Newcastle United 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (11/05/24) | Reaction: pg 21

Yorkie

1 hour ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Bruno was like watching a 8 year old today, just ran around like a headless chicken

:serious:

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

When has Barnes looked like a world beater? Looks like he’s good for a goal every 3 games but very little else to me.

He's dug out out the deep shit several times and then looked like a naff divvy others. My point is next year we should hope to see some consistency from him rather than this Jekyll and Hyde figure we have now.

Ref was shocking today - Brighton seemed hell bent on time wasting from the 1st min. Ref did nothing about it.

3 minutes ago, duo said:

Ref was shocking today - Brighton seemed hell bent on time wasting from the 1st min. Ref did nothing about it.

Verbruggen must have had the ball at his feet for a good 15 minutes during the game without even a hurry up from the ref.

6 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Verbruggen must have had the ball at his feet for a good 15 minutes during the game without even a hurry up from the ref.

Agreed and I don't blame him in the slightest. He made it perfectly clear he was going to chew up as much time as possible from the first whistle and the spineless cunt allowed hi and the rest of the team to do it all afternoon. It's not their fault, an early yellow would probably have stopped it but he didn't show it so they continued to do it. They played him like a fiddle and I've got no problem with them at all. 

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Certainly not arrogant, but when folk are getting upset about a point at home against Brighton perspective is required.

Agreed 100% re folks being upset re a draw, but European qualification isn’t a booby prize

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed 100% re folks being upset re a draw, but European qualification isn’t a booby prize

I would consider the ECL to be. We are not attracting any top class players to come here if we're in it.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Love how you think we’re more attractive without it

Well obviously not, but no less attractive than being in it. If we were out of europe altogether we'd have a better chance of a season like last year and getting back into the CL. EL or nothing for me.

The ECL is a third tier cup competition, just like the Papa Johns trophy is in this country.

Just now, Beth said:

Well obviously not, but no less attractive than being in it. If we were out of europe altogether we'd have a better chance of a season like last year and getting back into the CL. EL or nothing for me.

The ECL is a third tier cup competition, just like the Papa Johns trophy is in this country.

It just isn’t.  Not even close.  If it is like anything it’s the League Cup - and I take it you didn’t bother with last year’s final in that competition 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

It just isn’t.  Not even close.  If it is like anything it’s the League Cup - and I take it you didn’t bother with last year’s final in that competition 

CL>EL>ECL

FA Cup>League Cup>Papa Johns Cup.

Both third tier cups.

Just now, Beth said:

CL>EL>ECL

FA Cup>League Cup>Papa Johns Cup.

Both third tier cups.

You think that the European Cup is the equivalent of the FA Cup?

Not sure if you’re taking the piss at this point.  

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s not a booby prize but the conference league is as Micky mouse as they come. It’s great for regular away fans to get some trips to previously not visited places, but even the final is played in a shite venue where we’d be lucky to get a 5k allocation.

UEFA have devalued the old cup winners cup and UEFA cup so much with its format, I honestly don’t see the appeal of random group games on a Thursday night against obscure teams, which then leaves us stuck with shitty 2pm kick offs every other Sunday.

West Ham got 4 million for winning the conference league it hasn’t moved them forward as a club, or made them more attractive to signings in anyway that I can see.

In saying all that yes we’d clearly celebrate winning it, there is a certain bragging right about being in Europe as well, but I certainly wouldn’t lose any sleep or think it harms us going forward if we missed out.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

It’s not a booby prize but the conference league is as Micky mouse as they come. It’s great for regular away fans to get some trips to previously not visited places, but even the final is played in a shite venue where we’d be lucky to get a 5k allocation.

UEFA have devalued the old cup winners cup and UEFA cup so much with its format, I honestly don’t see the appeal of random group games on a Thursday night against obscure teams, which then leaves us stuck with shitty 2pm kick offs every other Sunday.

West Ham got 4 million for winning the conference league it hasn’t moved them forward as a club, or made them more attractive to signings in anyway that I can see.

In saying all that yes we’d clearly celebrate winning it, there is a certain bragging right about being in Europe as well, but I certainly wouldn’t lose any sleep or think it harms us going forward if we missed out.

Call me arrogant or whatever you want, but I wouldn’t value winning the ECL as much as I would an FA or League Cup. Would feel small time almost. 

26 minutes ago, Beth said:

I would consider the ECL to be. We are not attracting any top class players to come here if we're in it.

Bull crap, we have already done it on 3 occasions and I’m sure we will again in the future. All before we were in Europe Comp for the first time in yonks. 

11 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Bull crap, we have already done it on 3 occasions and I’m sure we will again in the future. All before we were in Europe Comp for the first time in yonks. 

Well if we quailfy for the 7th place cup lets see who arrives in the summer.

51 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'd go along with that. Its one step up from the intertoto cup. I'd take it but the effect it would have on trying to get into the champions league could be argued to make it exactly a booby prize - unless we win it which the chances are against despite being favourites.

Some people want to be in Europe regardless, others don’t.

In all honesty though I think those who do want to be in it outweigh those who don’t.

Everyone was gutted that we didn’t win today and know that it makes it harder for us to get into Europe. This season has been difficult, and getting into Europe would be seen as a prize for getting through it.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Some people want to be in Europe regardless, others don’t.

In all honesty though I think those who do want to be in it outweigh those who don’t.

Everyone was gutted that we didn’t win today and know that it makes it harder for us to get into Europe. This season has been difficult, and getting into Europe would be seen as a prize for getting through it.

my kids had their first taste of an away european game this season and they loved it.

looking forward to more whether that be italy, spain or latvia and lithuania.

It is games like these that we needed more than just Bruno to be a creafive spark. When Bruno has his rare off-days (not so off yeaterday but not his best either), we need another top quality midfielder in there. The ones we have would run into a brick wall and work their socks off for the team but doesn't mean they are creative enough.

Step forward, Sandro Tonali, for next season.