Newcastle United 5-1 Sheffield United (27/04/24) | Reaction: pg 33

Yorkie

Regarding Anderson, you've got an attacking player suddenly being asked to do defensive duties. So, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here that they're too busy worrying about where they should be defensively its fucked up everything else. 

Just now, TRon said:

Tbh I'm not sure what we've been doing on the training pitch. We look totally disjointed and the players don't seem to understand their roles at all here. Sheffield look far better organised as far as putting moves together.

Yeah, the last three halves of football we’ve looked like a bit of a rabble.  10 days off have not been useful

Anderson and Longstaff have been on the ball least for us (outside of Isak/ Dubs).

For being our midfielders, that's poor. They should be getting more involved and looking to controlling the game but they aren't really doing anything at all today.

Just now, OCK said:

Regarding Anderson, you've got an attacking player suddenly being asked to do defensive duties. So, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here that they're too busy worrying about where they should be defensively its fucked up everything else. 

He’s not very good at attacking for an attacking player mind.

Thought this would be a chilled watch but we look, awful. We aren't able to keep control because some god afwul passing. And then they (bottom of the table Sheffield United) carve us open on the break because it's so easy to do.

Longstaff seem devoid of confidence and we don't have the players to carry him right now.

2 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Anderson is very passive in possession and I'm having doubts he's going to make it with us unless he starts showing something we haven't seen yet. Like a goal maybe. 

He's been anonymous so far which is a surprise. Normally he wants to be involved in everything. Looks like Bruno is playing in that central area by himself at times, and he's not been at his best either. But I think that's because he's getting isolated.

Just now, Aiston said:

Anderson and Longstaff have been on the ball least for us (outside of Isak/ Dubs).

For being our midfielders, that's poor. They should be getting more involved and looking to controlling the game but they aren't really doing anything at all today.

Looks like midfield will be a priority in the summer?

The way we play we basically only have Bruno in the middle. The other 2 CMs both go and stand in a wide V ahead of him, often just standing there. There's no movement there at all. Then when we lose the ball there's absolutely no cover in the middle and we're so easy to counter on.

This has been the problem all season. Would much rather see us play more of a 4231. Keep one of our other CMs deeper so Bruno actually has someone to pass to in the middle and cover if he goes forward. Particularly as we've got 2 attacking fullbacks, we need another CM to sit in.

Think Tino and Hall have done well. Burn's made some brilliant blocks. Hopefully we step it up, but you feel like they have so much space when we lose the ball and our CBs are so slow that we're going to keep giving up chances.

Edited by Checko

3 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I'm starting to think that our players struggle when there's any pressure on them from a long term target. They went to shit last season when they'd got to the FA cup final, they've gone to shit this season when someone's told them we need to get high enough to get european footy next season.

I mean this is nonsense. We were under extreme pressure to get top four last season from around ten games out.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

He’s not very good at attacking for an attacking player mind.

I'm not saying he's amazing, he'll probably be a good Championship player, but at the moment its odd seeing how different he is compared to u21s and Bristol. 

23 minutes ago, TBG said:

Or you think back to the Spurs game with folk talking about 4th still being a possibility. Guessing we're closer to relegation fodder now.

Or you look at this performance and the palace one too..

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Eddie is predictable, he'll take Murphy off at some point, move Isak wide with Gordon switching or Isak taking up wide attacking role, and bring on Wilson.

Should he surprise everyone and leave Murphy on while taking off Isak and Gordon? :lol:

I wouldn’t even mind taking Longstaff off and putting Gordon as an 8 and bringing Barnes on. Longstaff is honestly terrible right now and has been all season

3 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Looks like midfield will be a priority in the summer?

We are missing Tonali, Joelinton, Willock and Miley.

4 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

I mean this is nonsense. We were under extreme pressure to get top four last season from around ten games out.

We took 5 points in the last 5 or something like that. Drawing against Leeds and almost giving away the game at home against Leicester, a game that we should never lose. But we did get it over the line in the end.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Pata said:

We are missing Tonali, Joelinton, Willock and Miley.

Honestly mate. It's tragic that we keep having to repeat this. I don't bother any more.