Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United (24/02/24) | Reaction: pg 43

Disco

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The idea that Schar is the best CB most of have seen in B&W isn’t worth worrying about for me.  It simply isn’t true. 

I mean, I think it’s a choice between 2

so it’s at least close. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly not that bothered about that, they played well and we didn't have what would have been needed to beat them. 

Same. Maybe we could have contained them more effectively in the first half but Arsenal were punishing. 

Guest reefatoon

Well that’s another game over, time to dive into the Lewis Hall thread again and chunter on about another non appearance.

Poor performance, so much of Arsenal's good performance came about from our own reckless and stupid passing.  Our lack of midfield hampered us enormously yet again, so many balls going backwards because Miley and Longstaff weren't able to find the right positions or hold on to the ball.  Botman having his worst ever game for us didn't help matters either.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Same. Maybe we could have contained them more effectively in the first half but Arsenal were punishing. 

I still find it crushingly depressing to see us murdered while looking like amateurs. I know it’s just a matter of time but I can’t wait for the day when we can complete with these teams for technical quality. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The idea that Schar is the best CB most of have seen in B&W isn’t worth worrying about for me.  It simply isn’t true. 

Our slow defence has been a problem for a long time. The midfield just did a really good job of hiding it.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Just going off you saying it on this game. You didn’t say it against Forest when he scored 2 and had a cracking game.

Look, I love him, he’s great, but he’s 32 and I feel an athletic CB alongside Botman is needed if we’re going to progress.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I still find it crushingly depressing to see us murdered while looking like amateurs. I know it’s just a matter of time but I can’t wait for the day when we can complete with these teams for technical quality. 

I'm not convinced we ever will. Doesn't seem any realistic way of getting around FFP and FMV.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

BDSM as a season, but maybe you're also  into BDSM :lol: PSG, Man United x2, Chelsea, Villa x2, Sunderland were all this season somehow.

It's been an absolutely mad season. Bit of the 1999/2000 about it with some notable highs, cup campaigns, loads of goals but ultimately we're mid-table as ferk.

Just now, Collage said:

Look, I love him, he’s great, but he’s 32 and I feel an athletic CB alongside Botman is needed if we’re going to progress.

It's really not a controversial point to be making. The back line, for all of Trips and Schars attacking ability, defends like a Championship side far too often

First half was minging. Second was at least not an embarrassment.

Until we have Pope back and midfield reinforcements, it's difficult to be too harsh, but the lack of appetite in the first half was annoying, it was like we were surprised that Lego Head had them fired up after what happened at SJP. 

Meh, Tuesday is a much bigger game for our season. This was the last of the big toughies (cup draw notwithstanding if we progress) so I'm glad it's out of the way.

As has been said, our genuine lack of senior midfield options is a killer for rotating and tactical purposes. 

Willock back is class. Hopefully, we can manage his minutes for the next couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's been an absolutely mad season. Bit of the 1999/2000 about it with some notable highs, cup campaigns, loads of goals but ultimately we're mid-table as ferk.

It's been very 94/95 if you're old enough to remember. Barnstorming start, injuries, play through it well, brilliant in Europe, injuries catch up, dumped ourt of Europe, ultimately succumb to it in the end. It's only missing us selling our star striker.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

It's been very 94/95 if you're old enough to remember. Barnstorming start, injuries, play through it well, brilliant in Europe, injuries catch up, dumped ourt of Europe, ultimately succumb to it in the end. It's only missing us selling our star striker.

:lol: I'm not. My introduction to nufc was the 94/95 video starring Paul Kitson.

Yeah, just got to take that one on the chin tbh. They outclassed us in every area from the first minute and just dominated and controlled the game, it happens, especially away to top teams like them. We're capable of giving them a bloody nose at home but on their own patch they're just a class above us right now. No point whinging or pointing fingers as I think any XI in any formation you care to name would have beaten us tonight. Bad night but tonight was never going to make or break our season, we've got a chance to get into the last 8 of the FA Cup midweek and that needs to be the priority. This fixture has  been hanging around but now it's out of the way and we can look ahead, fuck it - they're better than us, just as we all knew 2 hours ago. 

I am not sure many of us expected to go to The Emirates tonight and come away with a win, but it's the manner of the defeat.

Conceding 4 to these, 4 to chuffin' Luton at home, 2 to Forest, 2 to Bournemouth, give whatever excuses you want, but let's not be naïve, it's really, really poor whichever way you try to dress it up.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Keegan that summer was ruthless in the transfer market, we need to do that again.