Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

I don't understand how anyone can possibly think it's a good idea to drop Saka, he's been consistently one of if not our best players for the last 3 years, he's World Class, and he's done more than most this tournament (still not much admittedly). 

There's two major problems for me, the left side is completely fucked, Trippier isn't good enough to play LB, he's wasteful with the ball, no link up with Foden, Foden was visibly frustrated with him 4-5 times last night for either completely missing the pass to him or under/overhitting it, we need to take Trippier out of the team, Shaw will get zero minutes most likely in the tournament, and I don't trust Trent defensively, the only area ironically that we've looked solid in the tournament, so I would play Gomez there. 

Second issue is the CM spot alongside Rice, as many others have suggested this seems a very easy fix, play Bellingham deeper, put Foden as a 10 and play Gordon. Beyond infuriating that he brought Gordon on 88th minute ffs, and even still he created something and looked a threat in the tiny amount of time he had. 

Sadly Southgate's too stubborn to change, and it will very likely be his and our downfall, so I assume next game he'll make just one change with Mainoo coming in for Gallagher, a positive change at least as Mainoo looked good in the 2nd half. 

The upside is we'll now play against teams who are more progressive and come at us more so we'll create more, but the balance of the team is wrong and we'll likely need a lot of luck to go deep in this tournament. Already, once again, Southgate is running pure with how the draw's playing out, let's see how far that takes us. 

One thing I can say for absolute certain is if we do somehow win the Euros this Summer, I'll be inspite of Southgate, not because of him!

20 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

I don't understand how anyone can possibly think it's a good idea to drop Saka, he's been consistently one of if not our best players for the last 3 years, he's World Class, and he's done more than most this tournament (still not much admittedly). 

There's two major problems for me, the left side is completely fucked, Trippier isn't good enough to play LB, he's wasteful with the ball, no link up with Foden, Foden was visibly frustrated with him 4-5 times last night for either completely missing the pass to him or under/overhitting it, we need to take Trippier out of the team, Shaw will get zero minutes most likely in the tournament, and I don't trust Trent defensively, the only area ironically that we've looked solid in the tournament, so I would play Gomez there. 

Second issue is the CM spot alongside Rice, as many others have suggested this seems a very easy fix, play Bellingham deeper, put Foden as a 10 and play Gordon. Beyond infuriating that he brought Gordon on 88th minute ffs, and even still he created something and looked a threat in the tiny amount of time he had. 

Sadly Southgate's too stubborn to change, and it will very likely be his and our downfall, so I assume next game he'll make just one change with Mainoo coming in for Gallagher, a positive change at least as Mainoo looked good in the 2nd half. 

The upside is we'll now play against teams who are more progressive and come at us more so we'll create more, but the balance of the team is wrong and we'll likely need a lot of luck to go deep in this tournament. Already, once again, Southgate is running pure with how the draw's playing out, let's see how far that takes us. 

One thing I can say for absolute certain is if we do somehow win the Euros this Summer, I'll be inspite of Southgate, not because of him!

I agree with all of this 

As much as I agree its wild to drop Saka, there is something clearly not even right with him either. And maybe it's more to do with what is around him. Palmer came on and looked far more creative in his passing, take ons and movement. 

9 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Just his lass giving birth.

aye.

was shocked that they were having their 3 rd kid as in my head he was still about21.

he's 24, but still... good luck.

we have 4 teenagers but i was in my 30s when we started.

Damn if this had happened just three days later Southgate could've been forced into the best change he's ever made at a tournament. 

Shame he'll probably still start the same team that started against Slovenia.

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Damn if this had happened just three days later Southgate could've been forced into the best change he's ever made at a tournament. 

Shame he'll probably still start the same team that started against Slovenia.

nah, foden will be shattered. will rest him.

3 hours ago, huss9 said:

what on southgate's cv got him this job?

i thought he'd been massively successful with the u18's or u21's or something.

Big Sam got him the job by being a gullible fool.

Very much the biggest sliding doors moment of English football in the last 20 years (aside from the penalty misses in the final against Italy)

39 minutes ago, huss9 said:

nah, foden will be shattered. will rest him.

You could say that for 5/6 other players as well. He had the chance to do that against Slovenia from the off, or at least make changes early to rest them and he didn't do it. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

You could say that for 5/6 other players as well. He had the chance to do that against Slovenia from the off, or at least make changes early to rest them and he didn't do it. 

yeah but foden has 2 young kids and  will be bringing another baby home. then flight back to germany. no training 2-3 days.

he wont start.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

yeah but foden has 2 young kids and  will be bringing another baby home. then flight back to germany. no training 2-3 days.

he wont start.

I can absolutely see where you're coming from based on the fact he's having to go home and come back etc. but I just saying I would not be shocked to see the same team.

Foden won't have to do sweet FA when he goes back home, it's not like he'll be having sleepless night looking after a newborn, they'll have multiple nannies and what not. He might even just go back home for the one night and then come back for all we know.

Gotta say this has been one of the most pathetic groups in any tournament in my lifetime. England been poor and we (Denmark) and Slovenia are both through without winning any games. All of the games were boring and a turgid watch.