Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

Just now, huss9 said:

you said we've never been as bad in a tournament under soutgate before.

we have.

Nah, not a chance imo. Scotland is the only one which compares because we were crap that night, and they did a great job of rattling us. But against Denmark we literally couldn't string two passes together. It's the only time we've looked like a team of total strangers.  

If Thursday is the same as those other performances then ultimately we can still feel confident of going very deep in the competition again. But it was far worse for me.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Nah, not a chance imo. Scotland is the only one which compares because we were crap that night, and they did a great job of rattling us. But against Denmark we literally couldn't string two passes together. It's the only time we've looked like a team of total strangers.  

If Thursday is the same as those other performances then ultimately we can still feel confident of going very deep in the competition again. But it was far worse for me.

where do you get the faith in southgate's tactical nous from?

i'm 100% with you about what he's done off the pitch for england.

but he's failed every time he's needed to affect an important game.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

where do you get the faith in southgate's tactical nous from?

i'm 100% with you about what he's done off the pitch for england.

but he's failed every time he's needed to affect an important game.

I don't have much faith at this point, and nor have I ever thought he was a tactical genius. As usual I'm just disputing the notion that he's been a bag of shit for England and held us back. For me, the opposite is true but  on the basis of this tournament so far, I'm starting to believe that he should've had the handshake after Qatar.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I don't have much faith at this point, and nor have I ever thought he was a tactical genius. As usual I'm just disputing the notion that he's been a bag of shit for England and held us back. For me, the opposite is true but  on the basis of this tournament so far, I'm starting to believe that he should've had the handshake after Qatar.

what did you make of his performance against italy in the final?

be honest.

43 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think he's been a bag of shit for us, and certainly in terms of the culture and representing the country he's done an exceptional job. 

But he's a very limited football manager and that's been evident for a long time. And I still maintain despite the plaudits he gets for tournament progress we've generally looked poor and folded at the first sight of real opposition. As you say this is a somewhat done to death argument at this point. 

Those fitness quotes this morning are suspect like. Even if it's true, you can't throw your players under the bus like that.

It just looks like he's seen the comments about England not pressing, and then shifted all the blame from himself for not implementing that style of play.

Really surprising considering his main strength is supposed to be team unity and fostering cohesion.

Always thought too much is read into the Italian game. Yes I agree it was our best ever chance of winning something as personally thought our team was at its peak (and better than the current one) but Italy came into that tournament unbeaten under Mancini (?) having their best streak of form ever for the Italian national side ever was it not? Early goals are always misleading and it’s not as if we lost the game in. 120mins. Just bottled the penalties after supposedly pick our best 5 takers.

6 hours ago, huss9 said:

the more he opens his mouth, the more he shows himself up.

Reminds me of Bruce every time he speaks these days. 

Just utter toss. Plucking concepts from thin air that he knows fuck all about and that he reckons we want to hear.

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Always thought too much is read into the Italian game. Yes I agree it was our best ever chance of winning something as personally thought our team was at its peak (and better than the current one) but Italy came into that tournament unbeaten under Mancini (?) having their best streak of form ever for the Italian national side ever was it not? Early goals are always misleading and it’s not as if we lost the game in. 120mins. Just bottled the penalties after supposedly pick our best 5 takers.

Southgate didn’t have a clue what to do in that game at half time. Mancini knew exactly what to do. Talk about a tactical mismatch.

Seen this film before....

We will make some tweaks for the last group game and  win 3.0.

Get a lucky draw against one of the 3rd place teams.. smash them.

Go into the QF full of hope

Take a one nil lead  in the first 15 mins.

freeze.

Let a late goal in

Lose on pens.

The PR offensive from the England camp is frightning. They shouldn't be fighting back. They should be accepting the criticism and changing.

I was worried this would happen. Southgate is having his Hitler in the bunker moment. He's not changing now.

18 minutes ago, Beren said:

Kane's comments [emoji38] Just take the justified criticism on the chin.

It's Tory levels of PR these days.

'We haven't played the way we wanted', 'we're not pressing well', 'we haven't fulfilled our potential', rinse and repeat. 

23 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It's Tory levels of PR these days.

'We haven't played the way we wanted', 'we're not pressing well', 'we haven't fulfilled our potential', rinse and repeat. 

Also decrying analysts from saying what we can all see - as though the simpleton masses wouldn't otherwise know. [emoji38] Embarrassing.