Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

A bit worried about the noise that Ashworth was outside the inner circle and that he did not have the full control of the sporting side.

I genuinely fear that Eddie have to much power and influence to much at the club. Get his nephew a job in the scouting department etc. This cannot happen and we definitely need a sporting director overseeing everything.

This is not me not liking Eddie, he is fantastic. But to much trust in a job that is so volatile is not a good long term strategy.

Edited by High Five o

We could end up waiting to appoint just like last time though, I can’t see another EPL club being willing to release their sporting director to us whilst also getting ready for summer. 

we could do with someone unattached or foreign. 

On 15/02/2024 at 23:27, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not completely clear on the sporting director role TBH. He basically oversees all the football-related activity as opposed to the commercial?

So he is interested in recruitment but it's not the only thing, and he's not the person that actually does it.

So you need a capable exec with a record in building and running all sorts of teams, but also ideally someone who has taken a club from a low to higher position. 

As to who it could be, I haven't a clue. But I'm sure it shouldn't be someone like Rafa who has never done the job before. 

When Ashworth explained it on TV, about being in the middle of a wheel and spokes coming out to different functions, he just sounded like a middle-management airbag who’s job is simply delegating stuff for others to do.  Hopefully there is a lot more to it than that, but from what I can tell he didn’t actually directly do owt. 

Who was the fella who took it on short term in an advisory role in that first January?

we may see him back whilst we get a replacement.

I have no clue who we’ll get, but I back them to get it right.

2 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Who was the fella who took it on short term in an advisory role in that first January?

we may see him back whilst we get a replacement.

I have no clue who we’ll get, but I back them to get it right.

Scratch this, he’s at Leeds now.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The profile of player they signed in the summer was excellent. 

They were ruthless with the manager change too, although there is no doubt they  did the right thing in hindsight.

On 15/02/2024 at 12:27, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not completely clear on the sporting director role TBH. He basically oversees all the football-related activity as opposed to the commercial?

Yes, basically.

Our set up is Emery, Vidagamy (not sure of his title) and Monchi ('President of Football Operations' - basically handles all the transfer deals) are the triumvirate who run the football side, that's totally divorced from the commercial side of the business (obviously other than the interactions over budgets).

I'd imagine it's similar also to Johan Lange, who was our sporting director before Monchi came and sort of shunted him off into a random 'global' role, before he fucked off to Spurs. He knew his stuff, too, tbf, oversaw some good signings.

But yeah, that dividing line between football and commercial is, I think, becoming more and more the norm.

1 hour ago, High Five o said:

A bit worried about the noise that Ashworth was outside the inner circle and that he did not have the full control of the sporting side.

I genuinely fear that Eddie have to much power and influence to much at the club. Get his nephew a job in the scouting department etc. This cannot happen and we definitely need a sporting director overseeing everything.

This is not me not liking Eddie, he is fantastic. But to much trust in a job that is so volatile is not a good long term strategy.

He has never been a Monchi/Campos type of Sporting Director - in all his roles he has been relatively hands off, never really been a scout and as has been mentioned a bazillion times the whole "spoke in the wheel" mantra is about being the guy who sits above the detail and makes sure everyone is talking and working in a consistent way.  Closer to a Chief Operating Officer in the corporate world.

Manchester United are meant to be bringing in a Director of Football along side Ashworth, and Man City have operated with a tandem working in the equivalent of Technical Director and Director of Football roles.  If Howe has the final say and runs the scouting/transfers, than that would be by design rather than a power grab.  

If the club is worried about Howe stretching himself too thin, they would be well placed to replace Ashworth whilst also bringing in someone to sit above Nickson (or even promoting him).

Edited by Pandamninator

Ashworth is a big picture, non scout, operations guy through and through. He’s about as much of a COO as you could imagine. Nickson and the scouting team run that side, Andy Howe makes sure first team is looked after and then Eddie has last say on transfers for the first team. (If I’m gathering that right). 

Ashworth negotiated all the deals though and was a liaison to the board. He set up what sounds like a real proper foundation for us to build upon going forward. 

would like that next DOF / sporting director to be more of a Campos type. 

Edited by Kanji

1 minute ago, duo said:

Having finished in the top four last season, the Magpies were knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage, will not win the Carabao Cup and currently sit seventh in the Premier League

AI writing for the mirror now ? Will not win the Carabao cup !!!

Just now, Pandamninator said:

Definitely a pipe dream - Edwards even fobbed off a lucrative part time consulting gig with Liverpool, but what's the harm in speaking it into existence.

wasn't that because he wanted a new challenge? et voila ->Newcastle

Edwards could likely have the pick of any club he wants. I'd like to think he values a challenge. However, I just can't see him wanting to get back into the weeds to build almost from scratch and do what he already did at liverpool. Hopefully Eddie can sweet talk him.

I'm sure we will get someone great in. It would be privy to find someone with top club, CL experience but also people like Giles and Richard Hughes have a great understanding of the market and getting value for money. There are advantages to both.