James Trafford

The Tosin saga probably fucked our plans of signing a new #1 but there's no way we could have gone into a new season with Dubravka as second choice. 

Relatively cheap fee and we've seen the effect of Howe and his coaching staff on other players, I'll trust the club's judgement on this one. 

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Is a new GK really what we need? Trafford looked poor this season.

I'm not sure how you could watch last season and come to any other conclusion....

6 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Let’s trust the scouting process, it’s never let us down yet. 

Yeah, that's where I'm at. In terms of playing talent, they haven't signed a dud yet.

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Is a new GK really what we need? Trafford looked poor this season.

We have one who has question marks over his shoulder and feet and another who is finished. I think alongside CB it's the biggest priority. 

RW is important but at least we have serviceable options and backup there even if they're not top 6 class. If Pope doesn't regain his form or gets injured again, it's another season lost almost. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

We have one who has question marks over his shoulder and feet and another who is finished. I think alongside CB it's the biggest priority. 

RW is important but at least we have serviceable options and backup there even if they're not top 6 class. If Pope doesn't regain his form or gets injured again, it's another season lost almost. 

I get this but is a young GK who got dropped from Burnley last season what we need?

We probably looked at Mamardashvilli but since Tosin has gone elsewhere we need to spend money on a CB - so the budget option is the goer instead.

I'd personally rather a straight #1 but I don't think this is a bad shout tbh. He had a rough season last year but clearly has potential and unlike other promising youth keepers (e.g. Woodman) he is massive. At the end of the day 21 is very young for a goalie. Nick Pope was at Welling Utd at that age.

Just now, NSG said:

I’d keep Dubravka and loan out Trafford, but with a recall in case Pope gets a significant injury.

Think we could only register him in January in that case so it doesn't give a lot of flexibility.

1 minute ago, NSG said:

I’d keep Dubravka and loan out Trafford, but with a recall in case Pope gets a significant injury.

you can only recall in January, so if Pope gets fucked in say September or February that'll be fun watching Dubravka again.

Time for Dubravka to leave

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

sddefault.jpg

Still of the view he helped stop us get relegated. Couldn't finish but led the line for us and let us begin to implement proper pressing.

Playing as number 1 for Burnley who basically got pezzled every week isn't really a strong indicator of what you're getting I suppose.

I trust the club's judgment and scouting on this one. Obviously England see something in him as well as he's in and around the squad at the age of 21.

Looked very decent when he was on loan at Bolton (granted it was League One football).

Think he would have benefited from a loan in the Championship instead of going straight in in the PL though, still some bits of his game he needs to refine but given his age, plenty of time to develop.

Posted (edited)

To counter the at Burnley argument, Pickford excelled in that situation.  I always think keepers stand out when teams are struggling.

So there would be a risk attached imo.

Edited by El Prontonise

4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

you can only recall in January, so if Pope gets fucked in say September or February that'll be fun watching Dubravka again.

Time for Dubravka to leave

Fair point. Bye bye Martin.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 80 said:

Still of the view he helped stop us get relegated. Couldn't finish but led the line for us and let us begin to implement proper pressing.

Bit harsh. He took a good penalty. Just goal-scoringly challenged in open play.

Edited by Skeletor

3 minutes ago, NSG said:

Good idea, if we have an injury crisis again we can harvest spare body parts from the useless bastard.

The main issue for me would be, he's mainly going to improve by playing. Did well in League 1. Struggled in the Prem. Probably needs a year in the Championship now. Are we spending a lot of money on a prospect for him to not play and develop as much as he could do?

4 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

To counter the at Burnley argument, Pickford excelled in that situation.  I always think keepers stand out when teams are struggling.

I think he was still getting loaned out by Sunderland at that age wasn't he?