Manchester United 3-2 Newcastle United (15/05/24) | Reaction: pg 53

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

In hindsight I think the main bulk of our issues came from Anderson & Longstaff making up two thirds of our midfield. Both were too slow (shock, horror) and offered little in the way of creativity, which you'd expect from Longstaff as that's not his game but we've completely stopped playing to his strengths. You're not winning many matches away from home in the PL with that midfield 3 trying to play that way.

I'd be tempted to loan Anderson next season if we have a good enough summer window.

I’d be more than happy to sell both players. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’d be more than happy to sell both players. 

I think Anderson is going to get there, it's just whether or not we can wait for him. A loan next season could be just what he needs. I'd hate to see us sell him now only for him to bounce back to the PL with someone else in 2/3 years and turn into an Adam Lallana or someone similar.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think Anderson is going to get there, it's just whether or not we can wait for him. A loan next season could be just what he needs. I'd hate to see us sell him now only for him to bounce back to the PL with someone else in 2/3 years and turn into an Adam Lallana or someone similar.

Not seeing it myself.

Anderson has the skill set IMO, just in the current make up of our style, not sure how he plays or gets consistent minutes. Like, if we stay with current set up, he’s competing with Willock/Joe on the left of the three. Bruno every minute going centrally, then Longstaff/Tonali on right, with Miley probably more left and central. 

Think he can do well LW, if Gordon then played RW/Central in games, but then we’ve signed Barnes for that LW.

Pathway sort of blocked for him. Agree a loan is required, as he needs a solid season of minutes now to really tune up his game which could come from a top end championship loan. Fair argument that if he does well, it’s either bring him back in, or potentially sell for a decent fee if there’s hype around him after that loan.

14 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Not seeing it myself.

We just need to use him more effectively. There's been worse players than Elliot Anderson play over 100 times for bigger & better clubs than Newcastle in the Premier League. He's only 21, some players don't do a great deal until they're 23/24. Some players fizzle out by the time they're 24/25. Everyone's development is different, just because they're not shit hot at an early age it doesn't mean they're never going to become effective in this league.

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

To me. It’s when there is something meaningful at stake. Or perhaps against a big stadium or team. Then the players freeze, play a bit scared and/or safe and make poor mistakes all the while. Bottling their chance to win X, qualify etc. 

Last night certainly felt like that to me. I don’t think we were undone against a brilliant team. Bar Fernandes and Mainoo. Plus the odd moment from Casemiro and Amrabat (they were shit in the main, otherwise). They were crap as a collective. We were just even worse, or worse in the moments that mattered at either end. 

I think thats what makes everything so much worse because they are dogshit and we know how good we are on our day. 

Even when we are lacking that energy or desire we don't get any luck, it seems that fate has already decided our destiny that we'll get fuck all. 

But despite our marginal superiority, you take a step back and think how many of these players are actually the real deal. 

11 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Anderson has the skill set IMO, just in the current make up of our style, not sure how he plays or gets consistent minutes. Like, if we stay with current set up, he’s competing with Willock/Joe on the left of the three. Bruno every minute going centrally, then Longstaff/Tonali on right, with Miley probably more left and central. 

Think he can do well LW, if Gordon then played RW/Central in games, but then we’ve signed Barnes for that LW.

Pathway sort of blocked for him. Agree a loan is required, as he needs a solid season of minutes now to really tune up his game which could come from a top end championship loan. Fair argument that if he does well, it’s either bring him back in, or potentially sell for a decent fee if there’s hype around him after that loan.

I can see him ending up a CM like Ross Barkley maybe, not too quick or dynamic but with good skill and a decent brain. Don't think it'll be enough to play at the very top but he could still have a good career. 

9 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Man Utd were oddly and uncharacteristically clinical. Their performance didn't warrant 3 goals, that was on us and we only have ourselves to blame for that, plus missing gilt edged chances at the other end. Tough to take in such an important game but we have been a bit flat for a while. Weird season.

I think it is just the little moments. The right pass that is just not executed quite right, too hard, too soft, too close to an opponent. Or not seen when it is one. Don’t want to join in with the digging out of certain players. We know where we need to improve the choices available.

On the plus side, the very fact that we saw a lot of the above last night means that we found ourselves in many good positions to punish them. Probably created more opportunities there than we pretty much ever have. We just need a few players who will/can provide that small percentage extra craft which increases the probability of decent performances turning into wins.
Plus there is no place for the kind of defensive errors we made in a side with ambitions to be consistently top six. 

