Newcastle United 2-2 Bournemouth (17/02/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

I thought Miley was good today in the holding role personally, he makes the occasional poor choice but that's just obviously going to happen. Put himself about and made some decent tackles, and I thought the decision to push him further up the pitch in the second half was an odd one tbh. 

Was also disappointed to see the idea of Trippier moving into midfield being thrown out this week, it looked effective against Forest until we just randomly stopped doing it in that game.  

3 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

They were bang out of form before this as well got beat pretty comfortably at Fulham 

I watched that game and the result looked more comfortable than the reality tbf, Bournemouth had something like 25 shots to Fulham's 6. 

13 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

We badly need to get some pace in the midfield 3, at left back and centre back. You need speed to get to the ball and recovery pace if you want to press high

ya, Tonali Joelinton and Willock are fast and strong. I think Libra should be our first choice LB until Trips hangs it up. And 100% issue not having a fast CB. 

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Didn’t watch the game today.  And I like him overall. But his lack of physicality in our system makes him a weakness. Not sure of his ceiling tbh 

ah come on man, don’t come on the game thread and speak about Miley not being up to it after he put in a great all around performance, esp if you didn’t watch it yet. 

21 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

We badly need to get some pace in the midfield 3, at left back and centre back. You need speed to get to the ball and recovery pace if you want to press high

Lack of pace across two thirds of the pitch  is definitely an issue, we are about as undynamic as it gets at the moment. 

Our defensive line has a tendency to drop back due to the risk of being caught out (or after being caught out), and this is where the massive gaps form when the attacking element of our team are chasing the ball down like madmen at the other end. A high press starts with a high line, but we just aren't capable of it due to the lack of recovery. 

4 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

boo-boys turning on Miley now? ??? I thought the lad did really well today - got to remember, he's just 17. He will only get better.

People aren't turning on him, just rightly pointing out that the midfield as a unit doesn't work in their current form as they are all quite similar.

Edited by El Prontonise

We’ve been all aware that since JL has been out for the season this was the midfield. Until willock is back this what we are going to have to live with. There’s no other option. 

We just look all over the place defensively but I think a lot of that comes from our current midfield 3 and we also miss Pope.

Need to sort it out but that probably won't happen until we get players back.

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

We just look all over the place defensively but I think a lot of that comes from our current midfield 3 and we also miss Pope.

Need to sort it out but that probably won't happen until we get players back.

Didn't see Longstaff put in a single tackle.  Though we lost the game through sloppy passes - yes Dubs slipped but was stupid to try and play it out - just hoof it.  And second goal just a sloppy pass.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Miley’s not ready. He’s a passenger a lot of the time.  If he was 24 years old £15m signing I would be disappointed.  Given his age and experience he’s done a commendable job. But he’s also a weak link. 

Miley was excellent today - only passenger was Longstaff. 

5 minutes ago, duo said:

Miley was excellent today - only passenger was Longstaff. 

Agree. Miley has flaws defensively, but his use of the ball was very good.

27 minutes ago, Kanji said:

We’ve been all aware that since JL has been out for the season this was the midfield. Until willock is back this what we are going to have to live with. There’s no other option. 

I agree but we could've tried to mitigate that by changing system to, say, a back 3 with Trippier and Livramento wing backs. We can't go on needing to score 3+ goals to win a match, which has been the case in every PL since Christmas for us. I'd certainly think about starting with that next week.

1 hour ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Miley and Bruno stand out players today. Livramento changed the game as well when he eventually came on. 

I thought Bruno was quite wasteful, held on to it far too long at times and we nearly paid for it. He knows the situation we are in and sometimes tries too much.

He's getting g booked V Arsenal to get the suspension out the way so get ya cash on that.

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I agree but we could've tried to mitigate that by changing system to, say, a back 3 with Trippier and Livramento wing backs. We can't go on needing to score 3+ goals to win a match, which has been the case in every PL since Christmas for us. I'd certainly think about starting with that next week.

Won't work apparently according to the clique.

Not seen any replays only the game in the stadium. Thought Miley was MOTM, great display. Dubs made two great saves first half but at fault for both goals. Solanke is worth £50m, he's like Wilson from 6 years ago but without the injuries

Sell Miggy for FFP purposes plus Longstaff. Gordon is fantastic and a future England international. Tino is the future, but think he may settle in midfield. Stick with Howe.