Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United (30/03/24) | Reaction: pg 50

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Every game I have seen him recently against us, which I think was 4 last season and 2 this. Two of those were live. I don’t even notice he’s playing. 

Certainly got great technique and a good passer. But feels like a MOTD player. As I’ve never seen him and noticed him having a good game. 

He’d be better than Longstaff ATM. But at this point, a current day Alan Smith probably would be :lol: 

Exactly, that’s the entire point of the post - he would improve us because right now anything would be an upgrade on Longstaff. But I agree - I didn’t actually know he was playing until maybe 30 mins in today, and that’s because he appeared on screen, not because he was mentioned 😀

21 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

The old boy next to me (who I ended up hugging in the chaos after Barnes goal) was telling me about the Dutch lads who'd spent £2000 all in to get here. Class :lol: worth it eh 

Orangeman I was talking to said they were staying at No1 Hotel, wherever that is 😂

Edited by Groundhog63

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

I am not too bothered if you think I’m talking rubbish or not, you said you didn’t understand why people would think it wasn’t a penalty and I am explaining to you their thought process in why it wouldn’t be.

There is a reason why when defenders make tackles they attempt to block the ball, rather than trying to put their foot in between the player trying to kick the ball and the ball.

It isn’t worth getting worked up about.

Getting worked up :bluestar:. I think you need to learn what actually constitutes a foul. Anyway I'm replying no more so you can think what you want

9 minutes ago, HawK said:

Gordon took possession of the ball just as defenders take possession shepherding the ball out for a goal kick without touching it, it's clear cut imo. 

I don’t think Gordon took possession of the ball, he tried to reach it but didn’t and at no point did he appear to shepherd the ball.

IMG_6170.thumb.jpeg.9c2a445e2d16f7e9ea769971997dc3fd.jpeg

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think Gordon took possession of the ball, he tried to reach it but didn’t and at no point did he appear to shepherd the ball.

Thanks for clarifying again he is challenging for the ball and didn't foul Phillips. I think you need to give up

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Does he have to take possession?

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Thanks for clarifying again he is challenging for the ball and didn't foul Phillips. I think you need to give up

I thought you said you were not replying any more?

Seen loads of posts saying neither was a pen. Both were pens, both clever play by Gordon and lack of awareness from defenders. Bottom line is that Gordon was kicked both times with neither oppo challenge getting to the ball first.

I can understand people arguing that Gordon just places his leg there to get kicked but, that doesn’t mean that the defender’s lack of awareness allows them to kick Gordon. Both 100% pens for me. Soft, perhaps, but Gordon doesn’t foul either time and the defender kicks the player, not the ball. 

8 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

I don’t think either were pens, we got quite lucky. The Gordon sending off, dear me.

The second one especially looked a bit dubious. If he'd got the ball I would say pen, but he was just sticking his foot in the path of the defender without actually touching the ball. Anyway, I'm not complaining, it's usually us at the wrong end of those.

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So much to unpick with that game. 

For all we weren't brilliant in the first half, I didn't think we were bad and we were edging it. Bruno's chance which hit the bar and Isak being denied by Mavrapanos demonstrated that we'd have been good value for a half-time lead imo. 2-1 to them came out of nowhere; it was only the bullshit of VAR and its stupid delays that meant West Ham were able to snatch the lead in the 55th fucking minute. Ridiculous. 

The third goal was appalling football from us and, for all the rage and despondency, was the only truly abysmal thing that happened in the game. West Ham hadn't had to play well to have a two-goal lead which, at no point, seemed like a scoreline befitting of the play. We're just an absolute disaster when teams run at us.

West Ham looked comfortable for a brief spell after Bowen's goal, but other than that I thought we were the better team throughout. In fact, the Hammers were very unimpressive and I can see why there's a lot of angst from their fanbase.

Obviously we completely threw away the control we had but showed some quite incredible resilience to wrestle it back. I love the mentality of these players; they're a flawed team but their professionalism is absolutely A1. Sprinkle some attacking quality on top of that and Bob's your uncle: there's your sensational injury time winner. How we've missed a player like Harvey Barnes this season. 

/ . The penalties are really unfortunate but they're definitely penalties

/ . Gordon's sending off is maddening; it's such a crap rule

/ . Thought it was arguably Isak's best all-round performance in a Newcastle shirt

/ . Murphy was great at RB; what a shift he puts in for this team

/ . I can't really fault Howe for the subs, the logic was sound but Krafthy just had a stinker

/. 20 minutes total added time is a fucking joke

/ . Buzzing for @BermyToon and @LiquidAK, particularly the latter. A brilliant poster who's always seemed like an absolutely smashing lad and, seeing as it's very hard work for you to get to SJP, you really deserve that. :thup:

Top post and fully agreed on liquid, he’s one of the good ones 

The other thing about today was the referee for their second goal, at the time I didn’t think he should of allowed play to continue but I am wondering if Schar is becoming the boy who cried wolf with him going down holding his face at least once per game, that refs are not going for it anymore.