Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Newcastle United - NUFC win 4-3 on pens (27/02/24) | Reaction: pg 70

Disco

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Think that's a fair shout and honestly a good reason why they deserve credit for getting through that tonight. Some brilliant composure in the shootout... probably - all moments considered - the most confident I've ever seen us look at pennos. :lol:

Anderson’s was proper Billy Big Bollocks for young man having not played for ages and without much track record. Proper textbook technique.

It looks like a number of issues affecting us at the moment, clearly everything that has happened this season has taken its toll on us. Players look forlorn, devoid of confidence and composure, mentally drained which in itself causes physical draining.

Add to that you'd have to imagine Howe is acutely aware that returning to full throttle football that won us so many games last season could easily see us losing options again. I think he's playing it safe which is leading to us inviting more pressure on. With such a one paced midfield and a keeper glued to his line were going to keep leaking goals. He either has to change our shape and make us harder to beat or open us up and have us turn the game over on the front foot. Whatever this is dangling in the middle is a complete horror show.

48 minutes ago, vic said:

RTG is worth a look.

I did enjoy the scoffing at Shearer's suggestion that we'd had tough cup draws this season

"Sunderland, Fulham and Blackburn"

its so them, just ignoring the other six games were Chelsea, Man United, Man City, PSG, Milan and Dortmund

Imagine the temerity to think we get difficult draws when only two thirds of them have been against the biggest clubs in the world, and a third of the others away at a PL a team

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hmm, Stanislas, Josh King, and our bids for Maddison would suggest otherwise like. Not a 10 either, just a player who plays between the lines and can pick a pass.

I know he has, he's still not looked great since returning.

But we didn't really get close to signing any of them players and Howe has kept the same system as last season. Think he was more than happy to get Tonali who should have been the link between 6s and 8s, and wasnt that interested in a 10.

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I did enjoy the scoffing at Shearer's suggestion that we'd had tough cup draws this season

"Sunderland, Fulham and Blackburn"

its so them, just ignoring the other six games were Chelsea, Man United, Man City, PSG, Milan and Dortmund

Imagine the temerity to think we get difficult draws when only two thirds of them have been against the biggest clubs in the world, and a third of the others away at a PL a team

Even those 3, 3 away ties in the cup against Championship and PL opposition is a lot harder than most have had.

Coventry getting through with home ties against Maidstone, Oxford and Sheff Weds, as one immediate example. Or Man Utd with Newport, Wigan and Notts Forest.

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

But we didn't really get close to signing any of them players and Howe has kept the same system as last season. Think he was more than happy to get Tonali who should have been the link between 6s and 8s, and wasnt that interested in a 10.

You said he didn't want that type of player? We put in like 3 bids for Maddison, that to me suggests that he at least did even if he doesn’t now. Whether we got close is another matter.

Like I said they're not exactly 10s. Maddison played in that exact RW/AM hybrid role for Leicester loads.

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 minutes ago, Big Jow said:

Even those 3, 3 away ties in the cup against Championship and PL opposition is a lot harder than most have had.

Coventry getting through with home ties against Maidstone, Oxford and Sheff Weds, as one immediate example. Or Man Utd with Newport, Wigan and Notts Forest.

They got beat off Crewe and they're calling out Fulham and Blackburn away! Mind technically they're shitter than Crewe so I wont argue with them on the point they were an easy draw.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I don't understand why the draw for the quarters is done before the four games tonight. Would the likes of Leeds or Southampton make any serious effort if they knew the reward for winning is away to Man City?

6 minutes ago, Beth said:

I don't understand why the draw for the quarters is done before the four games tonight. Would the likes of Leeds or Southampton make any serious effort if they knew the reward for winning is away to Man City?

Yeah, doesn't make any sense.

If Blackburn knew they were getting Man City or Liverpool away next round they probably would have thrown the game with the massive six-pointers coming up in their relegation fight.

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

If asked which was more likely, hearing Blackburn's PA playing Together - Hardcore Uproar before the penalties or us winning a penalty shoot-out I'd say hearing a song I've not heard outside of my control since it was the Sportsnight menu music in 1991

Red Hot Chili Peppers before the game

Sandstorm to start the second half

Blackburn entirely stuck in the 90s.

Please God let this be our lightning striking moment where we realise the season was almost already over through our heads-up-arseness.

Keep saying we have or will turn the corner and it just isn't happening. Our full backs get left so so wide open like. People really need to see the real issues and stop blaming the full backs.

I cannot be dicked to analyse further at this hour, but fuck me. That was hard work.

Edited by Heron

I know it wasn't the prettiest thing, but it's only the second time we've gotten to the QF in nearly 20 years and only the 9th time in almost 50 years. Can there be a tiny bit of happiness amongst the angst?

22 minutes ago, Nobody said:

How impossible would it be to get a ticket to Wembley should er make it to the semi final? 

Allocations have been roughly the same as the what we got against Man Utd last season.

Whether they go by the same rules as then, who knows? Although if we get drawn away in the QF and get through, they’ll have to come up with something different.

I'm trying hard to be happy, but that was really grim. Now we have all of the midfield back except Big Joe (not including Tonali as he barely played) we should see some improvement right??? 😬

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Allocations have been roughly the same as the what we got against Man Utd last season.

Whether they go by the same rules as then, who knows? Although if we get drawn away in the QF and get through, they’ll have to come up with something different.

I’d think that the SF allocation would be roughly 50:50 - there aren’t all that many who go to SF who don’t support either team.

The FA Cup Final would be massively different from the LC in terms of allocation - from memory we got somewhere around 20k for the late ‘90s finals; new Wembley holds more, but I’d be surprised if our allocation would exceed 30k.  

14 minutes ago, OverThere said:

I'm trying hard to be happy, but that was really grim. Now we have all of the midfield back except Big Joe (not including Tonali as he barely played) we should see some improvement right??? 😬

We don’t really have them back yet, Willock was rusty and only played 60 minutes and Anderson played 5 minutes. And Joelinton and Tonali are obviously big misses.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’d think that the SF allocation would be roughly 50:50 - there aren’t all that many who go to SF who don’t support either team.

The FA Cup Final would be massively different from the LC in terms of allocation - from memory we got somewhere around 20k for the late ‘90s finals; new Wembley holds more, but I’d be surprised if our allocation would exceed 30k.  

It’s been 34k per side the last couple of seasons. Think we got 33k v Man United.

Obviously how each club choose to dish out that 34k is another matter entirely. But that discussion can wait for another day…