Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

It doesn’t help that when he’s interviewed he just sounds so insipid. Honestly think that’s what puts people off more than anything.

It's a matter of taste at this point but I don't see it like that personally, I quite like that the national manager is a bit more reserved

Have always found him to come across dignified, earnest and measured. Was an incredible antidote to the utter piss we had poured on us as NUFC fans between 2019-21.

Makes sense to give his preferred team another go, to try and perfect it, with the insurance of already having won a game. If it's truly ineffective, bin it. 

It's a mistake, everyone knows it, apart from Southgate. It's like a worse situation of when Lampard and Gerrard used to be played in the same team, except now we're suffering in two positions while having a squad that could be so much more.

Still think Southgate doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. Look at his interview today - England have to 'play better' apparently. It's the same after every game.

He's a great front man and spokesperson (especially for the FA), and probably could do an 'upstairs' role at a club, but I'll never be convinced he's anywhere near a decent coach. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Have always found him to come across dignified, earnest and measured. Was an incredible antidote to the utter piss we had poured on us as NUFC fans between 2019-21.

Makes sense to give his preferred team another go, to try and perfect it, with the insurance of already having won a game. If it's truly ineffective, bin it. 

Has he got pictures of you in the buff?

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

On 17/06/2024 at 08:05, Likelylad said:

One thing i've noticed on social media today, is that supporters of specific teams are looking to defend their own players to any criticism.

I've seen Liverpool fans refusing to admit that TAA wasn't particularly great in CM, City fans blaming Bellingham for Foden's poor performance and Man U fans whinging that it's all because Rashford isn't there.

Every normal LFC fan has been saying this for ages - TAA is a great attacking RB and not a midfielder. His best performances have always been with Fabinho and Henderson pressing the hell out of the opposition. Then he had Salah upfront pinning the opposition. Give him that platform, and TAA will put in pinpoint crosses to Kane every minute of the game.  

11 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

Can't imagine myself ever hating him tbh. Disagree with some of his decisions, but after what he's done for the culture of the team over his tenure, hatred? Even before you get into our vastly improved tournament performances under him. 

Reading shite like that makes me feel so disconnected from other England fans, it's wild.

ok fair enough. he seems a decent fella and a good man manager.

but he's inept tactically.

think the rage is from that italy final... he did absolutely nothing to to try and win it. and admitted he was more worried about losing it.

Edited by huss9

As much as I like Stones there were times in the second half against Serbia when he looked like he was towing a caravan trying to get back in position... If Southgate wants TAA in the team then for me the option is Walker to centre half alongside Guehi and TAA at right back...

Gordon comes in on the left and him and Saka work their nuts off up and down the line, we have excellent options on the wing for second half changes if / when needed, plus as good as Walker is defensively he's the opposite going forward as shown by the sitter he missed in the first game.

Chatting to my builder this morning and he asked me would I take a shit performance and a win or a good performance and a loss. We disagreed :lol: What would you guys prefer?

26 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Chatting to my builder this morning and he asked me would I take a shit performance and a win or a good performance and a loss. We disagreed :lol: What would you guys prefer?

Touranment football isn't it, gotta be a win every time.

Yeah I can't dislike the bloke, he's a good egg he's just a limited coach. And tbh to him, we've had horrible blokes who are also bad coaches so I'd rather Southgate than an absolute knob. 

If it's unchanged and Gordon doesn't come on for 20 mins, on his head be it! No point getting worked up about it cause this is what we have. 

44 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Touranment football isn't it, gotta be a win every time.

Yeah that was exactly my thought. You get the win, then you can rest everyone for the next game and try something new. If you play well and lose anything could happen in the next game. Early red card etc.

He wanted to see England play well, which I get, but at this point it’s just about getting it done.

Worth noting as well that we were dreadful in the group stage at Euro 2020 and ended up getting to the final, playing really well against Germany, battering Ukraine and a good perfowncne against Denmark in the Semis.

So yeah, it's all about getting through and hopefully getting better from there. Win tonight and we've won the group too (I'm assuming we don't lose to Slovenia) which is important and can rest players/try a couple new things on Tuesday night and crack on from there

Edited by NUFCDoog

14 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Whilst I agree with this point in principal I don't know if a tournament with as few games as this gives you that luxury. Foden/TAA were just so obviously not working I don't see what he intends to find out by trying it again.

Maybe England have just somehow been put with the three other most boring teams in the competition. Every other group has been high scoring and/or has had some great goals scored.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Maybe England have just somehow been put with the three other most boring teams in the competition. Every other group has been high scoring and/or has had some great goals scored.

Less the group of death, more the group of yawn.