Old Trafford bingo:

Situated next to home fans to see a group of (presumably) Asian tourist fans turn up 15 mins late to take their seats

Got beat

Asked for directions by Irish bloke on leaving ground

Road closures on A1

Full house.

3 hours ago, SiLvOR said:

That 3v1 chance is gonna be swirling round my head most of the day I think :lol:

That and Man United's 2nd goal.

How can we watch Man United in that first half try hit every corner to their man on the edge of the box and make no plans to stop that danger for the 2nd half :lol:

45 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Sorry. 

No worries mate. Sorry I didn’t know where the nearest strippers was.

One thing that did make me laugh is how much Roy Keane genuinely dislikes us. 

So many unnecessary digs throughout the night. 

That wank's his dog chant really must've gotten under his skin. 

Gordon's goal was terrific as was the cross from Murphy. I've watched it a few times and I don't think that Murphy even looked up which is mostly the case. He just hits the cross hoping it finds one of our players which most times it doesn't 

34 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

One thing that did make me laugh is how much Roy Keane genuinely dislikes us. 

So many unnecessary digs throughout the night. 

That wank's his dog chant really must've gotten under his skin. 

He has a massive chip on his shoulder. 

Posted (edited)

absolutely gutted about the result last night, but not at all surprised 

annoyingly had to miss the game so just catching up with highlights and the reaction 

who won the the battle of the Brunos? did ETH out-tactic Howe or just pure luck again? 

the penalty not given was a joke but entirely in keeping with our luck at these grounds

I will never expect us to win at Old Trafford and the likes until we start doing so on a semi-regulalar basis 

our record away to the 'big six' this season is in keeping with most seasons - apart from Spurs,  we only ever get the odd draw and are usually well beaten 

also seems that MU up their game against the bigger clubs (I think they see us in that bracket now) and this season far more likely to lose at home to the likes of Bournemouth - City and Arsenal are the only teams above them to have won there  

not sure if that's a player mentality thing or their fans - probably a combination of both

also I think to a certain extent we've sacrificed the defensive solidity of last season for scoring more goals, though to be fair a lot of our defensive frailties have been down to injuries, Pope in particular 

unfortunately as I said before the game, I love how we can score goals against anyone, but never confident with the amount of chances we give up, especially away from home 

2 goals at Old Trafford, at  Stamford Bridge and at Anfield this season, without a single point to show for it is quite concerning

Brentford could go either way same as last night 

Edited by Ginola14

Feels like the current squad struggles when the pressure is on. Last season we were flying until the last 5 games. Then we took 6 points from the last 5 when thew pressure was on, dropping points to Leeds and almost throwing away the game at home to Leicester towards the end of the game after total domination without scoring up until then. Luckily we already had enough points to get there. Lost the final to Man Utd. Got unlucky in CL, but lost the final game to Milan. After finding some form in march/april, we now lost the form when the pressure was on for the last 3 games, while Chelsea won 2 away games in a row, something that they had struggled with this season.

17 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Feels like the current squad struggles when the pressure is on. Last season we were flying until the last 5 games. Then we took 6 points from the last 5 when thew pressure was on, dropping points to Leeds and almost throwing away the game at home to Leicester towards the end of the game after total domination without scoring up until then. Luckily we already had enough points to get there. Lost the final to Man Utd. Got unlucky in CL, but lost the final game to Milan. After finding some form in march/april, we now lost the form when the pressure was on for the last 3 games, while Chelsea won 2 away games in a row, something that they had struggled with this season.

We’ve got too many players who know it could be their last chance to succeed in that situation, frankly. Professional, dedicated, likeable but ultimately short of the required quality and winning mentality. Unfortunately they all need marginalising or binning off if we’re going to progress.

16 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Did I hear the commentator right..."Man United haven't lost after going ahead in a league game at Old Trafford since 1984" !?! Surely I misheard or that's a lie.

He said that they haven't lost a home league game since 1984 when leading at half time, which apparently is true.

16 minutes ago, Teslact said:

He said that they haven't lost a home league game since 1984 when leading at half time, which apparently is true.

Suppose it helps when there's no pens given on the ground to the opposition in 40 years 

8 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Can’t decide who I hate more. These whinging cunts or the perennial chip on their shoulder Scousers. 

Biggest problem is when they play eachother, you just hope they both lose somehow and the stadium collapses at the end