Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

1 hour ago, Deuce said:

Y’all are really gonna snide your way to the trophy.

We are really not.

We will likely play the Netherlands in the next round, which will be a more difficult game than what we have played so far, and then if we did get past them, we will likely play Italy. We won’t get past both of them.

On the off chance we do get to the final, look at the teams we will be up against.

5 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Why did he do brilliantly though? Surely he just beat the teams you’d expect him to? If we’d lost to Germany at home, Ukraine, Colombia or Sweden we wouldn’t be accepting that. 

He’s a lovely bloke no doubt and I like a lot of his positive impacts on the team as a whole, but he hasn’t achieved anything special on the pitch. He’s had his honeymoon period and he’s getting found out now if he hasn’t before. 

There's been 38 World Cup & European Championships, the 5 best have been:

WC1966

Euro2020

WC1990

WC2018

Euro96

Two of those under Southgate. We've had easier draws, better teams who've not achieved what Southgate has. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

We've been starting:

La Liga's player of the season who got 19 goals from midfield.

The Premier League's player of the season who got 19 goals from midfield.

The top scorer in the Bundesliga with 36 goals.

One of the best wingers in the country who scored 16 goals last season.

We've scored two goals.  Have all these players coming off the best seasons of their careers suddenly turned shit at the same time, or is it just bad management?

Edited by Troll

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

This is a bit like Newcastle under Bruce or Pardew though, even though we might win a game or two, it's absolutely shite and completely unsustainable. Would you have any confidence in us beating a decent side playing like we have so far? 

Absolutely none and I agree with your post, but I didn't boo Bruce or the team then either. Largely because my belief was that the team were trying although Bruce wasn't (even though they clearly weren't giving their all but likely because of low morale and mismanagement).

I don't think that will be said at international level, they're all being pro's and respectful and showing unity. However, I reckon behind closed doors they're all thinking WTF too.

I'm with KI and Yorkie on this. It's deeply frustrating to see it ending this way partially because it will rewrite the history of Southgate's tenure overall into something that just isn't true imo. It's been a period of relative success, the best in most of our lifetimes, despite the complaints that we only beat the teams we're expected to beat and have just gotten lucky (as if that's something that past England teams have done on the regular). The frustration that's always been there from some has turned into pure hate with the seeming vindication and it's grim to see, neither Southgate or the players deserve that.

I really hope he sees the difference that Palmer and Gordon made when they came on and switches it up in the knockouts. We're on the "right" side of the draw, it's looking unlikely but if we click then it's on.

8 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Forever the optimist but we look like a team that would be screwed if we let in the first goal in a game.

3 games in and I think the manager doesn't know his best starting 11 and will keep on doing the same thing now as he will believe it's working.

We struggle against teams that defend well and currently can’t break the lines and play through them.

Positively we might have more opportunities breaking on a team that has more possession, like a France or Spain. Negatively our back four looks like a panic attack waiting to happen and the 6 midfielders/forwards would probably butcher chances on the break based on their massively confused roles and overlapping positions. They’re like molecules in a jar at the moment.

22 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I'm with KI and Yorkie on this. It's deeply frustrating to see it ending this way partially because it will rewrite the history of Southgate's tenure overall into something that just isn't true imo. It's been a period of relative success, the best in most of our lifetimes, despite the complaints that we only beat the teams we're expected to beat and have just gotten lucky (as if that's something that past England teams have done on the regular). The frustration that's always been there from some has turned into pure hate with the seeming vindication and it's grim to see, neither Southgate or the players deserve that.

I really hope he sees the difference that Palmer and Gordon made when they came on and switches it up in the knockouts. We're on the "right" side of the draw, it's looking unlikely but if we click then it's on.

The frustrating thing for me is that we’re seemingly throwing away a great opportunity to win a tournament. I couldn’t care less about Southgate’s legacy, I want to see us win. I’m not sure why some people on here are so wound up by other people “hating” Southgate more than they are about us limping out of the easiest group in the tournament’s history, scoring 2 goals with the strongest attacking lineup we’ve ever had.

It’s reading like “ooh I hope he changes the team and we win so that people like him” more than “ooh I hope he changes the team and we wound so that we actually win something”. Bizarre, just weird.

Edited by Shearergol

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

The frustrating thing for me is that we’re seemingly throwing away a great opportunity to win a tournament. I couldn’t care less about Southgate’s legacy, I want to see us win. I’m not sure why some people on here are so wound up by other people “hating” Southgate more than they are about us limping out of the easiest group in the tournament’s history, scoring 2 goals with the strongest attacking lineup we’ve ever had.

It’s reading like “ooh I hope he changes the team and we win so that people like him” more than “ooh I hope he changes the team and we wound so that we actually win something”. Bizarre, just weird.

I don't really care how it's reading to you.

I want us to win and win convincingly, it's sad that it's not happening because we might not win the tournament. I'm also sad that it's going to impact how this team and manager is viewed moving forward. I am capable of both.

