Newcastle United 2-2 Bournemouth (17/02/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

This is the sensible take. We can’t compete at a high level with this current 11. That midfield 3 isn’t good enough for a top …..10-14 side.

Full squad, few new signings, no freak injuries/bans, I genuinely think we push top 4 next year. 

Only some of the injuries could be termed ‘freak’ - many of them were avoidable or because we have some very injury-prone players.  I reckon a real squad recycle is needed this summer.  I think we’ll see it, as well

1 minute ago, NSG said:

Everyone keeps saying the midfield is shite but then raves about how good Bruno and Miley are. So basically Longstaff is shit :lol: 

Well, yes.

Miley’s going to be class, but not in this role.

5 minutes ago, Adrian1881 said:

Wow what happened to us? It was fun watching our team playing and now we just are so boring. We lost the spirit we used to have.  What I hope is that we can get some new player. It's tough to watch Almiron, Burn. Our attack needs some fresh blood...Wilson and Isaak injured all the time. Definitely we need 3-4 extra players. Damn I hope we somehow can still be 6th or 7th team this season, but it looks really bad now.

Are we really boring though? :lol: Only three teams (top 3) has scored more than us, and only by 3-6 goals.

2 minutes ago, NSG said:

Everyone keeps saying the midfield is shite but then raves about how good Bruno and Miley are. So basically Longstaff is shit :lol: 

To be fair, Bruno is class and Miley looks like fantastic potential...as individuals.

As a midfield 3, they are a bit shit together.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Are we really boring though? :lol: Only three teams (top 3) has scored more than us, and only by 3-6 goals.

The only boring thing about us is seeing us concede the same damn identical goal twice a game every week for the last 6 weeks. That's what is fucking boring, the rest of it is pretty fun.

Edited by Mazzy

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Huge. But again, another deficiency in the squad that was kicked down the road.

If it's a deficiency, then outside of the Newcastle bubble it's one that nigh on every other club has.

4 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I think you highlight a great point about where we are going wrong.

We CAN afford to be slightly more conservative.

Even a shape change in CM would make a difference, let alone players.

If we can have Isak and Willock back, post Arsenal, they might save our bacon.

Edited by STM

7 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Changed like 10 years ago  :lol:

Cannot remember the last time it wasn't the rule.

Yeah. Don't remember us ever being stung by it in focus before. Thats could also be a casulaty of age though. :harry: Maybe the majority of fouls were either clearly in or out and not continuing for the penalties we have won/conceded. Likely age.

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

To be fair, Bruno is class and Miley looks like fantastic potential...as individuals.

100%

It's not about individuals. The flat shape and lack of physicality is killing us.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, you’re right, but it still shouldn’t be enough to make the side defend like a bunch of strangers.

Aye, the defence looks way too easy to run at and pull out of position.  With the personnel in midfield it needs tinkering with.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

We don't have the players to break up play. Big Joe is such a miss and longstaff looks like he was a one season wonder as since he came back from injury he has been so poor, looks like he's trying but has nothing left to give.

6 minutes ago, NSG said:

Miley looks really promising, but off the ball he's very naive.

4 minutes ago, NSG said:

Individually nothing wrong with any of them imo, even Longstaff has qualities we can use (remember how much better we looked once he came in for Tonali - opening game against Villa excluded?).

It's just the combination of the three of them that doesn't work.

Replacing Miley or Longstaff for Joelinton or Willock would make us much tougher to play through.

Also, casual reminder that the ref facilitated their tactical fouling and looked mortified that he had to give a pen.

I knew he'd get the book out later on in the game, rendering his early card-shyness an absolute joke.

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The reality is, with Dubravka in goal, academy lads in midfield, zero strikers to choose from and Jacob Murphy as our only attacking sub - we are every inch a mid-table outfit. And we're getting mid-table results. 

I think the manager could possibly tinker more with the system to conceal our weaknesses a bit more, but ultimately we're delivering pretty much on par.

What's really encouraging is that the mentality continues to be very strong and we're digging ourselves out of difficult situations. Everyone is playing for each other, that is absolutely clear, and we'll avoid tumbling down the table as long as that is the case. 

Bingo.

There's not much between us with what's available and Bournemouth thus there wasn't much between us and Bournemouth on the park.

What top players we have are off-set by a good chunk of our players not getting in their team.

The rest of the season is going to be a competitive tussle with the rest of the league because were all pretty average. Getting upset about it isn't going to change anything.

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

I thought Miley played well today, the shape of the midfield has been a problem all season both defensively and going forward yet we still persevere with it.

People will point out that we had success with it last season but if clubs don’t evolve then they would all be playing 4-4-2 still.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I think you highlight a great point about where we are going wrong.

We CAN afford to be slightly more conservative.

Even a shape change in CM would make a difference, let alone players.

If we can have Isak and Willock back, post Arsenal, they might save our bacon.

I might get pelters for the suggestion, but given our options and Howe’s system preference I’m surprised he hasn’t moved Schar into midfield as a DM and pushed Bruno and Longstaff further forward.  Schar has played a decent number of games there previously

Miley's strengths are in possession; his movement is decent and he's got remarkable composure, making him a good passer. However he doesn't have anywhere near the physicality to make a significant impact out of possession, meanwhile he carries zero goal threat.

I share everyone's enthusiasm about him, and for him to have so aptly held the fort this season is absolutely commendable. But he does spend most of the majority of games as a bit of a passenger. 

In a bit of a bad mood now tbh. Not really because of another poor to average performance, to be expected with ravenous injuries resulting in no out n out CF, a 17 year old in MF etc. But because there's glaring inadequecies in the squad that we're quite literally not allowed to address without selling our best current players or cooking the books. What a mockery.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I might get pelters for the suggestion, but given our options and Howe’s system preference I’m surprised he hasn’t moved Schar into midfield as a DM and pushed Bruno and Longstaff further forward.  Schar has played a decent number of games there previously

I don't agree with Schar. He's nowhere near got the legs. Has Schar ever played there? [emoji38]

But if we persist with Burn, Livramento into Mileys 8 position would work. Livramento in any position on the pitch would work coz he's absolutely class.

The idea that we aren't utilising our second most (after Gordon) energetic, physical and most dynamic player blows my mind.

I'm absolutely convinced we could stick Livramento in any position on the pitch and the team would benefit.