Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United (24/02/24) | Reaction: pg 43

Disco

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I count two players who I would say aren’t first teamers playing - Karius and Miley.  We are playing once per week.  That’s running pretty thin at this point. 

But they are still playing almost every minute of every game because we have nobody to sub in so they can't play with the normal intensity.

Besides that, the main issue is our midfield where 2 of Willock, Joelinton and Tonali would start.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

As bad as we have been shown up under Howe. Players have had an absolute mare. Arsenal are playing out of their skins for sure but we aren't mentally on the pitch. Completely asleep and inert. 

Our leaders aren't stepping up they are stepping down and out of the way. Absolutely rancid.

There aren't that many leaders in this 11. Certainly not in midfield.

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Results and performances like this, especially after last season, make me worry for Howe. It makes me wonder if Eddie struggles with alternate tactics and was more of a one-trick pony last year with the possession, pressing setup we had and it maybe having been been found out. I know we've had probably mitigating reasons for being poor earlier in the season, but is there an excuse now? We should really have started this match going in strong on Arsenal and not giving them the space/time on the ball, but we seem to have lost the motivation to play for each other and get at them.

I think last year we were doing better than expected and a lot of teams sat back more and let us be the team on the front foot. This year a lot more teams are challenging us for the intiative and to be honest we haven't coped well when they've done so.

That said, we couldn't lay a glove on Arsenal last year either.

One positive how recent months have gone and likely next few months, there’s no pussy footing about how we need to get rid of a lot of players, even ones starting. 

Howe got most out of some guys, but their natural levels are below where we need and want to go so need to be ruthless in waving them on.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I count two players who I would say aren’t first teamers playing - Karius and Miley.  We are playing once per week.  That’s running pretty thin at this point. 

Willock’s on the bench, arguably only missing Joelinton and Tonali from the first 11.

Just now, GEFAFWISP said:

Bruno is getting bullied and Longstaff/Miley can't support him, tough watch.

Exactly this. They’re cutting everything off into Bruno and there’s no one else available to receive the ball.

5 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Longstaff done nowt for weeks, waste of a shirt.

If you'd asked most people on here which player would be totally overwhelmed by the game most would have said Longstaff.