Hopefully that's cleared that up for you.

10 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Hey, @Froggy, enjoy Southgate as manager. 

Fairly hilarious that the media even tried to paint him as a potential candidate. He's completely hopeless. He doesn't seem like the worst guy in the world at the same time so would have hated him being appointed for his own sake. He'd have been hounded out from day one.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

I don't really care how it's reading to you.

I want us to win and win convincingly, it's sad that it's not happening because we might not win the tournament. I'm also sad that it's going to impact how this team and manager is viewed moving forward. I am capable of both.

Hopefully that's cleared that up for you.

I mean it was already clear, but thanks. I just don’t understand the love for Southgate, but I guess I’m one of the reasons why we’re struggling in this tournament given I’ve criticised him previously. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that jazz yeah.

We’re going to ignore all of the “as soon as England face a top side they lose” stats over the last 6 years and pretend they’re only true now. Ok.

Just now, Shearergol said:

I mean it was already clear, but thanks. I just don’t understand the love for Southgate, but I guess I’m one of the reasons why we’re struggling in this tournament given I’ve criticised him previously. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that jazz yeah.

We’re going to ignore all of the “as soon as England face a top side they lose” stats over the last 6 years and pretend they’re only true now. Ok.

I mean you don't have to love him. There's a pretty big gulf between that and "it's not okay to say the man should be strung up for failings at football management" which is the part I feel most strongly about.

The argument has been had a million times, but I always find it funny that Germany is ignored from the list of "top sides" because they weren't in a good spot. That's always felt so pick-and-choosey to suit the narrative that we never beat the big teams.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I mean you don't have to love him. There's a pretty big gulf between that and "it's not okay to say the man should be strung up for failings at football management" which is the part I feel most strongly about.

The argument has been had a million times, but I always find it funny that Germany is ignored from the list of "top sides" because they weren't in a good spot. That's always felt so pick-and-choosey to suit the narrative that we never beat the big teams.

1 win in 5 against Germany. 

For the record (I’m well aware it doesn’t matter) I don’t want him strung up. I want him to hand his notice in as soon as we’re out of the tournament, like he should have done before the World Cup. I want to forget about him and move on to the next chapter. Hopefully he’ll find a nice coaching job somewhere and have a very happy life.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

1 win in 5 against Germany. 

For the record (I’m well aware it doesn’t matter) I don’t want him strung up. I want him to hand his notice in as soon as we’re out of the tournament, like he should have done before the World Cup. I want to forget about him and move on to the next chapter. Hopefully he’ll find a nice coaching job somewhere and have a very happy life.

1 loss in 5, and we beat them when it mattered in the knockouts of a major tournament, something that is used as a stick to beat Southgate with for supposedly always falling short.

I was formerly a defender of Southgate despite the relatively turgid football and tactical failings in key games, but he's completely and utterly ran out of road. It feels like an absolute mess at the minute.

You've got a striker who scored 44 club goals popping up in defensive midfield just to get a touch because there's absolutely no service. A supposed Ballon D'Or candidate who looked brilliant as a no.8 in the last tournament shoehorned into no.10 and standing on the toes of Foden all the time, who clearly doesn't like playing on the left and drifts central. A constant yawning chasm of space on our left flank and a plethora of wide players with pace sat on the bench. Rice despite having an excellent season looks like a carthorse in this system and we're still pissing about experimenting on who partners him three games in. Saka is a total non-event but won't get dropped. No (fit) natural left back picked in the squad meaning the whole thing looks chronically lopsided.

The way he's managing to get such a low level of performance out of these players is genuinely staggering and it doesn't look like it's any fun to play in this side either. 

I get the feeling those clamouring for Palmer and Gordon on Sunday will be left disappointed. Fully expect Mainoo to start despite looking absolutely ordinary other than that one deft touch at the death, but Gareth hasn't got the arsehole to drop Foden or Bellingham, or to play Bellingham at 8. Jude's last two performances have been of someone who looks frustrated and isolated in the position he's in and he didn't even arse himself into a sweat for most of last night.

The whole thing is built on a house of cards and soon as we encounter a side with genuine attacking threat and concede a goal in a knockout tie, we won't be able to break them down.

England now have a squad that is probably in the top 3 at the tournament but are being let down by poor management rather than lack of talent. Can anyone defend bringing Gordon on in the 89th minute? What was the point? Of course people are going to get frustrated at that. 2018 was a great story as the squad massively overachieved, Southgate was the hero but now the script has reversed.

What then makes it toxic is when the manager and players come out and tell people their eyes are wrong, and a poor performance was really a good one.

Southgate did do well for the majority of his time but the time to leave should've been after the last world cup that felt natural time to move on, classic FA bootlicking to give him such a long contract.

I think the signs for this tournament have been there for a while, we've not looked that good for a while now.

Edited by El Prontonise