Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United (30/03/24) | Reaction: pg 50

Yorkie

Just now, Tsunami said:

No, was tactical and he went straight down the tunnel.

Feel for him, he’s been decent under Howe and that was tough coming on for Lacelles, who I thought was good up until getting injured.

First one I think was a pen. Soucek makes contract and doesn't even complain.

Second one is no way in hell a penalty. 'Oh but he kicked Gordon'. Doesn't matter. Football's not a no contact game. For it to be a foul you'd have to say that Phillips was being careless, reckless or using excessive force.

"Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed" [not worth bothering with the other two]

No way would I say Phillips is being careless. He's just kicking the ball. Like footballers do. Because they're playing football. Gordon jumps in front of him from his blind side as he's kicking and just blocks him. If anything Gordon's fouled him by impeding him with contact.

Seriously, you can't just block someone from kicking the ball and expect to get a free kick.

Edited by Checko

Just now, The Bonk said:

Feel for him, he’s been decent under Howe and that was tough coming on for Lacelles, who I thought was good up until getting injured.

Didnt he get injured after 5 mins or something? ;)

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The other thing about today was the referee for their second goal, at the time I didn’t think he should of allowed play to continue but I am wondering if Schar is becoming the boy who cried wolf with him going down holding his face at least once per game, that refs are not going for it anymore.

There was too much time for the ref to allow WH to take a “quick” free kick, I didn’t see the WH player ask the ref if he could take either. The ref was checking that Schar was ok when they took it. Shocking referring, once he’s stopped play like that it’s the ref who decides when play starts again, not the player.

Edited by Tsunami

2 minutes ago, Checko said:

Second one is no way in hell a penalty. 'Oh but he kicked Gordon'. Doesn't matter. Football's not a no contact game. For it to be a foul you'd have to say that Phillips was being careless, reckless or using excessive force.

"Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed" [not worth bothering with the other two]

No way would I say Phillips is being careless. He's just kicking the ball. Like footballers do. Because they're playing football. Gordon jumps in front of him from his blind side as he's kicking and just blocks him. If anything Gordon's fouled him by impeding him with contact.

Seriously, you can't just block someone from kicking the ball and expect to get a free kick.

apparently you can

4 minutes ago, Checko said:

Load of rubbish. Penalty all day for me! 

49 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So much to unpick with that game. 

For all we weren't brilliant in the first half, I didn't think we were bad and we were edging it. Bruno's chance which hit the bar and Isak being denied by Mavrapanos demonstrated that we'd have been good value for a half-time lead imo. 2-1 to them came out of nowhere; it was only the bullshit of VAR and its stupid delays that meant West Ham were able to snatch the lead in the 55th fucking minute. Ridiculous. 

The third goal was appalling football from us and, for all the rage and despondency, was the only truly abysmal thing that happened in the game. West Ham hadn't had to play well to have a two-goal lead which, at no point, seemed like a scoreline befitting of the play. We're just an absolute disaster when teams run at us.

West Ham looked comfortable for a brief spell after Bowen's goal, but other than that I thought we were the better team throughout. In fact, the Hammers were very unimpressive and I can see why there's a lot of angst from their fanbase.

Obviously we completely threw away the control we had but showed some quite incredible resilience to wrestle it back. I love the mentality of these players; they're a flawed team but their professionalism is absolutely A1. Sprinkle some attacking quality on top of that and Bob's your uncle: there's your sensational injury time winner. How we've missed a player like Harvey Barnes this season. 

/ . The penalties are really unfortunate but they're definitely penalties

/ . Gordon's sending off is maddening; it's such a crap rule

/ . Thought it was arguably Isak's best all-round performance in a Newcastle shirt

/ . Murphy was great at RB; what a shift he puts in for this team

/ . I can't really fault Howe for the subs, the logic was sound but Krafthy just had a stinker

/. 20 minutes total added time is a fucking joke

/ . Buzzing for @BermyToon and @LiquidAK, particularly the latter. A brilliant poster who's always seemed like an absolutely smashing lad and, seeing as it's very hard work for you to get to SJP, you really deserve that. :thup:

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Top post and fully agreed on liquid, he’s one of the good ones 

Aw thanks lads :aww: have had a cracking day, the match obviously being absolutely immense to see live, but also exploring the city. Managed to check out some of the exhibitions at the Baltic this afternoon, see the famous bridges and just wander about what's a really pretty city. Atmosphere has been great, walking down the hill away from the stadium with the crowd after the game was brilliant, was grinning ear to ear, that'll stay with me for a long time 

7 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Aw thanks lads :aww: have had a cracking day, the match obviously being absolutely immense to see live, but also exploring the city. Managed to check out some of the exhibitions at the Baltic this afternoon, see the famous bridges and just wander about what's a really pretty city. Atmosphere has been great, walking down the hill away from the stadium with the crowd after the game was brilliant, was grinning ear to ear, that'll stay with me for a long time 

Nice one. Your second time up is it?

