James Trafford

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

It makes logical sense in that if you go big on a 'keeper it means Pope also has to be replaced because he's far too good to be a number 2.

Doing it this way means that we spend less, Pope stays, there's less disruption, we have better backup, and Trafford can potentially replace Pope in the way it's becoming apparent that Tino will replace Trippier.

Could still see us buying a number 1 to replace Pope in a year or two. Can't see us losing money on Trafford at the price were looking to buy for.

10 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I get this but surely he needs games as this time in his career, surely pope would still be a starter...

This is my problem, it’s hard to gain experience as a backup keeper without either being loaned out or first choice getting a big injury. It’s not like other positions where players need resting or subbing off after 60 minutes. If Pope stays fit then we’ve spent £20m on someone that barely plays.

Just now, Kimbo said:

This is my problem, it’s hard to gain experience as a backup keeper without either being loaned out or first choice getting a big injury. It’s not like other positions where players need resting or subbing off after 60 minutes. If Pope stays fit then we’ve spent £20m on someone that barely plays.

I get what you are saying and for me Trafford has all of the bits to his game to be a top keeper. However, that will only come together with playing.

Saying that Liverpool’s back up keeper looks quality and he has played less football than Trafford, despite being 25.

Either he fulfills his potential or we recoup or profit from the 16m fee so it's not that big a gamble. There's always the chance that we sign an established top goalie in a few years anyway.

17 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

So what is the issue then?

I think the issue is he's looked really weak in senior men's football so we're gambling on him filling out and being more dominant. 

Hopefully that comes with age

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think the issue is he's looked really weak in senior men's football so we're gambling on him filling out and being more dominant. 

This. Not rocket science to understand instead of being weirdly difficult for no reason. If we can afford the deal without affecting other more important issues (1st eleven) then I’m perfectly fine with it. I don’t rate him as of now. He might get better in a couple of years when he isn’t. a lamb anymore. I prefer a solid influence with leadership between the sticks. Long term it might be a good signing. Not even sure if he will get game time to develop. Unless we plan to loan him out with a recall option. 

Edited by Ikon

Posted (edited)

Trafford is young/home grown and Burnley have just been relegated. These opportunistic signings are becoming a trademark for us.

Like Hall and Tino we are buying potential here.

Edited by Smal

The fact that he’s a Man City product is a good sign imo. Fits the pattern of buying promising young English players (Gordon, Tino, Hall) to develop for the long-term.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Fair point too.

Everyone on here said Pope wasn't an improvement on Dubs. 

I think he's good, I'd trust him now at 22 over dubs or Karius. 5 years time he'll be England no1.

Just now, Dokko said:

Everyone on here said Pope wasn't an improvement on Dubs. 

I think he's good, I'd trust him now at 22 over dubs or Karius. 5 years time he'll be England no1.

I'm pretty sure people were saying the same about Woodman

1 minute ago, Deuce said:

The fact that he’s a Man City product is a good sign imo. Fits the pattern of buying promising young English players (Gordon, Tino, Hall) to develop for the long-term.

Think I'm just worried he's going to turn into another Bazunu

Just now, joeyt said:

I'm pretty sure people were saying the same about Woodman

Saying what? Woodman was missing a lot in his game, especially height which he couldn't fix. This is not the same situation. 

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

It's an era of Newcastle United I never thought I'd see, where we're seeing England Under 21 internationals as bad signings. 

Crackers. Him and Gordon starred in that tourney.

11 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You would expect it to come with age, it is rare to see a player that is a unit at such a young age and if the club wants to specifically develop that part of his game we can, like we have done with Anderson.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Saying what? Woodman was missing a lot in his game, especially height which he couldn't fix. This is not the same situation. 

That he was going to be the next England number 1 because he'd played well in the various England youth teams

Trafford has looked so weak this season from crosses, hopefully with age he'll get better

Just now, joeyt said:

That he was going to be the next England number 1 because he'd played well in the various England youth teams

Trafford has looked so weak this season from crosses, hopefully with age he'll get better

Don't think so. I said that about pickford at Sunderland though. 

Posted (edited)

I heard stuff about ‘if Burnley changed their keeper earlier they might’ve had a better chance’. Don’t know if true like. Was he the one brought in or taken out?

edit:

answered above 

Edited by Superior Acuña