have typically only signed players who are of that mentality. Howe has certainly done a great job helping players improve but those players have to be of that ambitious, professional mentality for our plan to work.

Eddie’s reputation counts for much to a young and up and coming prospect. Yes there are other factors but….

:howe:

3 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

It's been reported for a few days that it's been him and freeman.

very concerning

The new guy wouldn’t have Dougie’s legendary powers of persuasion, nor the same ability to tell a tale and sell the vision and the project.

I liked this from some random poster on the Palace forum.