I think the turning point and the thing I didn’t understand was Moyes subbing off his only dedicated striker and replacing him with a DM with more than 20 minutes to go and us looking shot to pieces. What was he thinking? Sit back in the penalty area for 20 mins? Thankfully we got the revenge and were really good with possession! Fantasic entertainment.

1 minute ago, papo said:

I think the turning point and the thing I didn’t understand was Moyes subbing off his only dedicated striker and replacing him with a DM with more than 20 minutes to go and us looking shot to pieces. What was he thinking? Sit back in the penalty area for 20 mins? Thankfully we got the revenge and were really good with possession! Fantasic entertainment.

Think Antonio can't do full games these days and Moyes said he wanted more legs in midfield. Didn't work, clearly. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Think Antonio can't do full games these days and Moyes said he wanted more legs in midfield. Didn't work, clearly. 

Okay but we had a slow centre back pairing and they only had to score one more to murder us totally. Ings was on the bench. Instead he invited pressure and couldn’t bear with us. Thank you Moyes :)

2 minutes ago, papo said:

Okay but we had a slow centre back pairing and they only had to score one more to murder us totally. Ings was on the bench. Instead he invited pressure and couldn’t bear with us. Thank you Moyes :)

Couldn't believe they didn't bring Ings on until it was too late.

And then remembered it's Moyes and that sort of decision is why the Hammers fans are giving him stick.

Moyes cost them the game. We couldn’t defend all afternoon and they have some lethal attacking players. But they basically decided to give up on coming into our half from 55-60 mins onwards. 

Some of that is down to us and having to go all guns blazing. But I’d be livid if I were a West Ham fan.

Criminally mis-using some serious attacking weapons. 

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Nice one. Your second time up is it?

Third! Arsenal in 2004 (0-1) and Wigan in 2012 (3-0). So 2-1 wins to losses so far :D

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

So much to unpick with that game. 

For all we weren't brilliant in the first half, I didn't think we were bad and we were edging it. Bruno's chance which hit the bar and Isak being denied by Mavrapanos demonstrated that we'd have been good value for a half-time lead imo. 2-1 to them came out of nowhere; it was only the bullshit of VAR and its stupid delays that meant West Ham were able to snatch the lead in the 55th fucking minute. Ridiculous. 

The third goal was appalling football from us and, for all the rage and despondency, was the only truly abysmal thing that happened in the game. West Ham hadn't had to play well to have a two-goal lead which, at no point, seemed like a scoreline befitting of the play. We're just an absolute disaster when teams run at us.

West Ham looked comfortable for a brief spell after Bowen's goal, but other than that I thought we were the better team throughout. In fact, the Hammers were very unimpressive and I can see why there's a lot of angst from their fanbase.

Obviously we completely threw away the control we had but showed some quite incredible resilience to wrestle it back. I love the mentality of these players; they're a flawed team but their professionalism is absolutely A1. Sprinkle some attacking quality on top of that and Bob's your uncle: there's your sensational injury time winner. How we've missed a player like Harvey Barnes this season. 

/ . The penalties are really unfortunate but they're definitely penalties

/ . Gordon's sending off is maddening; it's such a crap rule

/ . Thought it was arguably Isak's best all-round performance in a Newcastle shirt

/ . Murphy was great at RB; what a shift he puts in for this team

/ . I can't really fault Howe for the subs, the logic was sound but Krafthy just had a stinker

/. 20 minutes total added time is a fucking joke

/ . Buzzing for @BermyToon and @LiquidAK, particularly the latter. A brilliant poster who's always seemed like an absolutely smashing lad and, seeing as it's very hard work for you to get to SJP, you really deserve that. :thup:

Great post as per :thup:

Absolutely agree on Murphy - grafts his bollocks off for this side since Eddie came in

Also agree on the 20 mins added. It can't fucking continue, can it?

Edited by toon25

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Third! Arsenal in 2004 (0-1) and Wigan in 2012 (3-0). So 2-1 wins to losses so far :D

Ah when Bigi scored? 

39 minutes ago, Checko said:

Second one is no way in hell a penalty. 'Oh but he kicked Gordon'. Doesn't matter. Football's not a no contact game.

Are you for real :lol: You can't just kick players in the leg that's got fuck all to do with a not a no contact game. Fortunately the officials knew that also

Edited by et tu brute

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Moyes cost them the game. We couldn’t defend all afternoon and they have some lethal attacking players. But they basically decided to give up on coming into our half from 55-60 mins onwards. 

Some of that is down to us and having to go all guns blazing. But I’d be livid if I were a West Ham fan.

Criminally mis-using some serious attacking weapons. 

Absolutely, I thought Schar had a poor game and was being run ragged with a tight hamstring. For them to take Antonio off and put Paqueta up there made his life so much easier

Even putting Bowen or Kudus up there would have stretched us and he had Ings and Cornet on the bench but brought on Ben Johnson

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Are you for real :lol: You can't just kick players in the leg that's got fuck all to do with a not a no contact game. Fortunately the officials knew that also

Its baffling. Where on the pitch is it allowed to kick a player? Pen all day long.